Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow fanatics!

Picked up my Twilight Blue ZX5 PZEV ATX last weekend and just wanted to thank you all for your contributions to this forum - made the task of researching a new car both easy and fun.

First off, let me just say that this car is AWESOME. I've been following the development of the Focus since its introduction and it's everything the reviews have raved about and more! Great balance, fantastic grip, more than adequate power (esp. with the new PZEV), and utterly practical. The smoothness and cornering ability are amazing for a car at this price point IMHO. The new PZEV motor acts more like a small 6 - unlike any other 4 cyl. I've driven. I suspect the balanced shafts have a lot to do with the engine's smoothness, much like the old 4 cyl. Porsches.

This is probably old news to most of you, but for prospective buyers the Focus has won numerous awards. These include C&D's 10 best list (4 yrs. running?), and the prestigious European Car of the Year Award. I've lived/driven extensively throughout Europe and other parts of the world and can tell you that the Euros know exactly what they're talking about when it comes to high performance autos.

To the naysayers who claim this car is incapable of high performance, I say you don't know how to drive. Cars I've owned in the past include: Orig. Nissan Sentra SE-R, BMW E30 M3 (orig.), and for the last 2 years I've had the privilege of piloting an Audi B5 (edited from B6 for reference) S4 Avant. The M3 was tracked on occasion back in New England and currently sits in the garage awaiting transition to full race (just need to save up the cash, heh). Incidentally, the old M3 also uses a NA 2.3 liter 4 cyl., but makes its power much higher in the rev range than our PZEV foci.[;)] Great on the track, less so for the street.

As an example of the Focus's cornering ability, there's a particular downhill, off-camber, decreasing radius turn around here that really shows the level of a cars' mechanical grip (or lack thereof). It also contains numerous highway rivets that can be a handful in wet conditions. The Focus, with its fully independent rear suspension, took the the turn in the wet at a speed that would have the old M3 swapping ends in about half a second - if the driver doesn't know what he/she is doing.

Well, I'm done - sorry for the lengthy post. What can I say? I'm a fanatic! If any of you have any questions about the '04 PZEV, feel free to ask. I have the manual right in front of me, although I do still have much to learn about the car. Btw, I do not work for Ford nor do I condone racing on the street. I just love cars and driving and I'll always be proud to have owned a Focus. Thanks again.

FF

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum - I can't believe someone else had not already nabbed the screen name FocusFanatic. [:D] I figured that one would have been taken a long time ago...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx a lot guys.

This car just impresses me more and more every day. hotfocus - think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't own a digital camera lol. I'll have one on my cellphone but dunno if that'll help. SVT4ME - that's what I thought when I casually typed the name in...and got it?!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome dude,

I was considering the Matrix when someone suggested the Focus, I'll admit I hadn't even thought of it... then I researched and test drove one and purchased it on the spot. Since then 3 people have purchased Focuses based on my reccomendation.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Welcome!
Does it say that your from Northern Virginia? If so, your kinda close to me! (I'm on the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.)

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Sweet. The 2004s are here. I gotta see it and see if its different from my 2003.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZX3_Chick - yup, I'm in Arlington (Metro D.C. area). I hear W. VA is a beautiful state, probably a lot more to my liking too. Hope to get out there someday soon.

Forgot to mention about the car's ride quality and looks. I think (at reasonable hwy speeds and below) the stock Focus' body control motions are as good or better than a stock B5 S4's. It also looks great, even stock. With wheels/tires/suspension it's just beyond secksay. [:D]

I'll try to post pics asap, the car deserves it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
They are the exact same Egz, I drove both when I purchased mine 3 weeks ago, they had just taken delivery of my 03' and it was in the offsite lot so we drove a 04' to it that didn't have the options I wanted.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Ah. I meant a non-green state 2.3l. I was wondering if they changed anything.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
FocusFanatic said:
ZX3_Chick - yup, I'm in Arlington (Metro D.C. area). I hear W. VA is a beautiful state, probably a lot more to my liking too. Hope to get out there someday soon.

Well, that's not too far away. Maybe one day you could run up to one of our meets that we have once and a while[:D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts