Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Focus did not come with the factory fog lamps and i'm planning on getting a pair of the them (OEM) and a new lower grill. Since i don't have fog lights, their's no wiring.... how can i wire the lights? I was thinking on wiring them to the low beam head lights so they'll run all togeather. Any ideas?

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
Parts that I bought for the job:
OEM Fog Lights
OEM Fog Light Lower Grille
OEM Fog Light Harnesses
20AMP Fuse
100 ft. package of 10-12 gauge electrical wire
Electrical Tape
Wire Cutter/Crimper/Stripper
Splice Connectors

Optional Parts:
Cordless Drill /w Drill Bits (To drill through the firewall so that you can run the wiring from the foglights to the fuse box)
OEM Fog Light Switch (If you want to use an actual switch)

I didn't get the OEM switch for it, but here's how I wired it up.

I ran a wire from each power wire (on the fog light harness) and led them to a central location (front upper grille area). Then spliced the the two foglight wires together.

I ran a wire from the spliced foglight connection up to the fuse box. Then I ran a second wire from the fuse box to the spliced foglight location. I used a 20AMP fuse and installed it in an open slot in the fuse box.

I connected the other end of the wire going from the fuse box back to the spliced connection area up to the middle wire for the front grille blinker (as that wire is constant power).

The idea here is once I turn on the parking lights, the foglights will also have power (this is the look that I wanted, which is similar to the effect of the foglight mod).

Connected the black wires on the foglight harnesses to nearby factory ground wires or grounding points to ground the lights. Make sure that the surface is clean!

Before you resecure and tape everything up, make sure to test the lights to ensure that they work before you put everything away.

Cheers!

-Brad

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 2005 ST came with factory fogs, but they weren't bright enough :D

I went out and bought a pair of PIAA 1400s, and mounted them behind my upper grill. Aimed the way they are, they hit the ground approx. 25ft in front of my car, and look good doing it :D

Plus, the cost was only $200 or so, considering I installed them myself, and ran the wire up onto the front of my dash, to the right of the steering wheel.

I image it was cheaper to get them than to buy OEM parts and piece it all together.

-John

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet set-up! thanks for the help! But i have the headlights with the halos and already have them connected to the middle wire (parking lamps), will i get some electrical damage if i'm draning to much power from there???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.