Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a focus ST170 2005, 20K miles, before the over rev the engine was in mint condition - as new. I forgot to change from 3rd to 4th and over rev'd the engine, rev needle was bouncing at 70000 rpm for about 3-5 secs. no noise at that time changed gear and reached my destination 5 mins later. on the return journey 10 mins later, car would not accellerate v well, lost power and even with full gas and in 2nd or 3rd car would not accellerate hardly at all. the next day when i started from cold, engine sounded older like a grumbly old micra. tapping each time its firing and when driving does now accellerate but seems a little less powerful than before. seems like the revs go up the same but it it slower to gain speed. when idling the grumbling "older engine" sound is clearer and so is the tapping sound. What have I done? rang a garage and they said something about possible hitting a valve out or blowing a seal??? gonna cost me £45 for a diagnostic alone, can anyone help save me some money without the obvoius ""drive sensibly then" comments lol...

regards,
Max

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Assuming the UK gets the same mechanical valvetrain we do in the states, might just need a valve adjustment. Kinda of a pain to do but sounds like it may help you.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Unless the car was over-running the engine (as in going downhill) I think the rev limiter would cut it off before any damage was done.

I'd start with a compression check. Then, it's easy enough to pop the valve cover off and have a looksee- maybe a broken valve spring or something minor like that. And while you're in there, check the valve clearances like iminhell suggests. If you bent one, it'll show bigger clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope it is just something minor, was accellerating on flat road so not over-running engine. Thanks for your advice blurvfocus and iminhell!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

I eventually ( when I could afford it ) took my focus to the Ford Dealership for Diagnosis and they found that the ECU needed a later calibration as the settings were " all wrong ". When asked they said this is not uncommon and they have had various models of Ford cars been brought in with the same fault!!! Car Still sounds like it is tapping a little, so a oil check and service wilol probably sort that out; but luckily the ""later calibration"" of the ECU has solved the lack of power and accelleration, and rough running problems I was having. Cheers guys, appreciate your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts