Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive notice that my 02 wagons lift gate doesnt go up much more the 5 feet max i always have to be all bent over to get in and out of it .. i think maybe someone put the wrong shocks in it ? and there just to short or is that stock ? cus my dads HHR and my friends with a subaru there lift gate go up soo much highter that even my best friend whos 6 foot plus can stand under them ...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Do you help it up or just let the struts lift it?

Sometimes I have to help it up a little (struts will hold it there, just don't always get it up.....)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ive helped it up thats the highest it goes .. ive looked at the hinges to see if there a stopper doesn't seem like it.. im just guessing its a bad design or wrong shocks

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'm 5'7, my car is stock ride height, and I can stand up under my lift gate. If you don't see any more room for the hinges to move, then start looking for collision damage. The car might've been in an accident and that's why the lift gate doesn't raise up as far any more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see that's what I thought .. There's no damage just the shocks bottom out the don't have space to go any higher ... Gay someone must of put shorter shocks on it .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same problem when the parts guy gave me shocks for the two door lift gate. They are shorter than the wagon shocks. took them back and got the correct shocks. Worked great. Could possibly be your problem too?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I looked this up in my copy of the EPC for a 2002 Focus wagon

I THINK the part number is YS4Z-74406A10-AA
However there are three other closely [but not correct] part numbers
The only way of telling is to bring your VIN number with

It might be good to bring one of these units with and make sure what the parts guy gives you is longer

If you send me your VIN number on a PM then I will reply publicly what that part number is
Then ask the Ford parts guy what the part number is--if both match then that is good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts