Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Being that your car doesn't have factory fog light wiring, did you ever check to see if you had 12 volt power at pin 7 of the headlight switch (when high beams are off)? If you don't then you won't have power at pin 3 when the fog light switch is in the on position.

Just a quick refresher here, for the wiring of the relay pin 85 should be going to pin 3 of the headlight switch, pin 86 of the relay should be going to ground along with one side of each bulb, pin 30 should go straight to the battery via the inline fuse, and pin 87 of the relay to the positive side of each bulb. As a test you should be able to jump pin's 30 and 87 of the relay socket together and the fog lights should come on.

If you do not have power on pin 7 (should be a red wire but could be a different color) then you will need to get power there somehow. As for where to source it, almost anywhere where you have power (ideally at all times) should work as it is a low current signal to control the relay.

As to why you car doesn't have the fog light wiring from the factory, reading back through this whole thread gave me an idea, you stated that your car does not have cruise control, so maybe cars without cruise control do not have the fog light wiring as they were a down-featured car, whereas vehicles with cruise control had the wiring for it. Sort of why the doors of my car have the wiring for heated mirrors (at least at the mirror connectors) but there is no wiring for them on the car side of the harness.

My posts on this thread 37 and 43 have my diagrams and instructions (full disclaimer I just noticed an error in post 43 and have edited it to be correct).

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Great info, pscordes. Thanks.

I'll try your jumper idea and see if they come on. That's a great idea and simple test. I'll get back to you with any updates.

If that is the case then that will lead me to pin 7. I can easily hook that up to an add a circuit to the interior fuse box.

Once again, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
611 Posts
got cruise on my 07 but no fog harness.
Well there goes my theory at least. Ah well who knows what Ford was thinking when some cars got the fog light harness and others didn't.

I do know on the bezel that I took out, one of them had a sticker that said it was a fog light delete bezel, so maybe it had fog lights which were removed prior to ownership, or perhaps it was just random. No one may ever know.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Well, first I checked for continuity and everything is good. Next I checked voltage through in-line fuse and that's good. Placed a jumper from pin 30 to 87 and both lights lit up. Harness works.

Next went inside and checked voltage at pin 7 of the switch... nada. So that is my problem.

Can I put an Add a Circuit into the fuse panel under the dash and splice it to pin 7? And if so, which number and Amp rating would be more preferable?

I'm almost home free!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
So close you can see the lights on! Oh wait, that's the sun glare.

This is really quite the project.

I don't see why you couldn't do that. You will need a bigger amp rating I should think.

I read that you should want to add an add-a-circuit, pick a fuse with a lower number like 7.5. Of course you want something that if the fuse blows it's not going to hurt anything or disable something.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
So close you can see the lights on! Oh wait, that's the sun glare.

This is really quite the project.

I don't see why you couldn't do that. You will need a bigger amp rating I should think.

I read that you should want to add an add-a-circuit, pick a fuse with a lower number like 7.5. Of course you want something that if the fuse blows it's not going to hurt anything or disable something.
No really, those were the lights! hehe

Since pscordes stated that it wouldn't require much current, which is good. Here are a few spots for 7.5Amps to choose from.

- Interior Lamps/Power Mirrors
- Radio and Cluster/Accessory
- Light Switch (Headlamps)
- Recirculated Air/Air Conditioning

Unsure which is the best.

As to this being "quite the project", you aren't kidding. If anything will go wrong with a project, no matter how simple, consider it a lock for me to run into every roadblock imaginable. I thought I checked voltage on my switch earlier, but I guess I am wrong. At least I know what is exactly the problem now. Once I fix this, I should be in the clear.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Since you will only be driving the relay you can pull power from just about anywhere that has constant 12 volt power (so that you can have the fog lights on when the car is off if you so desire too), perhaps from the constant power line that goes to the radio or to the 12 volt power feed to the cigarette lighter.

I am not at home right now, but when I do I can get you the constant 12 volt power wire to the radio information.

And btw it is pcordes not pscordes, or just Peter, I don't hide that, it is is my signature line :) .

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Thanks Peter. I have no idea why I started to put an "s" in there. Sorry.

There is no rush. Earliest I can do it would be tomorrow during lunch. I have class after work. Otherwise I really do appreciate the help!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Picky picky with his name...lol. Get it right!!

I can see lights on in the near future!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
So looking at my Haynes manual online, I see the follow wiring diagram to the radio.

It states that fuse 31 is hot at all times and 15A, while fuse 50 is 7.5A and hot in Run/ACC. These fuse numbers don't match mine in the owners manual. So I'll wait until Peter can check for me.

For me, fuse 31 is rated for 20A and is the radio, while fuse 57 is radio and cluster rated at 7.5A. This is what my owners manual states.

I know that the Haynes manual is for all mk1 & mk1.5 foci, which is why I'll wait. But just wanted to let you know what I see from my end.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That is probably for a different year of Focus (possibly 2000-2004) (as the Haynes manuals cover a wide range of years instead of 1 specific year like the Factory Service Manuals do, the Haynes manual also explicitly states it doesn't cover rear disc brakes). Especially if you plan on keeping your car for a while, I would highly recommend getting a set of the FSM's for your car, ebay is generally a good source, just be sure to get both the workshop manual and wiring diagram manual. Also apparently available on DVD as well. My personal opinion on the Haynes books, they are ok, good if you need to look up some torque value or some other piece of information when your hands are all greasy and you don't want to mess up your FSM's or computer to look stuff up, but they leave a lot to be desired but you do get what you pay for.

At least in 2006, and probably 2005 and 2007 there are actually 3 power wires going to the radio, Orange/Black off of fuse 62 7.5A for the hot in start radio stay on but mute going to pin 15 on the radio, another Orange/black off fuse 31 20A for the main radio power going to pin 1 (the one I would tap into if going that route but if you plan on upgrading your head unit consider using the hot wire to the cigarette lighter), and a Yellow/Green wire off fuse 41 going to pin 2 for the hot in Run/Accessory radio turn on signal.

As for using the cigarette lighter outlet wiring it goes off fuse 47 20A an Orange/Yellow wire. As stated before color wires can vary.

Also a few other differences there is no "anti-theft" wire for 2006, some of the other wire colors are slightly different.

On my pickiness, I wouldn't call it that, perhaps perfectionism as I am part/mostly German, but only part so not as perfection hungry as a full bred born and raised German would be :) .

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Thanks Peter. Can I take an add a circuit off of the interior fuse panel that controls the lighter or no? I'd hate to splice into another write. Lol

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
That's what I thought too. Luckily he stated that it is fuse 47. I will tale a 7.5A fuse off of it unless otherwise told.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Woohoo! It's alive!

Thank you all for your help. Most of all to FreeFocus and especially to you, Peter! Couldn't have done it without ya!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Awesome man! Can't wait to see the night pictures! Glad to see the switch worked out for you!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Yeah thank you! Me neither. I know that there won't be much output from these halogens H11's but still interested to see the difference. I'm extremely excited right now. I always wanted fogs, even before I started modding. Glad to end this year of modding on this note!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Looks good. Wasn't all that hard was it? I am a little surprised, but not that much, that you had to wire in a hot power source to the head light switch, but who knows what Ford was thinking when they did the wiring variants.

Some cars without fogs have the wiring for it so all that is required is to install everything and plug it all in, other cars like yours have the wiring going to the headlamp switch for it but nothing else and some of the wires aren't hooked up on the other side of them. My car has the wiring in the doors for heated side mirror and the subwoofer connector at the radio but no apparent wiring elsewhere for either.

On the light output remember they are fog lights not driving lights so they are meant to shoot a low beam to get under fog/snow and illuminate the road surface in front of the car better and not get the light reflected back to you causing glare.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Thanks pcordes. You were a great help through all of this.

Here is another look a bit darker at night.

I need to adjust the angle of the beams though. Is it possible to reach around the splash guard to the fogs to adjust them?

81 - 100 of 115 Posts