Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I want to bring this topic up for discussion because this mod is relatively cheap, easy, and worth it for the extra output.

For those of you who have an ST3 or another focus with ST3 HID projector headlights are likely aware that Ford uses a 25w HID system. Meaning it has a 25w ballast, and 25w D8S bulbs which are very uncommon as only a few other cars share this HID system. A 35 watt HID upgrade is something that is worth looking into.

I have ST3 headlights on my 2012 Focus SEL Sedan and have completed this upgrade and simply want to let you all know that this is easily possible to do. It increases lumens from about 2000 to 3200 (from info I have read) And you will be able to see the road even better. You will be able to use 3DS bulbs which will give you a bigger variety of bulbs to choose from if you want higher temp bulbs. You can get Osram HBI, Osram CBI, Osram CBH, Phillips, Morimoto, Harison Japan bulbs and more. Where the D8S bulbs really dont have other options besides cheap chinese knock offs.

The cost of this upgrade will be around $100-175 if you get the parts on ebay. My upgrade cost me $120, and I also sold my 25 watt system on ebay for $100, so essentially bringing my upgrade down to $20.

You will need 3 parts for this upgrade and 2 of each part.
- 2x Osram 3DS 35w ballasts
- 2x 3DS Ballast to Bulb Cable
- 2x 3DS Bulbs (Most OEM cars use Osram HBI)

For those interested in this upgrade, I will be happy to elaborate further in the details if you want. This post is to see if anyone is interested or if a few of you have already done this upgrade yourselves and your thoughts?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't see a point. Are they actually brighter? As in useful brightness (not in raw lumens), if the brightness is not helping me see better it's pointless. Also by changing the color temp you probably are going to give up most of the brightness, as most non-white colors aren't as good at providing vision (yellow being the exception in fog like conditions).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, going from 25w to 35w is exceptionally brighter. Also, using Osram HBI bulbs which are 4300k will give you the brightest output. I know going with higher temp bulbs, the brightness can be affected unless you go with Osram CBI or similar.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would guess with 25w ballast and changing bulbs to 35w. Bulbs will burn out quicker.
Not the case here. from what I have gathered you cannot use a 35w bulb with the 25w ballast. The plugs from ballast to bulb are different. This upgrade requires a 35w ballast which are readily available and a direct fit in place of the 25w ballast

·
So mote be it
8,908 Posts
Would guess with 25w ballast and changing bulbs to 35w. Bulbs will burn out quicker.
Not the case here. from what I have gathered you cannot use a 35w bulb with the 25w ballast. The plugs from ballast to bulb are different. This upgrade requires a 35w ballast which are readily available and a direct fit in place of the 25w ballast
Getting shorter bulb life would apply to 35w bulbs running a 55w ballast (no bulbs are designed for 55w specifically) but in this instances, running a 35w bulb designed for a 35w ballast shouldnt really effect the life of the bulb. Most oem's use 35w all around, so using quality components will keep you in good bulb life.

guy, did you by chance do a 25w vs 35w comparison during the install? I bet there would be a decent performance bump if you did picture/video at all during the install. I'd be interested in what was needed for the install. lol go find an ST with oem hid's and do a side by side [;)]

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rambleon84: I didnt actually do a side by side comparison since I did the upgrade during the day. But I will say that there is a significant enough increase in light output to make this upgrade pretty much a necessity in my opinion. Especially for the price which is not much at all. Also, what makes this upgrade so good is that you can change bulbs to any you want really

Parts needed for the install are pretty simple and straightforward. You need:

x2 D3S HID Bulbs 35w
x2 Osram 35w Ballasts (Part Number: 35XT6-S-D3)
- This specific ballast is direct plug and play. Avoid other ballasts that have the same shape but different part number, you want this part number)
x2 D3S ballast to bulb cable

Like my first post, parts will run you anywhere from $100-160 or so if you take a few minutes browsing ebay.

This thread on Focus ST Forums is specific to this mod and will have lots more information and pictures, this thread is what helped me achieve this upgrade
DIY / How-to – ST3 HID Bulb Swap: D8S -->D3S

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently completed this mod and used Osram 35 watt ballasts with Phillips X-treme vision gen 2 D3S bulbs. Didn’t seem to do much. My question is: are the 35 watt ballasts actually pulling 35 Watts thrthe system or does the car keep pushing 25 watts of power to a 35 watt ballast? I guess what I’m saying is how with the car no the difference and regulate The power consumption of the ballast?

I didn’t hear anywhere in the forum that a fuse change was needed for headlights. But it seems to me if you’re pushing more power perhaps the headlight fuse should also be upgraded?

What are y’all think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts