Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the handling and overall performance of my '03 FSVT. I wonder at times
however how the car ever got into production!! Where was the quality control?!

I can't get over the widespread issues that many FSVT owners apparently have. I'm talking about the engine surging/ hesitation at 3000 RPM's. I'm talking about the high RPM cold engine starts. I'm talking about the engine bogging down during take offs...etc.

Having said that, I'm optimistic that many of these issues will be resolved with the recent Predator tune that is headed my way. I have to ask however, why we have to go to the aftermarket to resolve these issues....

Prior to this I've driven Japanese cars for many years and didn't have any of the quirky issues that many of us have with the FSVT.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging the car. So far it's been reliable and is a nice combination of performance and practicality. I bought it with 15k miles for a fraction of the cost of comparable new cars.

The daily drive issues however are frustrating and hard to understand. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The tune should clear up the problems. I don't know why it surges, but many have a feeling the high RPM cold start is to warm up the cat quicker.

I don't know about you, but Ford has better quality products than my past GM vehicles. My S-10 ZR2's ball joints went out with like 24k miles on it (I NEVER offroaded it, though it was made for offroading), something with the AIR pump, either the driver or passenger side front was 2 inches lower than the other side, the Dexcool coolant was showing signs of 'sludge' forming...

Enough with the bashing however. Everybody has their problems, however Ford has been decent to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I see these threads I'm not sure if I'm the only one who got a car with no problems or if the problems are a little blown out of proportion. Every car I've owned has had it's share of idiosyncrasies.
I'm not saying I didn't notice the bog but, even before I got my tune I overcame it by learning how to launch it with a higher rpm at take off. I think that most of these "problems" are very minor. I bought my SVTF with 10k miles and now have 42K and all of those are trouble free. I drive my car hard daily and I always look forward to getting in and driving it again. I chose my mods carefully and for optimum performance as a daily driver. I commute 80 miles a day, all of which are fun to drive...

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Yeah,if you launch pushing the fuel pedal harder there is no problem.

I would rather get a car like that than an importation with no look and probably no much power anyway.

·
Registered
351 Posts
maxdriver. . .
I agree with your post. I just recently bought an 03 SVT. I had been on this site for a little while before that, but never came across the "problems" threads. After buying the car, i DID however find these threads, and i have to admit i was nervous. I found that my car has the clutch rattle, even AFTER it had been "taken care of". The car goes in to the shop in two days.

I have been driving the car fairly lightly, afraid something is goingn to happen that I can't afford. I'll learn to trust it though. It appears most of the problems are 01-02's. I hope i got a reliable 03'. Time will tell.

Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the issue is really the sheer quality (from a driving perspective) of the car. This car is so damn good that relatively minor issues like the low-rpm surging jump at out and nag at you and keep you awake at night.

Here's my advice. Drive ANY OTHER CAR (within reason). Then drive the SVT. And then bitch at me about how Ford shoulda never let it outta the factory.

·
Registered
302 Posts
maxdriver,

I own a 2002 SVT. She's not perfect, she's frustrting at times, as you've documented. But, I've never owned a car that has made me 'smile' as much as this young lass!!

In standard form, the problems you complain about (even though you say you're no doggin the car?!), ar easily, and more importantly....reasonably inexpensively, remedied. I installed Tom's tune (he's got a sale price going right now), and have since given up meat, alcohol, and sex...it was that good......fixing the bogging. I installed copper plugs and Ford Racing 9mm wires....very minimal improvement...but for $35 total, a no brainer.

With this car, the 'pros' far outweigh the 'cons'.

Lastly, the possible problem to your need to complain, is that you've not driven your SVT in the manner that she wants and deserves.......a lengthy drive with the foot twitching between full throttle, swapped to heavy breaking, and back to the throttle again.....she'll die a sad and slow death otherwise! Please, please, please, buy back the Honda, if you're not going to drive your SVT properly.

Joking apart.....keep up with the forums here, and you'll quickly get infected...and love it!

Cheers Shane

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far, the only problems that we have had with our 04 (we bought new and now has almost 40k miles on it) is a fuel pump failure at 20k miles and the shifter cables messing up twice. I have a CEL on now for a rear 02 sensor. Just haven't had a chance to replace it yet.

Do have a question for those with a sunroof. Does your sunroof close from the flip up position with one flick of the switch when sitting at idle? Our roof will only close from the flip up position when going down the road when you use the automatic close feature of the roof. This does not apply to the "sliding in/out of the roof" feature. Only in "flip up" mode

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thank you all for your comments. I spend so much time in traffic at speeds of 30 - 40 mph and that is when the surging/hesitation issue presents itself on a regular basis. The Predator tune is on the way and I look forward to the expected improvement!

The car remains a blast to drive and is a nice combination of performance and practicality! Good luck to the others with similar concerns. I'll be reporting in on new tune![thumb]

·
Registered
744 Posts
Max, I hear you, I had A LOT more problems than just the surging, my car was so bad I took it to the shop ten time for warranty repairs with a total of 30 days out of service; this was all between 6000 and 9000 miles. I seriously thought about 'lemoning" it because it was SUCH a POS. After looking at New Mexico's lemon laws, I decided to ride it out.

And I'm glad I did, my little orange SVT is an absolute dream to drive. No problems, great performance and, with Wayne's tune, no surging or crappy running.

Yeah, ford's initial quality seems like junk BUT when you consider only 14,000 of our little cars were made, they're ALL kind of a "one-off" and are going to have more initial problems then your run of the mill Neon or Cavalier.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
They have their issues, but like most will say, if youre into driving and like a car that will perform when pushed, these are great. The reflash from Ford usually clears up the surging as should your tune. Dont know who you have that coming from, but if they know what theyre doing, it should be alot better.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Lets see since I have purchased my car 6 months ago with 48k miles Ive had, the slave cyclinder, clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, sub amp, cd disk changer, water pump, headlights, a/c and some other shit break on it. Thats doesnt resemble great quality but I still love it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've been lucky so far, with the exception of the clutch rattle, but I went into the car expecting a bad clutch. Even given that, I remain convinced I got the right car. To match the feeling and usability of the car, I have a short list of vehicles that might do as well or better. Late model WRX, but expensive to buy, insure and maintain, and numb subaru steering (unless thats better now). BMW 328/330, same deal only moreso. Evo, way out of my price range. Gen3 Miata, perhaps perfect, excepting that I sometimes may need to travel somewhere with more than 3 cubic feet of luggage [;)] In FWD, I've sometimes thought maybe a late model Integra GSR or a Prelude, but both are heavier.

Given the limited problems I've had so far, and the sheer amount of fun I still have every time I drive it, I dont see myself replacing the car anytime soon. I have to say though, if mine were a horror-story SVT like some have had, I have a slightly shorter list in my head of cars I'd get for under $10k as a stop gap, trading the Focus. Hasnt happened yet tho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
b16sir1991 said:
They have their issues, but like most will say, if youre into driving and like a car that will perform when pushed, these are great. The reflash from Ford usually clears up the surging as should your tune. Dont know who you have that coming from, but if they know what theyre doing, it should be alot better.

The tune is coming from Tom at Focus - Power...[8D]

·
Registered
19 Posts
check this out:I work in dealership,(HONDA dealership) I get to drive many diffrent cars,prelude,civics,s2000,tiburon,impreza sti,wich is pretty scary to drive,camaro ss vettes even zx3 and zts focuses,mustangs of any kind,and none of them have really convince me to trade my svtf, I had the chance to trade it for a 03 terminator,but I backed out on the deal.
Somthing to think about.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
29k beat her just a little and no issues, that i haven't caused. i have how ever heard that because of were the maf sensor is located that causes some of the bog issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I defenitely experience the bogging and cold start high rpms. I also had the clutch prematurely wear out on me and ford wouldnt cover it. Little did they know I have channel 2 news on my side now. I drive a 2002 svt silva

·
Registered
2 Posts
nickouellettesvt said:
Lets see since I have purchased my car 6 months ago with 48k miles Ive had, the slave cyclinder, clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, sub amp, cd disk changer, water pump, headlights, a/c and some other shit break on it. Thats doesnt resemble great quality but I still love it.
Well that will also fall back on ther previous owner

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My tune fixed most of the small problems with my SVT. And other than the problems fixed by the tune (high idle on cold start, surging, traction control button and bogging on take offs) I've never had a major problem. I now have 73,000 miles on my car and the only problems I've had were my front sway bar end links came loose and all the stupid heat shield rattles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts