Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can get the most up to date information on this build at the FocusRush blog at http://focusrush.com/blog/p4-5/

Here's what I got.

It's a 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Zetec and it belongs to my rommate. I'm the one that convinced him to get a focus, I have repaired and mintained it for him for the past three years and now he has deployed. I am also the one that convinced him to join the military (I said Navy, he went Army, and now he's picking sound out of every orphus).

Anyways, He has entrusted me with his car and has asked me to do a few repairs to it while he is gone for the next year or so.

My plan is to go well beyond that and make it into his dream focus with your help and the help of some local businesses. That way, he won't have to worry about his less than stellar car when he gets home. The transition back home can be just as, if not more difficult, than the transition into combat.

Here is what it looks like today (don't be fooled by the photo, it's a turd up close)

And after speaking with him about theoretical future mods with him over the past few months, here is what it will look like when it's done:

Check out the blog for the complete list of planned modifications and repairs. I am very thankful to the local focus community that has already pledged their man-hours to help with any repairs and modifications that will be done in the garage, and I am thankful to the body shop that has pledged to do ALL of the body work for FREE!

Please let me know if you have anything that you would like to contribute to this project. I'm truly hoping that this project is something that entire focus community can get behind.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
This looks like a great project for a great cause! I wish I could come and be hands on to help out but I'm on the wrong coast :-/. Good luck and keep us updated!

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankfully, the local focus guys seem to be more than willing to lend a hand.

The springs are ready for install and the wheels have been acquired and are ready for powdercoating. Things are moving faster than anticipated.

·
Registered
293 Posts
nice way to support our troops!

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
nice

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new EAP wheels are having the tires dismounted tomorrow and will be at the powdercoaters this coming week! Friggin' Schweet.

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheels are on a bit early. Next is some mechanical repairs and a drop.

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's about the height I'm going for. Not too low, but not 4x4 status. I'm thinking Eibach Prokit. It's just a DD and he has his dog in the car with him from time to time. Don't want it too stiff.

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've run vogtland on P2, P4, P6, P7. I like them. At this point, it's all about price and/or who's willing to give me what. I'm very open to them though.

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got confirmation from Commercial Auto Body here in Oxnard, CA that they are going to donate all body work and paint for this project! We discussed a timeline for this and agreed that it should be the last on the list and we'll have it done closer to his safe return home next year. This will keep it from getting scratched, dinged, or dented while other work is happening.

I'll be setting up a date to have local focus owners come help with stripping everything off for re-paint to help save some time a labor for the bodyshop. We'll need the help again once it's all done to put everything back together.

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did a few repairs and maintenance items yesterday in the engine bay. I found several vacuum leaks which were all easily repaired. I kept finding more and more. Surprisingly, The check engine light wasn't on until I fixed the first leak. 6 in total leaks which just led me to replace all of the vannume lines I could find. What a MASSIVE difference in how the car runs and sounds.

After the leaks, I moved on to replacing the thermostat housing with a new contour unit. fairly straight forward and no more coolant leak.

Now on to figuring out what's leaking oil, and then an electrical bug of why the brake lights always stay on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Brake light switch is what u need to fix the lights staying on. Cool project your doing here.

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The brake light switch is fine. I've already replaced it in the past. I believe it to be the wiring in at the top of the hatch that is the issue. It currently has a cheap LED 3rd brake light and I have a feeling it may be causing issues, or worst case scenario, there is a chopped up wiring harness which is not uncommon to happen.

As for the contour thermostat housing, it's just a better design that doesn't crack, which is common for the zetec focus one to do.

I just sold his original wheels and tires and P9's SVT springs so I have a few bucks to spend on the car for some parts and repairs that I won't be able to get for free. Going to the junkyards this week to track down a working cruise control module.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I had to add a resistor to my LED 3rd brake light for the brake light to go away. If you don't find any cracked wires in the hatch, maybe go back to the bulb style 3rd brake light.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts