Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I'm trying to decide between a 95 civic eg or a focus zx3. i like the zx3's a lot but my only doubts are performance parts available. i know whats out there for a 5th gen civic but what about zx3? looking for strut bars (solid type only!) sway bars, maybe coil overs? etc. whatver car i pick i want it to be able to handle curves. not too worried about ride quality. i need help deciding.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Moved to "Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis". I had separated your two questions since they were dealt with in two different sections. I moved this one to here and the other one can be found in the MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades section.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ok so I'm trying to decide between a 95 civic eg or a focus zx3. i like the zx3's a lot but my only doubts are performance parts available. i know whats out there for a 5th gen civic but what about zx3? looking for strut bars (solid type only!) sway bars, maybe coil overs? etc. whatver car i pick i want it to be able to handle curves. not too worried about ride quality. i need help deciding.
There are alot of performance parts..Check these sites out... Everything you need strut bars, coil overs etc.

I picked up massive strut bar and svt eap wheels and that drastically improve cornering...

http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/
http://www.fswerks.com/
http://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/home.asp

Also the big brands like H&R, Koni and more

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new to the Focus too but I've been reading up in case I want to turn my car into a H Street competitor.

Getting a 25mm Eibach rear bar and some OTS Koni Yellows should provide for a pretty good handling car. Of course, you'll need some sticky tire to match that otherwise those rubber blocks people car all-seasons will dampen the fun quickly. Looks like this setup will cost about $900 all-in.

Not sure about the strut bar, but the post above has one recommended.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
If you want your car stolen,

Buy the Honda.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My old boss had a 93 civic (more or less the same car as the 95, afaik), he's got coil overs on it, upgraded suspension arms, JDM motor, neat car to drive. Handles like a slot car.

My son has a 2000 Focus SE Sedan, with Vogtland springs, stock replacement dampers, Eibach sways, 16x7s with 205/55s, urethane bushings in the front suspension, and an exhaust. The car is a blast to drive, very responsive handling wise, lots of feel etc (in fact, I think the car has better "feel" to it than the honda)...

The civic, with the 170hp motor is obviously a little quicker, but it also needs all 8,000 revs to get going. I think the zetec motor, if my boy had cams, would easily feel as peppy as the civic.

I don't know that you'll go wrong with either car, and there are plenty of parts available for the Focus. Sometimes I want to pick up a ZX3, throw suspension goodies at it, pop some cams in, exhaust, and put the euro bumpers on it (much smaller) and fly around with a fun little car (or i could just get an SVT and do the susp/euro bumps).

I do think the zx3 with the euro bumps on it is a better looking car than the civic, but YMMV.

Have fun!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My old boss had a 93 civic (more or less the same car as the 95, afaik), he's got coil overs on it, upgraded suspension arms, JDM motor, neat car to drive. Handles like a slot car.

My son has a 2000 Focus SE Sedan, with Vogtland springs, stock replacement dampers, Eibach sways, 16x7s with 205/55s, urethane bushings in the front suspension, and an exhaust. The car is a blast to drive, very responsive handling wise, lots of feel etc (in fact, I think the car has better "feel" to it than the honda)...

The civic, with the 170hp motor is obviously a little quicker, but it also needs all 8,000 revs to get going. I think the zetec motor, if my boy had cams, would easily feel as peppy as the civic.

I don't know that you'll go wrong with either car, and there are plenty of parts available for the Focus. Sometimes I want to pick up a ZX3, throw suspension goodies at it, pop some cams in, exhaust, and put the euro bumpers on it (much smaller) and fly around with a fun little car (or i could just get an SVT and do the susp/euro bumps).

I do think the zx3 with the euro bumps on it is a better looking car than the civic, but YMMV.

Have fun!
thats awesome! just the response i was looking for. the thing thats most tricky about civics is that all of them are teenage owned, meaning they have been spray painted badly, improper parts/cheap aftermarket parts etc. where as focuses are untouched for the most part making them a lot more enjoyable to the mind to look at. not to mention, OBD II lol those websites do have a lot of good parts and info! ill be checking back when i decide what purchases ill be looking at.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also i noticed that a lot of the performance parts were only from 2000-2004, if i were to get an 2005 would i be screwed? lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
In 06 there were changes to the suspension, but there are inexpensive adapters allowing you to use earlier parts. Motor wise I think it went zetec to duratec about the same time, and as far as I know there should be parts available there too. In the duratec, they also offered a 2.3, so extra power right out of the box. Tunes are available for everything, mk3's included, turbo kits, etc. I'd probably look for one of the early cars because I like the original design, but there should be enough to keep you happy for about any car you choose. Just hit the different sub forums and keep searching for aftermarket parts for the years, you'll get a pretty good feel.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
In 06 there were changes to the suspension, but there are inexpensive adapters allowing you to use earlier parts. Motor wise I think it went zetec to duratec about the same time, and as far as I know there should be parts available there too. In the duratec, they also offered a 2.3, so extra power right out of the box. Tunes are available for everything, mk3's included, turbo kits, etc. I'd probably look for one of the early cars because I like the original design, but there should be enough to keep you happy for about any car you choose. Just hit the different sub forums and keep searching for aftermarket parts for the years, you'll get a pretty good feel.
This^^^^^^ + there are '03-'04 d-tech's & then all d-tech in '05. Suspension wise= '00-'05 all use the same except wgn rear shocks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so bringing back an old thread, I'm still thinking about a focus. my truck never sold and i changed my mind and was gonna keep it right? here's the change of heart...The 2 seater with no cab is getting rather old! There's no carpet, air comes into the cab, nothing fits inside comfortably, etc. It's not a good daily driver I hate to say. Anyways back to the story. I'm thinking i may put my truck on the market and see what i get. my trucks main usage is for pulling mine and my gf's dirt bikes but there's a problem that keeps reoccurring. While the bikes are in the back there's no room for our helmets, pads, gear, lunch, etc. in the cab making it a very miserable claustrophobic trip. Not only that, the truck is lifted so getting the bikes in and out is almost suicide.

So anyways my plan was to get a canopy (and sacrifice more mpg :/) and get a trailer for the bikes, but after our last trip i saw a old wagon volvo towing 2 full size bike, and an audi pulling 3 full sized bikes! So as you guessed my mind is shifting what it wants. we only go ride one or twice every few months so why not have a fun, economical, more "practical" car to drive everyday that i can hook a trailer up and load up the hatch with the gear and go ride?

so my question is; is it asking a little too much to have a little focus towing 7-800 lbs? its mostly flat the whole way but the last like 6 miles it gets kinda steep. not to mention the logging roads we gotta drive on.

what do you think? whats your thoughts? thanks!

the trailer im looking at weighs 330-400lbs, my bike is around 220, and my girlfriends is about 180-190.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Me thinks you're playing in different worlds, but IMO a "cross over" only goes one way (off road -> paved road).

What do bikes weigh? Seems to me you'd be closer 1000lbs or more since I don't know how a trailer for them would weigh less than 500lbs (and figure at least 250 ea for the bikes?).

While I think the Foci are neat cars, not sure how well they'd tow something up a steep hill on dirt with extra weight. If you lower the car at all, I would think logging roads would become a little more challenging (depending on how well they're maintained, I guess...).

If you like dirt biking, I would think "newer" extra cab truck would better suit your needs. Just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me thinks you're playing in different worlds, but IMO a "cross over" only goes one way (off road -> paved road).

What do bikes weigh? Seems to me you'd be closer 1000lbs or more since I don't know how a trailer for them would weigh less than 500lbs (and figure at least 250 ea for the bikes?).

While I think the Foci are neat cars, not sure how well they'd tow something up a steep hill on dirt with extra weight. If you lower the car at all, I would think logging roads would become a little more challenging (depending on how well they're maintained, I guess...).

If you like dirt biking, I would think "newer" extra cab truck would better suit your needs. Just my thoughts though.
like I said:

the trailer im looking at weighs 330-400lbs, my bike is around 220, and my girlfriends is about 180-190.

i have a 97 kdx220 2 stroke and its a pretty light bike. no more then 230 lbs at most, my girlfriend has a 04 ttr125 base model. dry it weighs 185.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hwy. - no problem. "Steep dirt road" - who knows?

I've done some in a car that the truck wouldn't make it up for axle hop in years gone by, but FWD & a trailer is kinda asking for it. Mind ya, it all depends on the road & it's condition that day...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the dirt road isn't steep just the actual paved roads slow my truck down to 3rd gear, after than it just putts up it but granted fwd with a heavy load in the rear can be a bother. after all semi's arent fwd, although some will argue that pulling a car is better then pushing...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts