Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just trade-in his 2008 4.0L (manual) ranger for a used Ford Fiesta 2012 S (manual) base model.

Yesterday he was complaining about his 1.6L duratec engine fuel consumption compared to my focus 2012 2.0L manual hatchback.

In the winter, I'm around 8.9 L/100km 27 MPG (mostly city) and him with is 1.6L get around 11L/100km 21MPG (mostly city).

Also Fiesta is lighter,smaller than the focus.

How it can make sense ? [dunno]

Because the 2.0L duratec is GDI and other 1.6L engine using older tech?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the fiesta was quicker than the focus because of the size and weight.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Put two different people in the same car driving the same roads at the same time/traffic and one will get 35mpg while the other will get 25mpg. Add in other variable like: weather, traffic, elevation (air density), type of fuel, tires, etc. and it's possible to see a difference of more than two to one.

When people buy additives for fuel or oil or that magnet thing that goes around the fuel line, and then report a 50% improvement in gas mileage I have to laugh to stop from crying.

Brian

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem is that I drive my focus like I stole it hehe...

I don't speed but I do like my engine to have a near 100% load to hear it growl with my steeda CAI. [:)]

Still never had more than 9.5L/100km 24MPG whatever I do with my focus...

When people buy additives for fuel or oil or that magnet thing that goes around the fuel line, and then report a 50% improvement in gas mileage I have to laugh to stop from crying.

Brian

Placebo effect +1 !!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I thought the fiesta was quicker than the focus because of the size and weight.
No. My Fiesta did 0-60 mph around about 9.5 secs vs. my Focus in the high 7's. Shouldn't be getting less mpg in the Fiesta vs. the Focus. I got 3-4 mpg better mpg in my Fiesta. Highway I was getting like 37 mpg during my commutes to work. Highway such as road trips was 42 mpg. I had the DCT.

One time going to a Fiesta meet up in Syracuse I got this:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know when I am in the city and get stuck at a lot of lights my mpg will drop significantly, this could be the case. It also depends on how he drives, like i said lots of stop and go's with a heavy foot or long idling will kill the gas mileage. I know in the city I only average around 25mpg, but I also don't granny shift and like to get to speed. If I get caught by a lot of lights this can go below 20mpg.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know when I am in the city and get stuck at a lot of lights my mpg will drop significantly, this could be the case. It also depends on how he drives, like i said lots of stop and go's with a heavy foot or long idling will kill the gas mileage. I know in the city I only average around 25mpg, but I also don't granny shift and like to get to speed. If I get caught by a lot of lights this can go below 20mpg.
Tire pressure has a HUGE impact on MPG (or KPL). What a lot of people forget is that tire pressure should be set when cold. Merely driving the car a couple of miles to the nearest gas station air pump will throw the readings off by as much as 5 PSI !!!

Check your pressure before you leave your home and get an idea of how much you really need to add by the time you get to an air hose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts