Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to this forum. By next week i'm getting a 2002 Focus ZTS its atx. Right now i have a 2001 Dodge neon SE its also atx. Focus have 130hp at crank and neons have 132hp at crank so i was wondering which one is faster. thanks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
yeah it might be faster b/c of weight but forget the neon this is a focus site just kiddin welcome aboard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there any tips if i want to race a focus. like would it shift gears if its in first gear when it readlines or stuff like that.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The neon my be a little faster right off the line, but they fall on thier face after that. Neons are such turds. They have a hard time hittin 85mph. Your foci will smoke that neon!! I raced a neon (fixed up) and i could beat it in 4th gear (had 2 more to go) and I was only goin 95mph

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I had a automatic Neon (2000) and it was okay. My boyfriend had it up to 110 BTW. But it took it a while to get up there.
Hurry up and get a Focus so you can be cool![:D] [;)]

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Here's the specs for an '01 R/T
Year 2001
Make Dodge
Model Neon
Trim R/T
Transmission 5-speed Manual
Theoretical Top Speed 125 mph
Limited Top Speed

0-30 mph 2.50 s
0-40 mph 4.30 s
0-50 mph 5.90 s
0-60 mph 7.60 s
0-70 mph 10.50 s
0-80 mph 13.30 s
0-90 mph 17.60 s
0-100 mph 22.90 s

100 ft 3.30 s
500 ft 8.80 s
1320 ft (1/4 mile) 16.10 s @ 87 mph

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's an R/T, My brother has a 2003 Neon SX, I have my 2002 Focus ZTW, (both are automatics) he takes me off the line, but I always ended up winning. It may have more HP, but the Focus has more torque. Now I just school him, but I have a t/b and intake, he's got nothing.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It's annoying to be beat by a Neon, but yes, they are quicker than most people give them credit for. Having an SVT, I can pretty much count on being able to beat the lesser Neons, having a close(r) race against an R/T or ACR and having my ass handed to me by an SRT-4. On the subject of the SRT-4, man that thing is loud! I don't know how Dodge managed to get that into production as loud as it is. [eek]

My "company" car is a 2002 Dodge Neon with the SOHC engine and an ATX. Engine doesn't seem all that bad (pretty noisy), but the ATX usually leaves me irritated. I haven't driven a manual Neon, but I suspect that I would enjoy it more. Being a driving instructor (and the Neon being the training car) I probably shouldn't admit this but I have had the Neon well over 100mph before. It got there without massive struggle, but I was already traveling at about 75 on the freeway and just punched it. I'm sure getting to 100 from a stop would be a different story.

As anti-Neon as I have come across on this forum, I still entertain the idea of either (a) getting a 2nd-gen ACR and making a nice sleeper or (b) just giving up and buying an SRT-4. [paranoid]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
silent said:
is there any tips if i want to race a focus. like would it shift gears if its in first gear when it readlines or stuff like that.
get the 5 spd. just bein honest, atx isnt much of a strip terrorizer. if u want performance, get the 5 spd, so much more u can do. with an atx, u either build the tranny, turbo it, and run 13-12s. or u dont build it, do all the bolt ons u can, and run a high 15.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
welcome aboard and you should just get that focus already. they are great cars

·
Registered
793 Posts
i havent done any performance mods yet on my 00 zetec and i ran a 16.99 at the strip i hope after a t/b intake and maybe a few others i can shave off a second!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wanted a mtx but i'm getting a good deal on the focus. its has about 15k miles and its only 4g's. so its cheat.
i cant imagine a focus being slower in the take off because my 2nd gen neon its real slow in the take off and once its at 30mph it takes off. i have no problem getting over 110mph. but the only problem with the neon is that it cant go faster than 118mph.
does anyone have any times for the quater mile. with and w/o mods. for a stock neon its about 17.2 with a atx. i think the focus could do better than that.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
118 huh? That's not too shabby. A stock non-SVT Focus tops out in the 108 ballpark. I have students who see that 120mph speedo in the Neon and they're like "yeah but I bet this thing can't even go that fast, right?" I guess it can get pretty close. [:D]

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
SVT4ME said:
118 huh? That's not too shabby. A stock non-SVT Focus tops out in the 108 ballpark. I have students who see that 120mph speedo in the Neon and they're like "yeah but I bet this thing can't even go that fast, right?" I guess it can get pretty close. [:D]
You don't let them try?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Infra3sv said:
You don't let them try?
[hihi] If I did I'd get fired pretty quickly - the car has the school's name and phone number plastered all over it. Believe me when I tell you that people do call and complain about things they saw us doing out on the roads. I did actually have one student a long time ago who tried her best to see how fast that car would go - I had to remind her that she was never going to pass the test if she couldn't even keep the car out of triple-digit speeds on the freeway!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts