Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Have an interesting issue. My 2000 zts won't start in the cold. Won't even turn over, just clicks. It's been suggested to me that its the solenoid on the starter, of which I bought a new one but have yet to replace the old. However from some of the stuff I've read it may just be the battery or the thermostat? Just looking to see if anyone has had the same issue and how they may have solved it. Hoping to save some $$ if I can.

Thanks for your time
Cheers

·
Registered
199 Posts
Clicking can mean battery. If you have another car, swap out the batteries and see if it starts then. It's possible that the lower temperatures mean that your marginal battery isn't able to source enough juice to turn the motor over. Colder temperatures lower electrical resistance, so that the same components will sink more current until they heat up.

Alternatively, I think some auto parts stores will test your battery for free, in the hopes that you need a new one and that you'll buy it from them.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Colder temperatures lower electrical resistance, so that the same components will sink more current until they heat up.

And the output of the battery also declines, as well as the thicker oil requiring more force to turn the engine over.

First thing is to check the battery terminals and loosen/clean/re-tighten them.

If your battery is 4-5 years old or older, it is probably 90% that the battery is the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts