Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The new Ford Focus ST is getting a diesel engine option… In Europe.

The American automaker has brought the 2015 Focus ST to the 2014 Paris Motor Show for its auto show debut after being unveiled at this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed. This also marks the first time the Focus ST will be offered with a diesel engine, which the company is calling “the most fuel-efficient and lowest CO2 Ford performance car ever.” The 2.0-liter TDCi has 182 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, making it capable of hitting 62 mph from a standstill in 8.1 seconds while returning 67.3 mpg on the generous European cycle.

2014 Paris Motor Show Coverage

Previously announced was the Focus ST’s gasoline engine which is a 2.0-liter EcoBoost powerplant with 252 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque. Both motors will be available with auto start-stop that improves the EcoBoost version’s fuel economy by six percent, helping make it the most fuel efficient Focus ST ever. A six-speed manual transmission is mated to both engines and the 2015 Focus ST will start arriving European dealerships in early 2015.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...us-st-diesel-makes-auto-show-debut-paris.html

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Wagon ST rear valance is quite different to the hatch

If the pictures were correct then the wagon is unchanged in the rear at least as far as the valence is concerned vs the current estate.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm still unclear on why this needed to be an ST.

"... capable of hitting 62 mph from a standstill in 8.1 seconds..."

That's not exactly going to wow anyone who has performance expectations of a car with an 'ST' designation on the hatch. So what do we have here, a great-handling slow-poke that gets good mileage?

Drop that engine in a Titanium with the handling package. This is one of the more rediculous things I've seen lately.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts

That's not exactly going to wow anyone who has performance expectations of a car with an 'ST' designation on the hatch. So what do we have here, a great-handling slow-poke that gets good mileage?

Drop that engine in a Titanium with the handling package. This is one of the more rediculous things I've seen lately.
And your attitude is exactly WHY Ford is never going to bring the ST diesel here. Same thing for the wagon..
American performance cars are ruled (in the car world at least) by stoplight racing.
All other considerations for performance take a distant back seat.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

A couple of thoughts:

1) The diesel actually produces more torque (which is what sets you back in your seat).

2) The 'ST' designation means different things to different people and often seems to be confused with the 'RS' designation (which is supposed to be the "hot" one).
If Ford intended the ST to be a kickass high performance car, why is it slower than a Mustang V6?

The ST is supposed to be about balanced performance and handling and not killer straight line performance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd buy a diesel ST. Acceleration might be down from the gas ST but it will probably handle just as well and get 67mpg.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I'd buy a diesel ST. Acceleration might be down from the gas ST but it will probably handle just as well and get 67mpg.
Except that 67 MPG UK=~53.6 MPG us on the overly optimistic ECE mileage testing which judging from the V.W. Jetta/Golf TDI it would likely be rated around 42 mpg us

·
Registered
158 Posts
Even at 42mpg that's double what my current ST gets lol.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If the pictures were correct then the wagon is unchanged in the rear at least as far as the valence is concerned vs the current estate.
(are you insinuating something?)"if the pictures were correct" then yes the ST wagon's rear is unchanged

I was just showing the difference between the 2 variants. If you would prefer I refrain from such postings please let me know and I will keep these tid bits to myself.[poke]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
LOVE your pictures, info..

Auto show version def. matches the street one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1) The diesel actually produces more torque (which is what sets you back in your seat).
And yet this car supposedly would only be as quick to 60mph as the US-spec 2.0L GDI Focus running with half that amount of engine torque.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Negativity towards wagons gives you more cross-over-grocery-getters.

For those of us whom actually have hobbies, we tend to require a car that meets the needs of those hobbies. I for one am an avid biker (mountain, not the weak roadies) and am also going to start kayaking. Having a car that can carry all my gear while still providing me performance and great gas mileage, who would pass on that?

I would jump at the chance of a Focus wagon, but alas the hatch will have to do.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
... I for one am an avid biker (mountain, not the weak roadies) ...
Heh, heh. Have you never seen the Tour de France?

... alas the hatch will have to do.
Wouldnt an Estate do better, having even more space? Extra ground clearance could be useful for getting to remote bike trails or kayaking spots. (Not sure how much of a selling point the foot-activated lift gate would be.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's exactly my point: If we had the wagon here in the states, I would have it without hesitation. The best I can do is the hatch.

As for the Tour de Frank, HA! Mountain biking is simply harder. PERIOD.

Just because road biking is bigger, doesn't mean it's better. Another example would be GM. GM is huge but it is definitely NOT the best.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
If Ford doesn't wind up calling this thing the Focus ST-D I will be greatly disappointed.
Ford will not touch that moniker with a ten foot pole. [screwy]

Historically an ST diesel would be known as either just an ST, or an ST TDCi. [race]

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1) The diesel actually produces more torque (which is what sets you back in your seat). ...
Isn't accelleration "what sets you back in your seat"?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts