Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all set to pull the trigger on a base ST until I saw the car with the full leather Racaros. I drove the car with the Racaros but thought they were a little on the tight side for a daily commuter. Are the ST2 and ST3 seat basically the same (beside the partial/full leather) or are the ST2 seats softer because of the cloth. Finally do the side bolsters loosen up over time with the Racaro seats?

Thanks for your time.

Chris

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have 825 miles on my ST3 in three weeks..
The seats are tight. It all depends if you can grow to enjoy them, or hate them.

Others say the seats 'break in'.. Well like riding on a new bicycle seat, the seat breaks in but so does your behind.
So I would chalk it up to a combination of the seats break in, and so does your rear end.

The thing which suprised me the most was the stiff ride. Way more like driving on lowering springs than I remember from the test drive.
If I am engaged in driving fast, then i do not notice it as much. But when on some already really bumpy streeet and all I am doing is the speed limit the choppy ride is pretty annoying. (to where I would avoid those streets in the future)
Also it is Winter, so the cold makes the ride harsher a bit..

The seats soak up a lot of the poor ride when that is going on.

The big thing is folks have cut out the Recaro seat bottom wings pretty easily. The Recaro seat comes out of the car easy, the bottom comes apart and you can either cut off the bottom hard wings inside the seat cusion, or remove the wing thing altogether.
Several posts with pics and discriptions.
Those posts helped me to jump for the Recaros, as i figure if I do not acclimate to them, I can take out the bottom side hard winglets too.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I was all set to pull the trigger on a base ST until I saw the car with the full leather Racaros. I drove the car with the Racaros but thought they were a little on the tight side for a daily commuter. Are the ST2 and ST3 seat basically the same (beside the partial/full leather) or are the ST2 seats softer because of the cloth. Finally do the side bolsters loosen up over time with the Racaro seats?

Chris
Some people like them and others (including many magazine reviews) don't like them at all.

Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I bought a used st3. Seats hug but aren't the brick torture racks I sat in when the ST first came out. They break in. They feel down right comfortable with the heat on. Had a few passengers comment on how nice the seats felt too. Not one has complained of them being hard.

·
Registered
822 Posts
You don't get heated seats in the ST unless you get the Recaro's, correct? The cloth seats don't have heat?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
You don't get heated seats in the ST unless you get the Recaro's, correct? The cloth seats don't have heat?
You have to get the ST3 package with the full leather Recaro seats to get the seat heaters, the ST2 with the partial leather Recaro seats do not have them as an option.

·
Registered
822 Posts
That's just plain stupid. My 2012 has the Sport option so I have the 2 tone cloth seats which are the same ones in the ST1 and mine have heat. So let me get this straight. You have to get the 402A option which is a $4995 option to get heated seats, but you can get a base SE sedan or hatchback and add the winter package for $645 and get heated seats.

...And doing a configure on the RS, a $36k+ car it looks like you have to get the RS2 package for an additional $2785 to get heated seat on that. That's idiotic.

Was thinking of maybe trading in my SE for an ST in the very near future, but don't want the Recaro's and I want heat. So I scratch the ST off my list when I go car shopping for my next car. Way to go Ford.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts