Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i think we have already had this one. something about if the cars are stock then the svt has it because of weight. but the honda engine reacts better to mods so if a civic had the same mods as me i would whoop me!

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
svtguy, I believe he is referring to the newest Civic Si. I would think he has you beat due to HP but not by much. At least the tests I've seen have it doing 60 in less than 7 and the 1/4 in low 15's prob a very very high 14.

·
Registered
591 Posts
the new si will probably beat a stock svt..and my friends just got one put intake header and exhaust...went 14.1 hes got timeslips to prove it!!

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
^^dayum.....that's kinda fast for a civic with just I/H/E mods...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
civic si focus svt
2800 lbs 2600 lbs
197 hp 170 hp
139 ft lbs 145 ft lbs
1/4 15.1 1/4 15.9(which has been said to more like low to mid 15's
something in the math doesn't make sense, right? torque is what gets you off the line and makes you pull. and if your buddy is got a whole second off his time i call bullshit. some people say the svt can run the 1/4 mile 14.8

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Civic Si has got it,,,,comes down to the driver,,,,

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
using the hp calculator on c-f-m web site. if he did the 1/4 mile in 98 mph that would give hime 226 hp. now lets give or take -5 for error and not all things considering. that thats 25 hp with 3 mods. i wish my car would have done that well with just a better breathing engine

·
Registered
209 Posts
I call it too, no 4 banger reacts to mod that well. The only mod that will get you any really pwr is FI. It may have us beat in pwr by a little but not in the handling. The pwr diff. is so small to me that I'm still not gonna get a civic. I'll use that difference in money to put more mods on my SVT. I look at it this way......the person with the deepest pockets will have the fastest car no matter what car it is!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
u guys can call bullshit all ya want...go race one and see what happens...ill try and get the slips for ya...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hmm..sorry to say but the new civic YES beats the tar outta the SVT....the new SI even beat out the new GTI not only on the drag strip but on the track as well....very sad day as i hate honda's, but i have to give this new one some respect...it moves and sounds awesome.

PS...it beat out the manual GTI....the smg tranny GTI is faster than both the manual GTI and SI.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^^ I wont go into politics, but his underlying point is a good one. Average drivers get a difference of around 0.8s in the 1/4 time between the cars, SI ahead. 8/10ths is pretty damn huge in the 1/4.

A very good driver will obviously extract better times from the SVT than a high 15. And, logically, the same cannot be true for the SI; being an import it is clearly inferior, right? Hopefully you can sense the sarcasm. Driver skill can't be considered in figuing which machine is faster.

The SI is a faster car for plenty of reasons. It does weigh more and the peak torque is lower, but 2 key things to remember; it is geared MUCH tighter, which will only help it until triple-digits. Also, talking about the lower torque has a dubious amount of value. Torque and HP are inseperable (as I recall, (HP = (torque*RPM)/5252) ) and HP is the net amount of work the engine is performing. Besides, yes we have low end torque, any dyno shows that, but the feel of the engine more closely matches the HP curve, steady linear building. I know my engine doesnt feel 80% as powerful at 2200rpm as it does around 7000.

[/end rant]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i thought that because of the weight things were even out, but the si is solid. hands down. but you have to admit 14.1 come on a bad driver in a srt-4 isn't even hitting that think about things that. and i don't hate hondas for anything, just expected more outta the svt you konw

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. If Ford had decided to use the MTX75 5 speed in our cars they'd be a few ticks faster just due to a much tighter 1st and 2nd gear. I console myself with knowing the strengths of the car don't lie in straight line speed, but in midrange flexibility and unreal handling.

Its just a small part of what keeps the car from being quite as good as I think it could be.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
ever been on a hair pin clover leaf doing 70mph, and the only thing let going was your ass for the seat. i don't think so, untill then i don't think WELL describes it ok!

·
Registered
133 Posts
si would school a svt...

autoweeks number: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060501/FREE/60419006&SearchID=73245363576202

0-60 mph: 6.53 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 6.89 sec
0-quarter-mile: 14.93 sec @ 95.7 mph

caranddriver's numbers: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10836/2006-honda-civic-si.html
0-60 6.7 sec
5-60 7.5 sec --> isn't that what a svt does stock 0-60...

Also, the DSG in the GTI is not faster than the normal stick at a drag strip because the U.S. DSG does not have launch control so it won't hold the revs up and dump the clutch...apparently the US GTI will get it next year...but the DSG does shift faster than any human can ever...

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.