Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking into the focus sport headers because the f2 ones are sold out. and i was wondering if the mechanical cel fix will work on the headers. the peoples from FS said it would fit but i should wait for a ecu to fix the cel.

Thanks,
Jacob

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the header isnt what makes the mechincal fix that syz wrote up work... it works or doesnt work from car to car. theres no guarantee that it'll work for you, but theres a chance it may work for you, and not your neighbor, or vice versa

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
Unless u have a cai and a free flowing exhaust don't even bother with a header. A tune will net u more HP levels with free flowing intake and exhaust flow. So wait till a tune come's out then get the header.
No matter what anyone say's a header is better with a tune. Cause u removing emissions stuff and i tune is needed to make A/F right again.

so sorry anyone who say any other way that the way it work's

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
if you install a header without a tune, the computer is still within its limits to tune to the proper a/f ratio, you can even go as far as stage 1 cams, and still be within the limits of the PCM's tuning limits.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i was just concerned because idk how many o2 sensors the header has. and i have an exhaust and am getting a cai as soon as a real one comes out, that and the '08s have no tune yet.
on the site it said it came with a o2 sensor extender, so i was thinking it only had one.

but thanks nonetheless

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
if i were you, sinse your waiting anyways... just get the f2 one... its a good one... and with the 2.0 that you have it'll work better with it, and when i ordered mine. ricardo called me, to verify the info, and i made sure he knew i had 3 o2 sensors... so if i were, thats how i would play it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah that's waht i was going to do. but lucky me they sold out right when i got all the money together to buy one. :)

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
well hon hon i don't know what u talking about ether way once that check engine light pop's on the car run's rich. So don't tell anyone they can remove emission stuff and don't need a tune

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the only reason, when removing the cat... the check engine light comes, on is because the PCM is getting the incorrect signal from the rear o2 sensor... it has NOTHING to do with the a/f ratio... yes there is air that is free-er flowing now, but the PCM can adjust to compensate using the first o2 sensor...

if the 3rd o2 sensor i.e. the rear sensor was such an important part of the motor running properly... why was my car running properly while switching between FS tune to Tom's tune? i got a CEL from the rear o2 sensor missing... but the a/f ratio was actually spot on, considering i have stage 2 cams...

yes you are removing emissions equipment. but again, it has nothing to do with how the motor runs... nothing...

and to go even further... when i did my gauge cluster swap, i had to disconnect the fuel sender wire... i eventually got a check engine light, but my car never ran different... it had fuel, and thats all it cared about... it didnt run any richer or leaner...

the PCM is adaptive, and will adapt to whatever is thrown at it, to this best of its parameters...

tom or any of the other tuners will tell you, that when they "disable" the rear o2, they arent changing the a/f ratio or anything, they are just IIRC, removing the code or giving the PCM a false code saying the cat is ok.

basically, the CEL is to take the car to a dealership, so they can take a look at the mechnical side of the car and let you know whats wrong...

how do you know that your car is running richer btw, when the CEL pops up?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Even with a tune the car adjusts the A/F ratio through use of the O2 sensor. It is only at WOT that the tune and customized mapping takes over.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
if you install a header without a tune, the computer is still within its limits to tune to the proper a/f ratio, you can even go as far as stage 1 cams, and still be within the limits of the PCM's tuning limits.
Not 100% correct. My car won't idle worth a damn and will sometime die when going from high rpm's to idle with my Cosworth Stage 1 cams when I'm on my stock tune.[hihi]

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
Cause it is a proven fact once a check engine light show's up the computer adds/removes fuel depending on the code such as a bank 1 running rich code will lean it. and a cat code it will richin it. Every car is going to be alittle differt one car such as urs could run fine cause of how u drive it and one car could run like crap untuned cause of how u drive it.
so please stop telling people ah throw cams and a header on ur car it'll be fine. The simple fact is you will make more power with a tune and have the computer tweeked for ur set up. I know when i had my 05 with a header untuned driving it like a always did i got 20-22 mpg tuned 28-30 and that was with 30-32 before adding the header.
so i know first hard and i have seen it on many car's removing emissions items such as a cat can hurt mpg and which tells me engine is running rich so tune ur cars

IF u don't want to do it right don't do it at all

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
Kinda funny because I get the same if not better gas mileage with my cams and header on stock tune than with my tune.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Not 100% correct. My car won't idle worth a damn and will sometime die when going from high rpm's to idle with my Cosworth Stage 1 cams when I'm on my stock tune.[hihi]
my car did the same thing with my 2's the idle just needs to be raised... sinse i installed my FP tune and the idle was set to 900rpm's i havent had a problem sinse.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
your comparing MPG to a car running rich?

if thats the case, then my car is running super rich... but for some reason my wideband says otherwise.

and wheres this proven fact that if the cat CEL is lit up, that the motor richens itself up?

what i am saying is that the rear o2 sensor is a monitor, it cant tell the PCM to add or remove fuel. only the front one and somewhat middle one can.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
505 by no means am i rubbing any of this in your face, i just want the facts spilled out for everyone to read, so i did my own test tonight with my own car:

i removed my focuspower tune and returned my car back to stock and drove it around:

after driving to the end of the street heres my a/f

heres my crappy low ass idle to show that i was running the stock tune

a/f while driving, you can see my speedo moved up alittle around the 40mph mark

CEL came on while driving

a/f after driving

and heres my code when i pulled into the driveway before i cleared it and reloaded my focuspower tune.

and mind you... i have my sensor completely unplugged and gone, as i have my wideband in its place.

the motor bounced into the 13's and up to the max of 16 just like normal... but i couldnt beat on it as its 10 minutes to 10... but when the cel came on, i didnt notice any difference in my a/f ratio.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
my car did the same thing with my 2's the idle just needs to be raised... sinse i installed my FP tune and the idle was set to 900rpm's i havent had a problem sinse.
I know. I set my tune to 900rpm's as well and haven't had any problems. I was just being a smart ass.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
So your wideband is only reading the oxygen levels of one primary on the header? I always thought it was best to weld another bung in the collector for better results.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
my wideband is where the rear cat o2 sensor would be... right after the collector and before the flexpipe. so it monitors all cylinders

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.