1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
"If you can afford to have only one car, the 2014 Ford Focus ST might be the best you can buy".

The ST is the best car that money can buy? Are you joking?
Do you not realize that most people don't want any car with a manual transmission?

There are so many things wrong with this review, I wouldn't know where to begin.

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"If you can afford to have only one car, the 2014 Ford Focus ST might be the best you can buy".

Do you not realize that most people don't want any car with a manual transmission?

There are so many things wrong with this review, I wouldn't know where to begin.
Oh god, you're one of those people who take absolutely everything literally and can't read into context.

If you don't like manuals, you'd never look at this kind of car. But hot hatches are incredibly versatile. If you want something quick, fun, practical, and affordable...well, the choice is obvious. You're looking at a Focus ST/WRX/GTI, etc.

You bought a Titanium. You're not in the market for a hot hatch - you wanted something more luxurious and comfortable. Which is fine for you.

You didn't read past the tagline. [rolleyes]

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait...

It says "the best." I wrote "one of the best." Hooray for copy editors. I still stand by my ruling though - it's a fantastic all-around car.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fixed the title, you wanted "ST3" right?

Interesting to see a current viewpoint, the dash in particular was "new" when introduced & it's style became typical quickly. Designers worked on similar things at the same time, theme was "copied" so fast it had to be cross influenced before any came out.

I'd only pick a nit with the clutch description, "high" in my mind is far off the floor not near the firewall.

Good honest review IMHO, not a copy from anything preceding it. Good work, as many reviews take hints & info. from prev. published reviews.

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed the title, you wanted "ST3" right?

Interesting to see a current viewpoint, the dash in particular was "new" when introduced & it's style became typical quickly. Designers worked on similar things at the same time, theme was "copied" so fast it had to be cross influenced before any came out.

I'd only pick a nit with the clutch description, "high" in my mind is far off the floor not near the firewall.

Good honest review IMHO, not a copy from anything preceding it. Good work, as many reviews take hints & info. from prev. published reviews.
Thanks sailor, I did want ST3.

To me, all of the MK3s are just kind of...okay inside. As I wrote, they're not ugly and I can't say they're of poor quality. They just don't stand out IMO. And I can't remember if I kept it in the article (a lot got the axe) but the first thing I noticed about the MK1 was its funky interior. Everything else was so...square back then. I liked how different it was. For what it's worth, I liked the screen position...just not SYNC. SYNC is terrible. I didn't gripe on it too much, because I blasted it in the Fiesta ST review already.

The clutch description - I've heard that before. But I've heard the description go towards my way as well. More importantly, the other two pedals were just...weird.

When I review something, I try not to read other reviews first. That way, I can write around my impressions and experiences, rather than regurgitate whatever the Internet thinks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MkI's were unusual in having unique styling that was used throughout the car. Cougar used the same "design language", I never looked close at one to see if it was carried through as thoroughly.

Whether it grows on you or not (took a while for me) the longer you look at it the more you see how the theme was carried through the whole car with pieces flowing together nicely. Later versions didn't carry a theme throughout, and throwing squared off items into a rounded car didn't work visually at all IMHO.

The new cars don't have a single theme in the same manner, so I agree they're not comparable.

You described the pedal issues completely, just doesn't have a "Sports" setup for them.

I didn't really want to pick on the "high pedal" thing with the clutch, it's just been hard many times recently in tech sections to get definitions straight. High off the floor vs. low to the floor is the def. I'm used to, you described what you meant so it wasn't a problem to understand the article. We've had people talking about engaging the clutch by pushing the pedal down & vice versa, that gets a lot more confusing. Like "turning over" being used interchangeably for either cranking or running (cranking would be the classic understanding)

Got in a long discussion with a few involved on "Acorn Nuts" a while ago, turns out there's a new usage that developed over time regarding lug nuts so now that's a confusing subject as well.

Cheers

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The design language is what I love about the MK1s...and I think that's why I still get asked about my car today. People know it's not new, because it doesn't look wavy or angular like modern cars. Yet it doesn't look dated.

Then the 1.5 came along and...eeeeugh. No.

Of course, it remains to be seen, but I wonder how we'll look back on today's cars in ten years. It's not that easy to pick them all apart from the side profiles.

The pedals really concern me - if Ford's not setting their hot hatches up for heel-toe, then what about the Mustang? My plain old ZX3 has a great pedal setup, so I expected a brand new hot Focus would do the same. Any good performance car has a good pedal setup. Baffling. There was a 2 or 3 minute rant clip about that, but obviously we cut it...I may have questioned the sanity of Ford engineers.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Oh god, you're one of those people who take absolutely everything literally and can't read into context.

If you don't like manuals, you'd never look at this kind of car. But hot hatches are incredibly versatile. If you want something quick, fun, practical, and affordable...well, the choice is obvious. You're looking at a Focus ST/WRX/GTI, etc.

You bought a Titanium. You're not in the market for a hot hatch - you wanted something more luxurious and comfortable. Which is fine for you.

You didn't read past the tagline. [rolleyes]
My previous car was a hot hatch (turbo, 6 speed, etc.).
It was quick, the handling was great, but it was otherwise unenjoyable.

I do understand where you are coming from but I think the "regular" MK3 Focus is a better car for the average Joe that can afford just one car.

Regarding MyFord Touch, I can also understand how someone that doesn't live with it may not like it.
If I had the option of ordering it in my next car, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do so.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
So, some of you know what I do for a living. I get to review cars sometimes.

http://www.ibtimes.com/2014-ford-focus-st-review-americas-sweetheart-video-1687640

I got a week with an ST3. I did not want to like it. But I wound up being a big fan.

EDIT: Wrote ST2 in the title. Fml.

Fixed title

Your website is broken FYI.

-Videos should not auto-start, its a news site, not youtube.
-Your video is nowhere to be seen, and thus cannot be paused.

This is why Americans get a bad reputation. Stop being a troll. Either make constructive criticism with logical evidence, or get out of the thread.

1. Contrary to the American media's claims, there is still a heavy presence of manual vehicles on the road today (both in the US and world-wide).

2. Consider the readership of the article. Is your grandmother really that interested in a focus ST? Does she even know how to use the internet? Probably not. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the readers for this article are male, ages 18-30. For that readership, the Focus ST really is a contender.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Re the reviewers interior design comment. IMO the Focus interior follows the theme of the outside lines, which is is very unique these days.
The MK3 really hit the spot as far as bringing the exterior design language into the interior. It SYNC's up perfectly :)
To say it is unremarkable or does not stand out I find curious.
Now designs for example of what is found in the Golf, now that I can understand being an interior that does not stand out.

Was your complaint about SYNC or MyFord Touch?

Ditto on the reviewers site. the video once down buffering, quit half way through and reloaded the page.
Never was able to view the complete video.

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My previous car was a hot hatch (turbo, 6 speed, etc.).
It was quick, the handling was great, but it was otherwise unenjoyable.

I do understand where you are coming from but I think the "regular" MK3 Focus is a better car for the average Joe that can afford just one car.

Regarding MyFord Touch, I can also understand how someone that doesn't live with it may not like it.
If I had the option of ordering it in my next car, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do so.
If it was quick and handled great, why was it otherwise unenjoyable? Harsh suspension? Crappy stereo?

Your website is broken FYI.

-Videos should not auto-start, its a news site, not youtube.
-Your video is nowhere to be seen, and thus cannot be paused.
We've had the site go down a few times lately, so sometimes the video legitimately doesn't work. The powers that be are aware of this, and I can't do anything about it.

The autoplay sucks too. No control there, either - and trust me when I say I've tried to get a new video player on the site. But the ads autoplay, and more ads = more $$$.

When the player does work, you CAN pause the video. But after a few minutes, the whole page autorefreshes anyway. Again, problem they're aware of.

Re the reviewers interior design comment. IMO the Focus interior follows the theme of the outside lines, which is is very unique these days.
The MK3 really hit the spot as far as bringing the exterior design language into the interior. It SYNC's up perfectly :)
To say it is unremarkable or does not stand out I find curious.
Now designs for example of what is found in the Golf, now that I can understand being an interior that does not stand out.

Was your complaint about SYNC or MyFord Touch?

Ditto on the reviewers site. the video once down buffering, quit half way through and reloaded the page.
Never was able to view the complete video.
I don't like having touch systems in the first place (I admitted this in my original copy, but it was edited out), but I can live with it. The overarching problem was the SYNC programming - unbearably slow and inaccurate. It took 3 minutes to enter an address for navigation with voice commands. I could have stop on the side of the road and pulled up directions on a $150 Garmin in half the time.

Interiors are always especially subjective, but to give you and idea of a company I like these days, it's Volvo. I haven't been in a MKVII GTI yet, so I'll have to reserve judgment. The last VW I drove was a MKIV, which...ew.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
1. Contrary to the American media's claims, there is still a heavy presence of manual vehicles on the road today (both in the US and world-wide).
Domestic cars have a manual transmission take rate of 6~7%.

What was your point?

2. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the readers for this article are male, ages 18-30.
Is the average reader of International Business Times an 18~30 year old male or is it just the readers of that article?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If it was quick and handled great, why was it otherwise unenjoyable? Harsh suspension? Crappy stereo?
A crude and unrefined feeling, road/tire noise, and a crappy stereo.
With your foot to the floor or during hard cornering it was great.
The reality was that I really didn't enjoy the car 99% of the time.

I don't like having touch systems in the first place (I admitted this in my original copy, but it was edited out), but I can live with it. The overarching problem was the SYNC programming - unbearably slow and inaccurate. It took 3 minutes to enter an address for navigation with voice commands. I could have stop on the side of the road and pulled up directions on a $150 Garmin in half the time.
I think you have to live with it on a daily basis.

In my experience, the voice recognition accuracy is excellent.
The last few times that I use the navigation (with a complete street address), it nailed it the first time.

Yes, it is a bit slow but for me it's a non-issue because I'm not issuing commands one after the other.

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A crude and unrefined feeling, road/tire noise, and a crappy stereo.
With your foot to the floor or during hard cornering it was great.
The reality was that I really didn't enjoy the car 99% of the time.

--------------------

I think you have to live with it on a daily basis.

In my experience, the voice recognition accuracy is excellent.
The last few times that I use the navigation (with a complete street address), it nailed it the first time.

Yes, it is a bit slow but for me it's a non-issue because I'm not issuing commands one after the other.
So...what was it? STi? The ST was bangin' when I drove it like Chris Harris, yet quiet and comfortable (with a nice stereo) when I was around civilization.

-----------

I spend a lot of time with new tech (phones, tablets, etc.). Because of that, I have a very low tolerance for slow technology. SYNC's voice commands are slow, but the system isn't alone. Voice commands are crap in most cars.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Nicely written review. [like] I like the overall look of the new MK3 ST but there are 2 things that I just can't get past. The biggest is the fact that it isn't available in a 2 door like my SVT. I have no use for 4 doors! Second is that center stack. I find it way to busy and I don't want an iPad Mini in my dash. If I need a GPS I'll stick my Garmin on the windshield. Actually this applies to a lot of interior designs these days. I long for the days of checking off the radio delete box. Ford can keep it's Microsoft powered stereo. Just leave me a blank spot to plug in my Alpine head unit and I'll be much happier. I guess Ford isn't aiming this at my demographic. I'm holding out for the RS and hoping it does better. If not I guess my 03 SVT will be on the road a few more years. By the way I'm 62. [cool] Oh, I wouldn't own a car with an automatic trans or flappy paddles! [thumbd]

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nicely written review. [like] I like the overall look of the new MK3 ST but there are 2 things that I just can't get past. The biggest is the fact that it isn't available in a 2 door like my SVT. I have no use for 4 doors! Second is that center stack. I find it way to busy and I don't want an iPad Mini in my dash. If I need a GPS I'll stick my Garmin on the windshield. Actually this applies to a lot of interior designs these days. I long for the days of checking off the radio delete box. Ford can keep it's Microsoft powered stereo. Just leave me a blank spot to plug in my Alpine head unit and I'll be much happier. I guess Ford isn't aiming this at my demographic. I'm holding out for the RS and hoping it does better. If not I guess my 03 SVT will be on the road a few more years. By the way I'm 62. [cool] Oh, I wouldn't own a car with an automatic trans or flappy paddles! [thumbd]
I'm a huge advocate for 3 door hatches...but I gotta say I'm totally okay with the FoST staying 5 door only.

Now the FiST...that needs to be three doors. The car has no damn room for the driver.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Domestic cars have a manual transmission take rate of 6~7%.

What was your point?

Don't confuse the amount of cars being sold with the amount of cars on the road. Get outside of suburbia california, and you will find that manual vehicles are more prevalent than you think.

Is the average reader of International Business Times an 18~30 year old male or is it just the readers of that article?
The general demographic of a website does not dictate the demographic of a particular article/blog.

Considering the content and key-words, it's very easy to identify the target demographic.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Everything I've read about the Focus and fiesta ST. The seats and suspension are too aggressive for daily driving, but are excellent if you see lots of track time. Is this true?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Everything I've read about the Focus and fiesta ST. The seats and suspension are too aggressive for daily driving, but are excellent if you see lots of track time. Is this true?
No worse than an aftermarket suspension setup. Yes they are stiff, but not coilover stiff.

In my exp, both were comfortable enough to daily unless you are the type to insist on silk bed-sheets and gluten-free wheat bread.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts