Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang! I'm calling on your expertise. I have a 2000 Focus SE 2L split port with a 130000 miles. It started to sputter on my wife today on her way to the dentist. About 2 hours later she starts the car. It still sputters. She was almost out of gas so she went to fill up. Started the car after filling up.... still sputters. I get off work, start the car drive it.... sputtters. I clean the MAF filter, tap the fuel rail... now it won't start!!! I did pull some codes: P0113, P0190, P0193, p0303. They all seem to be related to fuel. Ignition is fine, I can hear the fuel pump engage for a couple of seconds, it just won't turn over. It also reeks of gas (flooding) from trying to start it. The Engine light did/is on and it's about 100 degrees out today.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
the code p0113 is intake air temp high, might be from the outside temp, the p0190 is fuel rail pressure malfuntion, i am thinking fuel presure regulator, code p0193 fuel rail pres high, also thinking fuel presure regulator went bad, and p0303 is cyl3 misfire could be from flooding out from high presure. i would let it sit awile to let the fuel evaporate and get a fuel presure regulator.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I ould also pull the plugs and put in fresh ones if you can't get it to light..That will also allow you to "dry" the cylinders :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would I get those codes p0190,p0193 (fuel rail) if I wasn't getting any spark? For example, if the coil went bad? The smell of gas makes me think that the regulator is working, it's just not getting any combustion? Just a thought before I go buy a regulator.

Thanks again.
MIke

·
Registered
40 Posts
you would not get those codes if you were not getting spark, it sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is stuck on wide open, that is why you are smelling gas. but if you pull off a plug wire and stick a small screwdriver in the end and set it on the valvecover ( dont hold it) and crank the engine you should see spark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate your input. One more question. On the 2.0 SPI, is the fuel pressure regulator contained in the fuel pump? I just see a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
There is no fuel pressure regulator. The fuel sensor tells the ECU what the pressure is, and it regulates the voltage to the fuel pump.

To pump the engine without fuel being sprayed follow this procedure. Key off, floor accelerator, turn key to start. The usual startup squirt of fuel will not be sprayed, and the fuel injectors stay closed. Everything else works as normal. This it the procedure to use during flooding conditions. When the engine sputters, turn the key off, and then start normally. Do not crank the engine for longer than 20 seconds.

You probably have either fuel sensor problems, or spark problems. Look at the condition of the spark plugs when removing them and note any deposits. That will help diagnose the situation in the individual combustion chambers. Note any differences in color, condition, gap, and what type of deposits.

SPIs are known to self destruct around 150k miles due to dropping a valve seat. It's not a good idea to keep this car. If you do keep it, then you are due for a timing belt. I highly suggest you overdo the timing belt, have the head removed, and new valve seats installed before one falls out. That should cure the problem from ever happening and will cost less than a new car, but it will be expensive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
he is right SPI's dont have a fuel pressure regulator (sorry), but in doing some reserch your injectors may be clogged causing the high pressure codes if you can get it started again try some good strong fuel injector cleaner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a similar problem, I have a 2001 SE with a SOHC. It stalled at an intersection while my daughter was driving. Wouldn't re-start. After sitting all week, it started and idled fine. She went to head home and it stalled with in a minute and hasn't started again. Getting a spark, fuel pump turns on, gas coming thru after filter conection and I replaced the FRP sensor. Only code that was showing was the P0193. Any ideas? Felling at a loss

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You will get better help if you'll start your own thread. On the first page of this forum, on the left above the list of threads is a yellow button that says "New Thread". Lots of our regulars won't even answer an old thread like this one.

If you have fuel and spark, then you might have compression problems if you're experiencing a crank but not start issue. That's not uncommon for SPIs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't the option for "New thread", just Post reply. How can I get the ability to post new? If it is a crank issue, where do I need to start?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Not this screen, the first page in Ford Focus Technical Chat. You're in a thread here, so there's no option to start another thread. See above on this page and you'll see a ladder: Focus Fanatics>Ford Focus Discussions>Ford Focus Technical Chat---> This thread title. Click on Ford Focus Technical Chat and you'll go to the first page of this forum.

Purchase a compression tester or rent a "leak down" test kit. The leak down kit contains a compression tester. CT's aren't expensive tools- $10 or so. My biggest problem with them is finding something to block off the hose so you don't get debris in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts