Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I've had a 2005 zxw ses for a few days now and I have a few questions about the feel of the ride...

Is the focus wagon a really stiff car in general?

If so, what can i do to give the ride a bit more "cush".....shocks? struts? mounting hardware? tires?

Is it possible to make the ride more comfy while still retaining the snappy handling?

Also, thanks to the forum I noticed the front swaybar links need changing. thanks! will this help with the stiff ride?

I appreciate any ideas/input.

p.s. Im not looking to buy cheap stuff, but Im also not looking to spend a bunch of cash on performance stuff.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The Focus in stock form aren't particularly stiff cars (aside from the SVT). They handle decently for your average econobox but I certainly wouldn't call it stiff at all.

Are you positive the suspension is stock on the wagon? Its certainly possible it has an upgraded suspension that makes it feel much stiffer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If anything, the swaybar links just tighten up steering response and will reduce side to side body roll when cornering.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The rear suspension is designed to handle a heavier load than any other model. You might consider it stiff with no load in the back. I upgraded the rear shocks and it feels a little better to me though it isn't really making it any less stiff. I notice big difference with rear passengers. To me the stock suspension is really good and I like slightly upgraded shocks like KYB GR-2 front and back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
hey all, I've had a 2005 zxw ses for a few days now and I have a few questions about the feel of the ride...

Is the focus wagon a really stiff car in general?

If so, what can i do to give the ride a bit more "cush".....shocks? struts? mounting hardware? tires?

Is it possible to make the ride more comfy while still retaining the snappy handling?

Also, thanks to the forum I noticed the front swaybar links need changing. thanks! will this help with the stiff ride?

I appreciate any ideas/input.

p.s. Im not looking to buy cheap stuff, but Im also not looking to spend a bunch of cash on performance stuff.
A tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ can greatly enhance the ride quality while maintaining a solid performance and feel. If that's out of the budget then check out the Pirelli PZero Nero AS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a bunch of great info.

I'm going to start with the kyb Rear shocks, two new tire's, the front swaybar links....

I'll recon the other stuff such as the lower control arms and such while im doing that.

just got my moog front links in the mail, wondering if i should replace the swaybar bushings to. what do ya think?

i looked for greasable bushings and it seems like no one has em'. any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts