Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do coilovers for less than $1000. The question is, which kit is the better off the two.

BC Racing or the bilsten B14.

Its a daily. Occasional track use (auto-x. Drag strip too. But more auto-x)

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Just installed my Fortune auto coilovers. I love them. I have to wait a month or so for auto x to truly test them

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a set of those on order: http://www.redstartracing.com/ford/isc-suspension-n1-coilovers-race-track-for-focus-st.html

Less than $1000, 2 way adjustments (kind of since compression and rebound are adjusted as a set). The top of the dampers allow for easy camber setting as well.

I'm not planing on making my ST a track only car so I didn't buy the $2600+ suspension kits with separated reservoirs for compression settings and the ISC look pretty good. They also have a set that is not for track (springs are probably softer).

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a set of those on order: ISC Suspension N1 Coilovers - Race/Track for Focus ST

Less than $1000, 2 way adjustments (kind of since compression and rebound are adjusted as a set). The top of the dampers allow for easy camber setting as well.

I'm not planing on making my ST a track only car so I didn't buy the $2600+ suspension kits with separated reservoirs for compression settings and the ISC look pretty good. They also have a set that is not for track (springs are probably softer).
Have you received your coilovers yet? That part number listed in the link (F016) is the part number for the standard MK3 Focus (-T means the dampers will be valved for track use). The rear shocks have a different mounting point on the ST, so if that is indeed a kit for the standard Focus, the lower mount on the shock wont line up. Also if you look on ISC's website, they don't list an application for the ST yet. You may want to contact ISC and Redstart Racing to make sure they sold you the right stuff.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have you received your coilovers yet? That part number listed in the link (F016) is the part number for the standard MK3 Focus (-T means the dampers will be valved for track use). The rear shocks have a different mounting point on the ST, so if that is indeed a kit for the standard Focus, the lower mount on the shock wont line up. Also if you look on ISC's website, they don't list an application for the ST yet. You may want to contact ISC and Redstart Racing to make sure they sold you the right stuff.
Haven't gotten them but I'll shoot them an email.
From the web site here is what it says:

ISC Suspension N1 Coilovers - Race/Track for Focus ST
Email to a FriendBe the first to review this product
Part Number: F016-T

Track N1 Coilovers

Spring Rate (Rear): 195-6.6kg
Front Pillowball: Camber Plates/ Pillowball
Rear Pillowball: Basic w/ Top Plates, No Camber Plates
Spring Rate (Front): 180-12kg

Fits
Ford Focus ST 2013

---

I'm aware of the track setup, which is exactly why I ordered those. Since it says that it fits the ST 2013, I thought it was good enough for me :)
But you're absolutely right, I should double check.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I cant speak for Focus, but I had a set of BC BR coilovers on my WRX and LOVED LOVED LOVED them! Plus, they stand behind the product if it fails. Cant say enough about my BC BR's. They rode nicely, where easy to adjust and install, and came with rear extenders so I could change damping levels in the rear without taking anything apart, and of course the front adjustment was on the strut towers.

Oh, and at full lowering, my lip touched the ground, so had to bring them up a bit. Mega extreme lowering potential in that application.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I cant speak for Focus, but I had a set of BC BR coilovers on my WRX and LOVED LOVED LOVED them! Plus, they stand behind the product if it fails. Cant say enough about my BC BR's. They rode nicely, where easy to adjust and install, and came with rear extenders so I could change damping levels in the rear without taking anything apart, and of course the front adjustment was on the strut towers.

Oh, and at full lowering, my lip touched the ground, so had to bring them up a bit. Mega extreme lowering potential in that application.
Turns out that since ISC is unable to confirm that the N1 will fit the 2014 ST, I'm going to get some BC instead.

The only question is if the RM type is available or not for the ST. Apparently there is a part number for those but the shop I'm going through is going to verify with BC and if the RM is avail, I'll get those instead of the BR type.

Getting them with custom springs as well (Stiffer setting for the track).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Turns out that since ISC is unable to confirm that the N1 will fit the 2014 ST, I'm going to get some BC instead.

The only question is if the RM type is available or not for the ST. Apparently there is a part number for those but the shop I'm going through is going to verify with BC and if the RM is avail, I'll get those instead of the BR type.

The front strut is the same between the ST and non-ST, and there's an RM type for the non-ST, so I gotta assume there's one for the ST as well. (The main difference between BR and RM is the front strut is inverted on the RM)
I believe the part number for the RM type for the ST would be E-22-RM.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Good choice! I chose them on my subie because of how low you could go, and the stock shocks and struts where worn out on it when I got it. I ended up loving them all around, they rode good, and they turned the car from a sloppy mess into a tight twisty tearing machine.

I saw a new guy joined the forum in the last day or so that had BC BR's and he was super slammed... if you car about that sort of thing [driving]

·
Registered
179 Posts
The front strut is the same between the ST and non-ST, and there's an RM type for the non-ST, so I gotta assume there's one for the ST as well. (The main difference between BR and RM is the front strut is inverted on the RM)
I believe the part number for the RM type for the ST would be E-22-RM.
What I got from the vendor I'm talking to is this: E-22-RM-MA
There's a small price difference between the two types but it's in the $200-$250, so not too bad.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Just installed my Fortune auto coilovers. I love them. I have to wait a month or so for auto x to truly test them
How do they ride & handle (cornering)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts