Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere the Focus ST will be about 27k. The Mustang V6 starts at 22.5k. Are you seeing where I am going with this?

Isn't the Mustang a clearly superior car and value?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to keep fixing and driving our Focus. It has 108k miles, and it hasn't failed us yet. Part of me wants to just see how far it will go, because even after 10 years, it still *looks* pretty new.

It's been getting time to think about a replacement, and my wife would be more than happy with the 2012 Focus. She loves the looks of them. But when I look at the V6 Mustang....I gotta say, on paper that's one of the best new car values I've ever seen. I haven't driven one yet, but all the reviewers seem to like the way they road test (not that the new Focus isn't getting great reviews too!).

I can see how you might want the extra seating, or need to save on gas, but all in all I think the Mustang is the better value.

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
Whichever puts the bigger grin on your face day after day. [driving] [burnout] [:D]

·
Registered
542 Posts
It depends, plus we don't really know the final price of the ST. I think if Ford wants to compete with other hot hatches the price will be around $23-$25k.

Then there are other differences, two doors, 4 passengers vs. five doors, 5 passengers, better fuel economy, better handling, etc, etc. They're two different kinds of cars and they drive different, people will choose whichever fits their needs and preferences better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Mustang V6 starting price is for a stripper car. If you loaded it up to equal the equipment of an ST, you'd be looking at a much closer price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Price up a V6 Mustang with options and see what it really costs. I don't think many would want a bare bones Mustang V6. Two way different cars. Plus a Mustang is not a 4 passanger car. It's good for 2 adults and two children. We just traded in our 2010 Mustang GT Premium for a 12 Focus Hatch.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The ST will have more space, for one. Probably better gas milage as well.
And there's the question as to whether or not it will handle better.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
The Mustang V6 is an awsome performer. Best bang for the buck for sure. But it is no fun in the snow, I have had 4 Mustangs and have done plenty of snow driving. If you want a fun weekend car or summer car then Mustang all the way. But if you are driving it year round then go with the ST. My Focus is my daily driver and it is an awsome fun to drive car. But my 2012 V6 Stang runs like a scalded dog and gets great gas milage and puts a big ol smile on my face. So if I had to choose between the ST or the Stang....... I would go with the Mustang.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Mustang V6 starting price is for a stripper car. If you loaded it up to equal the equipment of an ST, you'd be looking at a much closer price.
Ya, I guess I am old school. Give me good cloth seats, a good steering wheel, dark interior, a/c, pwr windows, pwr locks and cruise control, and I'm happy. I'll worry about the sound system myself. I think the base Mustang has most of that. You may not get all the bells and whistles, but you do get almost twice the horsepower and the quickest 0-60 you could ever hope for for that kind of money.

I actually like the idea of sticking it to the car companies by buying a nice base model. I could really enjoy a base Mustang V6. It would be a blank canvas. But a base Focus? Probably not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But it is no fun in the snow, I have had 4 Mustangs and have done plenty of snow driving. If you want a fun weekend car or summer car then Mustang all the way. But if you are driving it year round then go with the ST.

That's a great point. I have been on the west coast so long, I forgot about snow. I really appreciate the feel of a front drive vehicle with good winter tires under scary driving conditions.

I grew up in the East and spent my winters fishtailing V8 rear-drive land yachts up and down snowy streets -- and sometimes onto people's front yards. It was fun, but hopefully I am more mature than that now!

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
I read somewhere the Focus ST will be about 27k. The Mustang V6 starts at 22.5k. Are you seeing where I am going with this?

Isn't the Mustang a clearly superior car and value?

Posted via FF Mobile Yea, I see us beating up more dead horses.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i would be more interested in the st if they would post some numbers... i mostly only care about horsepower and mpg.

if it gets 30mpg, 4 doors, and roughly the same1/8 times my car gets now ill trade it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ya, I guess I am old school. Give me good cloth seats, a good steering wheel, dark interior, a/c, pwr windows, pwr locks and cruise control, and I'm happy. I'll worry about the sound system myself. I think the base Mustang has most of that. You may not get all the bells and whistles, but you do get almost twice the horsepower and the quickest 0-60 you could ever hope for for that kind of money.

I actually like the idea of sticking it to the car companies by buying a nice base model. I could really enjoy a base Mustang V6. It would be a blank canvas. But a base Focus? Probably not.
It's just a different demographic in my opinion. You likely wouldn't have someone shopping for an Focus OR V6 Mustang. People that buy a Mustang might shop V6 Camaro or Challenger. But people shopping a Focus ST would likely be comparing the Honda Civic Si, Golf GTI, Subi WRX, etc...

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I vote for a 2012 focus 5 door with a mustang V6, 6 speed and rear drive!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

Maybe but what looks better, and what is viewed as a "girls" car?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts