Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the turbo kit from Focus Sport is not street legal right? Are any turbos? I don't know alot about them but I don't wanna spend $3000 and fail an inspection.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No, they are not legal, no turbo kit will ever be.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What do you mean? There are cars out there that come stock with turbos.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
my point exactly, they came stock with a turbo. that means the manufacturer went through their entire design and engineering process with it meant as a turbo vehicle and jumped through all the hoops to make it legal.

a turbo focus will never be legal. Simply removing the header for the turbo manifold is a federal offense, you are removing and emissions control device(the first cat).

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Ford screwed over the aftermarket by putting a cat in the exhaust manifold. That's also why FS ran their cars with race exhaust instead of a cat-back. Why bother if the car is already deemed race only?

Depending on the state you live in, you might be able to get away with it for a while. The best thing you can do is find ways to keep your emissions below the limit if all you have where you live is a sniffer test. That's all I have to deal with here- if anything at all. I've never heard of anyone being arrested by the catalytic converter police, I'd bet they are in the same precinct as the mattress police.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
no inspections here yet but could alsoput the stock header on for inspection how often do they do it

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
elliottcarlose said:
no inspections here yet but could alsoput the stock header on for inspection how often do they do it
And remove part of the intercooler and air intake piping, any MAF adapter supplied to adjust for turbo boost, re-tune, and don't forget to plug those oil lines feeding the turbo. That's quite a project just to fool the emissions man. It's not impossible, but it would be a pain in the ass for sure.

That would be a once per year project.

·
Registered
332 Posts
damn makes you not want to go turbo only to show you got probably shell out more money so you wont get tickets cause you dont have stickers in which youd have to pay a fine...hell im too cheap for that shit

·
Registered
950 Posts
[8D] no emissions laws in Santa Fe County!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i'm gonna have to check the emissions laws in MO and see about this... i don't know if their are any regulations out here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've looked at emissions in indiana on the dmv's website. after you figure out how to navigate the site it's not too hard to figure out what your particular area does with emissions. I get checked once every two years and they hook up to the computer or whatever through that plug in. There is a $250 or so fine if I dont meet emissions.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
they fine you if you fail emissions?? thats pretty crappy...my friend failed and he just drove off...they dont care

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Usually you have a set timeframe to correct whatever failed you, then you can come back and try again. Or maybe some places you can drive off without a fine, or a sticker, and just risk whatever the ticket is for driving wiht expired inspection. [dunno]

I never got mine inspected when I switched its tags to WV (in August), I know it'll pass and the cost is only like $13, but I'm busy and ridiculously thick-headed.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Thats the one reason I love alabama, if there were tests here 3/4 of the cars on the road today would not be here. These rednecks take knocking out catalytic converters as a family activity, I drove with a race header on my SPI for about 3 years, got two tickets and not one for my exhaust or lack of a cat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've never heard of any emissions testing in the state of Indiana. Lived in Evansville, Rockport, and now Indy itself and there are no emissions tests done in any of these places. Plus, I've never met one person in 15 years anywhere in Indiana that has ever had to have his vehicle emissions tested.

Same goes for Kentucky.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
aero_student said:
my point exactly, they came stock with a turbo. that means the manufacturer went through their entire design and engineering process with it meant as a turbo vehicle and jumped through all the hoops to make it legal.

a turbo focus will never be legal. Simply removing the header for the turbo manifold is a federal offense, you are removing and emissions control device(the first cat).
So explain how aftermarket superchargers are different! Think of a supercharger as a turbo powered by a belt instead of exhaust gasses.

The whole reason why the Focus Power turbo isn't street legal is because it isn't CARB certified! I don't know much about other turbo kits for Foci, but what about the Gude kit (are they CARB certified)?

You can make your car emissions legal, just add in your own cat somewhere in the exhaust system. I'd like to think any decent exhaust shop would be able to do that!

Worst case scenario - Slap some numbers on the doors! [thumb]

·
Registered
297 Posts
As far as I know, CARB certification applies only to California (CARB = California Air Resources Board) and those few states that have assumed California's emission standards as their own. Federal emissions rules are pretty strict, basically saying that you can't change a darn thing! Heck, federal rules say you can't legally change out a cat unless it's malfunctioning or has been in service for more than 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats the fantastic thing about Tennessee. No1 cares about emissions. Only a handful of counties even test, which unfortunately the one i live in does, but as long as i keep my vehicle registered in the county my mom lives in, i never have to get it done. I mean i used to drive a 1984 impala cop car with NO exhaust. NOTHING. great...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts