Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change a fuel pump on this model? does the tank have to be dropped or can I get to it from the top? Can I check the pressure on the fuel rail and where is the valve to hook the guage up to? all help appreciated.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
How hard is it to change a fuel pump on this model?
Access is the difficult part since the fuel pump is housed entirely within the tank.

does the tank have to be dropped or can I get to it from the top?
Drop the tank: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153562
Some have cut access doors in the rear passenger seat area over top the pump using tin snips or the like. There is a wiring harness/hoses nearby.

Can I check the pressure on the fuel rail and where is the valve to hook the guage up to?
There is no Schrader valve on the stock fuel rail. You can buy adapters. For example:
http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfmfuelpressuregaugenitrousfuelfeedadapterfor00-04zetecfocus.aspx

The early cars had problems with the fuel pumps handled by a "recall" of sorts/TSB. The coverage period expired after ten years. The pump was redesigned in later models (post '03, I think).

You might just want to try replacing the fuel filter first if you haven't already and you're having fuel delivery problems. It's supposed to be done every 25K miles. It's located under the car in front of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
401 Posts
the usual way is to drop the tank, and there is a special tool for removing the retaining ring for the pump access cover, You can if your really careful cut a hole in the floor over the top of the cover but, gas fumes will build quickly inside the car if your not careful.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If it buzzes when you turn the key to ON, then it's probably working. I typically advise people to double check the fuel cutoff switch by bypassing it at the connector- just to be sure. 99.9% of the time it's the fuel pump itself that's the reason why you don't hear buzzing when you turn the key on. All EFI cars do this, so if you want to figure out what you're listening for, then find another vehicle that runs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts