Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Right as I was leaving work, I drove maybe 300 feet and my transmission all of a sudden dropped to neutral (automatic trans). The stick was properly in drive. So I pulled over, put into Park, back into Drive and still in neutral. So I then tried to restart the vehicle (push button) but it didn't restart and actually wouldn't even try to crank, like the computer locked it out. I was also getting a message on the screen, right when the transmission went into neutral: "Park Aid Malfunction - Service Required". Not sure what that meant, I don't have the rear parking aid, just a backup cam.

I got it towed to a Ford garage as I have no clue what the deal is. Has anyone seen this? I am most worried that it dropped into neutral while driving which to me is a HUGE safety issue (i.e. highway).

I have been having those classic Focus shuttering problems with the transmission too again, after I just got it "fixed" last year, not sure if it's related.

Thanks for any help guys!

Car: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium ~66,000 miles

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved this to the MkIII Problems section, there's actually a thread currently active again about the "parking aid malfunction" indication combined with shifting issues.

It also includes posts from folks who DO have the parking system, most is for your situation.

That's a fairly well known combination of symptoms for a TCM problem, even if a code doesn't show. That can happen if you didn't take it in for the 15B22 update that was offered.

Good thing is the warranty extension on the TCM, look up more about that in the 14M02 program thread. (10yr/150k warranty on that)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I heard back from Ford and it is the TCM that needs replaced and it is covered under the warranty. However, the part is on back order till at least the end of August. Also, I don't qualify for a free rental car either. The Ford rep is trying to get that overruled but I am not holding my breath. Pretty disappointed about that part.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Ouch

There's a one day automatic rental for the replacement time, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of help for backorder issues. Only automatic with extended warranty version that includes rental for all warranty repair time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have an extended warranty (totalcare) with my vehicle as well, is that what you mean? The extended warranty sounds like a better deal in my situation, assuming I would be allowed to use that instead (minus the $50 deductible).

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I was referring to the extended warranties offered by Ford, even those come in levels and there's no way to know anything about ALL the aftermarket types that are sold.

Offhand IDK what "totalcare" is for sure or who sold it. You'd need to read it and see what coverage can help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts