Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I prefer the wagon, but would get the hatch

Votes: 21 33.9%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Ford revealed the production model for the Focus ST, many people were excited. Many were also disappointed. Ford will be releasing a hatchback ST in the US, but in Europe, they'll also be offering a wagon.

Now, there's a poll on FJ, but for those of us who prefer FF, I thought I'd make one here.

In your honest opinion, would you prefer a wagon to a hatch? If only one was offered, which would you want?

Obviously, we'd like both to be offered. I sympathize with those who can't get the wagon variant, and would really like one. So, while I personally prefer the hatch, I really wish Ford would release both in the US.

But enough about what I think. What are your thoughts on the matter? Voice (and vote) your opinion here.

For reference, here are some photos:
The 2012 Focus ST hatchback:

And, the 2012 Focus ST Wagon:

Now, I'm sure most of us can agree, these are some fantastic looking cars. But, did Ford make the right choice by not bringing the wagon here, or have they lost a few sales?

What would you rather, the Focus ST wagon, or the hatch? And, if only the hatch is offered, would you still get it if you wanted a wagon? If only the wagon was offered, would you still get it if you wanted the hatch?

Hopefully we can tell Ford that enthusiasts want options, and that the US wants both the hatch and the wagon.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
I would still get the hatch.

But that wagon is SEXY!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll admit, it's probably the best looking wagon I've seen. But I'd never consider a wagon. It's not that I don't think wagons are useful, I think they're a far better option than an SUV or CUV. It's just that I don't like the look, or the idea of extra weight. If Ford was to only offer one, I'm glad they chose the hatch, but I really wish Ford had offered the option for my fellow fanatics.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ST wagon is only 53lbs heavier then the ST hatch.[driving]
Yeah, but it's also longer, and has more of that weight put in the back.
Besides, when cutting weight, 50lbs is significant. The hatch will be faster, and will handle better, if only by a little bit.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
I would drive a 3 door hatch... or that wagon. 5 door hatch does not look as good as the wagon. now, which way to vote on the poll?

·
Registered
306 Posts
The hatch already has too many doors, might as well go full tilt and grab the wagon.

Plus... we all know wagons get you more tail [thumb]

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
having small kids.. the wagon would be great hauling all their crap around..

plus you could sleep in the wagon

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I would drive a 3 door hatch... or that wagon. 5 door hatch does not look as good as the wagon. now, which way to vote on the poll?
This. I think the new Focus is too big anyway, so might as well grab it in the wagon.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yeah, but it's also longer, and has more of that weight put in the back.
Besides, when cutting weight, 50lbs is significant. The hatch will be faster, and will handle better, if only by a little bit.
i think wagon has tweaked rear suspension for luggage = more weight.

hatch will be better for handling and everything but WAGON LOOKS SICK!!!!!!![headbang]

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Also, the wagon appears to be higher than the hatchback in those pictures. Here's a lowered wagon. [;)]

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
That lowered wagon is straight sex. And exactly why I want it. Just love the lines.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
yeah, the more i look at it, the wagon is just so much better then the 5 door. they fixed the whole rear end shape of the car. They should take that hatch and "bolt" it on to a 3 door. the angle is better, the tails are better, the windows look better. Its just better looking IMO. When i see a 2012 coming down the street the front end is alright(grills a little large, IMO), then when i see the rear, its just not right at all. Just my opinion on the matter.

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
Everything about the wagon seems to look better. I love the way it looks and would buy one in a second if I was going to buy a brand new car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm all over that wagon. Fits my need for space for the family and scratches my itch for performance. Plus it's damn sexy for a wagon.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That wagon looks beast but I'm a sucker for hatchbacks so I'd take the 5door hatch. Downright sexy ass.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Unless none of them are posting here on this thread and voting, it's strange that so many like the wagon but not a 4/5 door hatch of the exact same car...?

(referring to all the complaints of the ST being a 4/5 door hatch instead of a 3 door)

As far as my opinion on the wagon, it looks good for a wagon, but it's still a wagon. I wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unless none of them are posting here on this thread and voting, it's strange that so many like the wagon but not a 4/5 door hatch of the exact same car...?

(referring to all the complaints of the ST being a 4/5 door hatch instead of a 3 door)

As far as my opinion on the wagon, it looks good for a wagon, but it's still a wagon. I wouldn't buy one.
Agreed. And from the look of the poll, more potential wagon owners would get the hatch than potential hatch owners who would take a wagon. It seems if Ford had to choose just one to bring to the US, they chose the right one. It's a shame they had to choose one though.

And yes, I do find if funny that so many people complained about the hatch having 5 doors, but at the same time, so many people like the wagon. Quite contradictory.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts