Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?|][?|][?|]

My engine is throwing a P420 code (catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)) for over a month now. I got a brand new rear O2 sensor and drove 400 miles mixed highway and stop go with no light and no issues at all. After about a week the light popped back up and P420 showed up again. The engine runs smooth, idle is rock solid, has great power and doesnt give any signs of a bad cat (that i can tell). Any Ideas??

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Nothing sounds wrong, other than your PCM is telling you that your cat is inefficient. You can and should do some tests to confirm this. Monitor 02's with scan tool -and- check cat temps with IR Temp Gun. This video will show and explain the deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VZ5K8n5jj0

Confirming cat is bad is rather easy; finding out why it failed (outside of old age) can be harder/tricky to figure out.

As you likely know, once you have a P0420, your kinda screwed if in a State that require emissions testing.

Edit: A car can run perfect and still have a bad cat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My state does have emissions testing so thats going to suck in 7 months when Im due for inspection. Its strange though because when i reset the code I checked after all the driving that I got past the diagnostics with my scanner. Everything was OK and the "drive cycle" or whatever was complete and then a few days later the code came back. I can actually sneak by emissions if I can repeat this.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I can actually sneak by emissions if I can repeat this.
Yes, IF you can repeat that. As time goes by, that window may get smaller. Sounds like you know, but I will say it anyway, after a reset the PCM will hold on to the P1000 (emissions/monitors incomplete) for several days and during this, you will also be unable to pass emissions. Emissions here in AZ told me to take a hike and come back after my P1000 was gone. Dumb me, had car battery disconnected just days before.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Small chance in hell... but a new/different upstream O2 sensor could pacify it just enuf to prevent the P0420... might also make the P0420 come on quicker.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so a little more back story: I had a head gasket (I think) and thermostat housing blow on my 170K motor back in september and though the forums here i found a motor with a little less than 100k miles on it and swaped it in myself. Im thinking that the blown head gasket, all the coolant that got thrown into the cylinders/ oil ect. could have done some damage to my cat. I assume a lot of unburn fuel went into it. Since swapping the new motor in everything has been A OK except the P420 code.

Does this make sense? What are my options living in a state with emissions laws?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear O2 sensor got changed a few weeks ago =(

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The good news is it is NYS so all I need to do is pass the scanner test. So anyone know what some good aftermarket cats are?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts