Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Focussport Turbos

Obviously everyone knows already but i was just on the site again and i must say, those are amazing deals. One your getting turbos from a reputable dealer where theyve been heavly tested. Two they give you amazing numbers, almost 200whp and wtq for the 2.0 and over that for the 2.3, and thats the non intercooled versions. Three the price, what an amazing deal 3k for a turbo, where else can you get a turbo for that kinda money that is already tuned and ready to bolt onto your car, a jrsc used to cost that much. Great deal, has anyone picked one up yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am debating it right now. My only concern is trying pass emissions tests every two years. I personally think it's an awesome setup, it's just the emissions BS you have to deal with. This is killing me!

·
FF Affiliate
31,746 Posts
Wait for the Hi Boost turbo kit before making a decision it comes intercooled for not much more money and from a Co that knows what there doing with turbos and have been doing turbos for many years more than fs , Hi Boost is a Co. that has been doing Turbos kits for a long time with a VERY GOOD customer track record with the Mazda croud and others

Tom

·
Registered
460 Posts
focussport makes their stage 1 turbo setup stealthy. it'd have a better chance of passing a visual inspection if need be. if i move to cali i hope its just a sniff check and call it good. anyone know the whether or not they look in your engine compartment?

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Hi Boost kit is the way to go. I believe this is the kit Tom is talking about. Better price, better components, good company and they made good power. They have some options on turbos as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
WEll just to give my .02

The Hi Boost folks may have more experience in turbos, but they don't have a proven track record with the Focus people yet. Focussport, on the other had, has proven that they will stand behind their products. So maybe a little piece of mind is worth more that a couple turbo options.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Buyin' mine next month!

·
Registered
862 Posts
homegrown2nr said:
WEll just to give my .02

The Hi Boost folks may have more experience in turbos, but they don't have a proven track record with the Focus people yet. Focussport, on the other had, has proven that they will stand behind their products. So maybe a little piece of mind is worth more that a couple turbo options.
I believe Tom and ourselves have more experience with the Focus than FS. If we work together it will be a no brainer. Don't let marketing cloud your thinking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On a tune for a turbo, don't you tend to run richer? It's the sniff test I'm worried about. Where I live they don't look under the hood. They just look under the car for a cat, then do a OBD and tailpipe test.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont know much about the focus and turboing....but WHATEVER YOU DO!!! DO NOT BUY A TURBO KIT WITH AN INNOVATIVE TURBO!!!!!!!! Turbonetics and Garrett ONLY!!! My Innovative turbo blew on my SRT-4 with only 16psi and 350whp in a month......and there not covering it under warranty........... I just dropped another $4,000 on a turbo kit ceramic coated, ported manifold, polished, etc...

·
FF Affiliate
31,746 Posts
BigTurboSRT4 do you even have a Focus ?

I have been running Innovative turbos for 4 years now and yes had 1 turbo go bad they they coverd afterlooking at it to make sure it wasent something i did wrong , If they didnt cover your turbo there was a reason for it take that up with them

Wait till you try to warranty a Garrett and they dont feel its there fault and you will get the same thing

Turbonetics is the ONLY Co. that gives an unconditional 1 year warranty all the rest judge warranty by fault and innovative felt it was something you did , now im sure your going to say it wasent but there is a number of things that are done wrong when installing turbos and 100% the installer sais it wasent and puts the blame on innovative

You comming in here and listing you have a SRT4 with 16 post and bashing me and bashing Innovative , If you dont have anything helpfull to say take it back to the SRT boards

Tom

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
the hi boost kit is street legal because you leave all stock components in place, and from the email I got from them last week, they say the only thing they don't have is a CARB sticker for it, if it came to visual you would fail but sniffer should be ok

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
shame Hi boost is only makin a kit for the Duratec....and not the Zetec.

·
Registered
343 Posts
blkZX32005 said:
the hi boost kit is street legal because you leave all stock components in place, and from the email I got from them last week, they say the only thing they don't have is a CARB sticker for it, if it came to visual you would fail but sniffer should be ok
ummm sorry but you are wrong, In many(most) states, due to federal laws you can't remove emissions equipment, the duratecs have an cat built into the maifold, a manicat, you can not remove a cat if it is funtioning properly and be legal, thus any turbo sys on the duratec is not legal, because you are altering emissions equipment, now it may pass a sniffer, but a well trained tech could get you on the visual.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I know that but what I am saying is they told me the cats stay in place.

·
Registered
354 Posts
the kits look like a sweet deal...gettin a focus up to 200hp for around 2 G's is really REALLY nice...

the dont seem to radical either...nothing that would mess up your engine

·
Registered
191 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Wait for the Hi Boost turbo kit before making a decision it comes intercooled for not much more money and from a Co that knows what there doing with turbos and have been doing turbos for many years more than fs , Hi Boost is a Co. that has been doing Turbos kits for a long time with a VERY GOOD customer track record with the Mazda croud and others

Tom
I'm not sure that your assessment of their relative experience is a fair one. HiBoost was started in 2002 by guys who apparently have years of experience with turbocharging. FocusSport was started in 2000 as a spinoff of a company started in 1988 building and racing VW's. Plenty of turbos in those 'dubs. As far as I can tell, they're both going to be very good kits, and FS has been working with the tuning on the Focus version of these engines since day one (where HiBoost is at least new to the Focus side of things). The HB kit looks like a great option, but as I said I don't think it's really fair to imply that FS is some kind of rookie here. I certainly agree with you that it would be a smart idea to at least wait for both full versions of the kit to come to market and see what fits one's needs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.