Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a ZX3 and recently (and randomly) my door light came on, although all are definetly closed without question. My hatch button doesnt open the hatch, and my power door locks wont lock the doors because my car thinks it's hatch is open.

I can open and close the hatch without issues with the key, but the light still stays on. I have no idea what to do? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Mine messed up when we had the storm about two weeks ago. My interior light and dash light would gone over every bump. Like I was opening a door. I took my drivers side button out and cleaned it. I know the hatch and door will give the same symptoms. When this happened there was a lot of freezing rain and snow. Mine was probably moisture freezing inside.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah same sort of thing, and I'm guessing it's just iced up or someting, I don't know what else it could be.

At first I thought I had popped a fuse, but then realized my doors wouldnt lock because the car thought the hatch was open, and that it was nothing electronically wrong.

I just don't know what to do, lol.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I tried opening and closing the drivers door while moving and it didn't matter. I also checked the hatch wiring (rubber boot). That seems to be the root of a lot of problems. Mine's been fine since then. So, it was the drivers door or hatch. When I opened the passenger door in motion no lights or chimes came on. I just fixed it by luck I guess.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any ideas guys? I have lubed the entire hatch latch assemby, checked fuses, switches, lights, everything.

The car thinks the hatch is open at all times, I don't understand it and am going nuts!!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Check to make sure the latch is operating correctly (not binding) and is not loose. It also may need to be readjusted.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how can I adjust it? it opens smooth as butter with my key, it just wont open when I press the hatch button on my dash. It doesn't click or anything, like if the hatch was actually open. Nobody seems to have any idea how to fix it, maybe the adjusting will help though??

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You also may need to make sure the switch is good and there are not any broken wires. I understand the hatches had a problem for shorting out wires in the hatch itself. The switch that controls the idiot light may be bad also.
The adjustments are made at the latch, loosen the bolts and move the latch, re tighten the bolts. I miss understood what you were saying in your earlier post. I would start with the switch, then the wires, the the button release.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
soooo more randomness today... the door adjar light turned off on my way back to school, but the hatch release button and door locks still dont work?? is my car just retarded??

if I bring it to a dealer to check out the wires/switches what will that cost me, as a estimate of course??

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Did you check the wiring from the body to the hatch for fraying yet ? Lift the rubber boot in the hatch to check.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to re-adjust my hatch in the trunk. I could probably use a new one, same thing happened to me. It was all out of whack. If the hatch isn't adjusted properly and the trunk isn't closed properly I get the door open light. I'm just too cheap to buy a new locking mechanism.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine opens fine with the key and closes effortlessly as well, it's just that the button doesn't open it and i'm assuming the doors won't lock because of something with the hatch. do you guys think it could STILL be the locking mechanism? I'm open to any suggestions, I'll just tell the dealer that i think it may be one of a few things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts