Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FocusedOnSVT's 2003 SVT Focus build, Black Betty

Hi all!

Well, I used to own a 2004 ZTW wagon. Pretty meh. Buuuuuuut. It had the unicorn 2.3L in it. You just don't find that in Wisconsin!

Buuuuuut. On January 6th... This happened....

Tasha, as I had dubbed her, was so clean and practical. But some good things can't last. Sooooooo....

I started looking on Craigslist. And I found Matt, the owner of Speedway Recyclers. Speedway is a Focus-specialized salvage yard and part seller in Maribel, WI, practically in my backyard. He was selling a black 2003 3 door SVT Focus. After texting and talking in person for a while, we finally worked a deal: my wrecked wagon and $2500 for this car. Here she is!

Pics from Craigslist:

My own pics:

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's also saving my old wagon. Stretching the frame back out and selling it or making a project out of it. Win-win!

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp. She's sitting in the garage not running for now. Clunked out on me and can't target the problem, so I'm having our family friend who's a Ford tech come look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've noticed the SVT focus badge on a few focuses. I have an '03 as well, but I have the EAP. My badge is only svt. Why is that? Does the EAP not say svt focus or is this not an original emblem?

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright. Time for a decision. I think I have decided to keep the car. My conundrum is whether to rebuild the engine or swap in a newly rebuilt one. I'm leaning toward swapping, but I am going to remove the valve cover, oil pan, and head tonight and tomorrow to look and see the damage. Opinions? I don't think I could manage either by myself, so mechanical help is needed.

Also, any simple instructions on how to remove the valve cover and head? Links to another thread? Thanks!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
IF you get on the computer at the top of the page is a search bar, not trying to be smart, but you can get a lot of information and not have to wait on other people to join in. Plus search what is specific to you.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a coincidence.

I am friends on Facebook with a guy down in Slinger, WI, who races SVT Foci at the speedway there. He happened to have a parts car he is parting out to get rid of, and I asked the price on the engine. $1400 for a 55k mile engine. I'll take that!!!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
Was it a former racecar engine for him? Not beat to death?

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a racecar. Was a parts car he bought.

It was in a front end collision, so I will be checking the crank pulley to make sure nothing hit that.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
G/L, hope a decent one comes your way now that you've decided on repair.

Timing belt in the offing for any one you put in, even a 55k one is over 10 yrs. old now.

Is that better than any you located elsewhere?

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More than likely. We can haul it here ourselves. I could always take the tbelt off my broken engine

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
NO - don't do that!

Tension procedure for a new timing belt only works once, I've seen too many posting in the SVT section on trying to make it work right without much luck when they try to do it over later on after it's been running.

Check it out for yourself when you get a chance.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correction: my uncle will be thoroughly looking it over this week since he lives in Slinger too. If he says it's good: we make the trip down and get it!

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just found out about another engine right near me for $300 cheaper and with only 80k. Gonna check it out this weekend maybe

1 - 20 of 228 Posts