Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the Ford Dealer and found NO recalls on my 2001 Focus Wagon - So I called the 1-800 number and was told that my FF Wagon rear latch / flip up rear door was REPAIRED during the recall in 2005 - I TRIED TO TELL FORD 1-800 - In fact I did tell the operator that my rear door on my Ford Focus STILL UNLOCKS / UNLATCHES and the instrument panel red light turns red - DOOR OPEN !

- WELL, FORD 1-800 SAID THEY ALREADY DID THE RECALL in 2005 AND THEY ONLY HAVE TO DO IT ONCE !

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION HOW TO FIX AN INTERMITTENT REAR WAGON DOOR THAT WILL NOT STAY LOCKED ???

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hatch/Wagon/Sedan umbilicals to lights/latches can have wiring troubles as they age, is this one opening electrically by chance? (my Sedan had that issue)

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
That's a problem, but it could simply be a grease problem. Have you put WD40 on it? If so, that's a problem. WD40 will thin existing grease. Use a Silicone or Lithium spray grease, and work the latch in the door by hand using the key. Spray it in both open and closed positions. Work it back and forth a few times, spray it in the closed position, and wait 5 mins for the grease to thicken. Unlatch the latch, and close the door. That should do it for a while- if the latch itself doesn't need replacement. It is possible that the latch itself is rust damaged. One broken spring could cause the latch not to work. If I lived in the N, I'd lube my latches yearly before winter. I usually do it every once in a while here. Not as much salt on the road.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Does it come unlatched once it's latched or just fail to latch?

(Parents 2002 sedan trunk doesn't always catch, you need to test it after closing)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Locked my wagon with the remote (FOB) the other day and later on opened only the hatch with a spare key. Closed the hatch and it would not latch. Spent 5 minutes freaking out, trying to get it working, thinking my latch just died.

Then it hit me. Opened and closed and opened all doors with the remote. Hatch returned from the dead. Funny lesson. Thought I would share.

My 2004 GEM has quite a sense of humor. Thanks Ford.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion - Around here - near Buffalo NY we've had snow everyday for about six weeks or more. I took my FF wagon over to a heated garage, thawed it out and sprayed the rear door mechanizm with some white lithium grease - I was thinking of wrapping the post that the rear door locks onto with some electrical tape - two or three turns to see if that will aid the latch mechanism - but it is a-way tooo cold outside to be tinkering with my door.

Is it possible to LOCK the back door with the key so it will not open unless I use the key? That would help until all this snow melts and I can check further.....

I broke the antenna off the roof about a month ago trying to brush off the snow - I drilled a 1/8 inch hole into the antenna insulator and forced a sheet metal screw into the hole - then drapped about three feet of hook up wire from the screw to the roof rack - so the radio is working OK -

This winter has been brutal - TNX for your help Q

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Other thoughts, I've used penetrating spray grease for my sedan latch to help it work - still isn't always perfect.

Found that opening it fully made a difference in it's latching when closing, on the sedans there is an emergency release that I now use to make sure it's fully opened before closing.

Key to open might do the same thing, as I don't think you have that same convenient handle on the Wagon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About two weeks ago we finally had a warm afternoon - around +45 F and I opened the rear door on my Focus Wagon. I removed all the white lithium grease with a paper towel and wrapped a few turns of black electrical tape around the gizzmo pin that sticks up - and holds the door closed. Well - since adding the electrical tape - my rear door has not spontaneously unlock when I slam the drivers side door - It has been about ten days so far and the rear door has NOT UNLOCKED ONCE!

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
You're not fully double latching, the door latch triggers one step then the post has to go in deeper to trigger the final true holding secure step. The tape built up the post pin OD but it will shred to be ineffective in short order. That post if referring to the rear tailgate pin sticking up gets a nylon insert to cover it and make the OD bigger. If the nylon is gone from wear the door will often not double latch fully. Misaligned tailgate or one with worn hinges to move sideways tear that post plastic up pretty quick. The post loosens, loosen it and then pull it out a bit more to have latch go further into it and retighten firmly, that can fix it too but be prepared to finagle with position a bit, sometimes it takes a few minutes of adjusting to get it just right.

If the latch itself is dry of grease inside it will not double latch reliably..............white grease on the post and around there literally a waste of time, you have to get it INSIDE the latch assembly and thoroughly. Mine did the same and fixed in ten minutes and years ago.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I haven't fully investigated the issue, but my 2006 ZXW wagon has this issue sometimes (and on a normal day I am popping the hatch 6-10 or more times a day). I find if it doesn't latch at all when I close the hatch if I hit the hatch release button and then close it it will latch most of the time. Other times it will only single latch pulling the hatch back out slightly (without using the release button to unlatch it) and pressing it in somewhat forcefully will cause it to double-latch properly.

Not a fix but it gets me by.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ That's similar to my sedan, where pulling the emergency release to open it fully helps make sure it latches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts