Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ford Focus with a Zetec-E engine. Its mileage is over 75K. But I need to know the Engine is non-interference design or not, because it is related if I need change the timing belt.

Anyone knows the answer for this question? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah it is, and yeah, you should change it every 70-80k miles. It's cheap for peace of mind that it won't break and you'll be stranded.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can go well past 70-80K...they're good to over 100K. The earliest I've seen one break (guide pulley killed it, didn't break) was 108K...seen them go almost 120K.

When you do it, replace ALL the guide pullies and tensioner. They will not last to the next belt -- when they die, they eat the belt -- and it's the same amount of work to do a pulley (with a chewed belt) as it is to do a belt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you look in the maintenance guide that should have come with your car, ford doesnt even recommend you change the timing belt till after 100k.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well I can attest that timing belts can last until 123984. And yes that's the current mileage on my car. I checked the belt not too long ago and it was fine. I couldn't tell you what a bad pulley would look like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts