Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kit offered by FS, is a bolt on kit right? Anyone have experience with how hard this is to install? Yes, I know it's not "street legal", before anyone gets into it, but oh well. Seeing that I don't get smog / emissions testing on this car for 4 years, I can put it off. And even then, they just test the OBD. So, again, let me know if anyone has this on their 2.3L Duratec and how hard it was to put it there!!!!!

[thumb]

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Look into the hiboost kit for your car , In my opinion a better kit

FS at there test at the track had to "detune" there car and run 100 octane then at the race couldnt keep it from overheating and it went into limp mode , Im not making this up it was posted in a focus forum

I think you will find the kit and the tune better in the hiboost

Tom

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Look into the hiboost kit for your car , In my opinion a better kit

FS at there test at the track had to "detune" there car and run 100 octane then at the race couldnt keep it from overheating and it went into limp mode , Im not making this up it was posted in a focus forum

I think you will find the kit and the tune better in the hiboost

Tom

Almost all your information is incorrect. We added +3 degrees spark at the last track event with a mixture of 100 octane, it wasn't straight 100 octane, more like 95-96 octane. We got 1st place and beat the 2nd place car by about 3 seconds.

Everything on the car held up fine, the only problem we had was the cooling system wasn't keeping up on the track. We have the stock radiator in the car and with +310WHP it cant remove the heat generated from the extra power.

We also had a 2.0 focus with our standard stage 2 turbo kit on the track and we got 3rd place in that car. This car was making about 210-220WHP and it never overheated the coolant. This kind of testing is neccessary to find out the limits on all the other components of the vehicle.
So with stage 1 & 2 you wont have any overheating issues, however if you push towards 300WHP you need to upgrade the radiator if the car is going to be road raced.

Oh and we have over 10-15 customers with dynos and perfect air-fuels all with graphs on our website. Where are the nice graphs from Hi-Boost that your raving about. You just were talking crap about how bad there tune was in another thread.

HERE IS YOUR QUOTE JUST IN CASE YOU FORGOT...

"That tune SUCKS it has major issues, im not sure who does there tuning but you need to get another one , and here i am telling other to look into this kit

Contact them and get that fixed , that just plain looks like crap , your larger Exh isnt causing this a poor tune is , did you contact them with this and have them look at it"

Tom

I dont get it your saying the tune is good on minute then the tune is crap the next.

The FS kit is proven with clean power and good air fuel keeping the car safe and reliable.

Thanks,
Vik

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
tdkaye1 said:
The kit offered by FS, is a bolt on kit right? Anyone have experience with how hard this is to install? Yes, I know it's not "street legal", before anyone gets into it, but oh well. Seeing that I don't get smog / emissions testing on this car for 4 years, I can put it off. And even then, they just test the OBD. So, again, let me know if anyone has this on their 2.3L Duratec and how hard it was to put it there!!!!!

[thumb]

The kit is a bolt on and it comes with full instructions with pics to help you through it.

Thanks,
Vik

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Almost all your information is incorrect. We added +3 degrees spark at the last track event with a mixture of 100 octane, it wasn't straight 100 octane, more like 95-96 octane.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*Ok fair enough so you didnt detune at the track ? It stated that you dropped from 3?? to 2?? HP what one of you are full of BS ,Hmmm i was sure i saw that on FJ where randy posted it , adding race fuel is adding race fuel you guys have been busting my chops for years over race fuel and after 6 years you now attempting to make good power and find HAY ! maybe we need a little more safety

We got 1st place and beat the 2nd place car by about 3 seconds.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*L O L lol L O L , I would hope so the second place car was NA , Your turbocharged 3rd place car couldnt even out run a NA focus , I dont think i would use that anymore as a selling point , Now wait you couldnt out run a NA focus by more then 3 Sec L O L O L O L O L YOUR KIDDING RIGHT

Everything on the car held up fine, the only problem we had was the cooling system wasn't keeping up on the track. We have the stock radiator in the car and with +310WHP it cant remove the heat generated from the extra power.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*What pure BS , Im making over 500 (over 400 on 93 Mid-Ohio rule) on my track car and had to tape some of the Raid up to keep it running at 200Deg , you may want to look into your tuning a little more , there are MANY guys pushing 320+HP and having NO cooling issues , my SVT making 326 has over 650 miles at VIR with stock engine and cooling but PROPER TUNING and it has never over heated , you do know that the tune or poor tuning will cause it to over heat right ?

We also had a 2.0 focus with our standard stage 2 turbo kit on the track and we got 3rd place in that car. This car was making about 210-220WHP.
So with stage 1 & 2 you wont have any overheating issues, however if you push towards 300WHP you need to upgrade the radiator if the car is going to be road raced.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*Or get the overboost kit and a proper tune and not have to spend tons of money on cooling issues that more then likely are tuning related , and get a kit that can our run a NA Focus cause im sure the NA focus that finished in front of there STG2 Turbo car was NOT making over 215HP or close

Where are the nice graphs from Hi-Boost that your raving about. You just were talking crap about how bad there tune was in another thread.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*I was talking crap about THAT tune in the graph posted not in general

The FS kit is proven with clean power and good air fuel keeping the car safe and reliable.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*Facts the fs kit over heated at the track so bad it went into limp mode, was on race fuel and still had issues , one couldnt out run a NA Focus and the other could only out run it by 3 sec on a 2+ mile track

All I can say is dont bring that slow crap out to the east coast, I understand you not wanting to be at Mid-Ohio now L O L !

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Vic , If you want to post about the fs kit here become a sponsor , what i posted was FACT and i got it all from FJ for anyone that wants to go see it IF they left it up

Tom

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The turbo kit did NOT overheat, The cooling system in a factory focus is not good enough for track use with the power we have. Plain an simple.
The track was around 95f degrees and we were hitting +140MPH on the straights

And I 'm sorry but if a 3 second lead around a race track isnt a big deal you must not race. A 1:33 is MUCH faster than a 1:36. And our car which won first place is a street car which gets driven almost daily. So I think we did pretty amazing out at the track with both our turbo cars.

The 2nd place car was rumered to have 220WHP from a 2.3L

Our car was a 2.0 w/ stage 2 and around 210-220WHP. Overall are car was NOT setup as well in the suspension area but we did pretty good and it was a great test day for us.

So your recommending a kit which has not been track or street tested with good results and your calling the tune crap. All I'm saying is our FS kit is tested on the street and track with good results. While the Hi-Boost kit hasn't really proven itself at all.

Thanks,
Vik

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
FocusSportTECH said:
It should be noted that the ambient temperature in the pits at the Focus Challenge was 126 degrees.

My bolt-on SVT with water wetter and a 60/40 water coolant mix started to tip the temperature needle in the third session. It was farking HOT.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
The turbo kit did NOT overheat, The cooling system in a factory focus is not good enough for track use with the power we have. Plain an simple.
The track was around 95f degrees and we were hitting +140MPH on the straights
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*Hmmm seems strange that no one else is having this mysterious overheating issue , many running on the track with your kind of power and MORE some even with all stock engines , I have 2 Foci making more HP , my SVT stock engine my turbo kit 326HP 152.2MPH top speed at VIR , Im not running hot , OrangeSVT (John) very good power , track tested turbo with all stock cooling , Finally built engine , Turbo tested at track stock Raid 320+ none of these over heating , BUT they all had good tuning

And I 'm sorry but if a 3 second lead around a race track isnt a big deal you must not race. A 1:33 is MUCH faster than a 1:36. And our car which won first place is a street car which gets driven almost daily. So I think we did pretty amazing out at the track with both our turbo cars.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*Im sorry but 3 sec in a Turbo Focus over a NA car thats nuts ,I dont think i would keep saying it , 3 sec would be what 6 to 8 car lengths or less , your saying in 2+ miles you cant pull further away from a NA Focus with your Turbo Focus then 8 car lengths

The 2nd place car was rumered to have 220WHP from a 2.3L
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*Meaning what even if that fairy tale was true you still claim to have 130 to 150 more HP and about 200 Pount Foot more TQ

Our car was a 2.0 w/ stage 2 and around 210-220WHP. Overall are car was NOT setup as well in the suspension area but we did pretty good and it was a great test day for us.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* Thats great BUT you still had about 70 TQ more then the NA car and your HP and TQ comes on faster per gear , It is good that you had a great time and things went well

So your recommending a kit which has not been track or street tested with good results and your calling the tune crap. All I'm saying is our FS kit is tested on the street and track with good results. While the Hi-Boost kit hasn't really proven itself at all.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*The hihoost kit has been out some time now on the Mazda with VERY good results, Hiboosts track record stands for itself from a Co. that has been building Turbos for many years now as well as a Co that has been dealing with the Dura engine (Highboost) vs a Co that just started making turbo kits (FS) and just started with boosting the Dura both just this year

As for what i said about that Hiboost Dyno it does need more tuning , being that one car , I said it looked like crap and voiced my opinion about the better kit just like i did with the fs kit

Tom

·
Banned
23 Posts
Tom, if you can do better, then why don't you produce turbo kits anymore?

Is it because you can't do any better? You just like to slam Focus Sport from what I've been reading here.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
he can do better, he doesn't produce turbo kits anymore because he has retired. He has been building and tuning Fords since the 80's, I was reading some old mustangs magazines from the 80;s that he was in. He has fogotten more about focus tuning the focus sport will ever learn. Who do people fly in to tune there fords, Tom or focus sport. Tom is a tuning god, and a turbo god and if he made a duratec turbo it would beat the shit out of FS's He wanted to retire early and since he was so good he did. He can bash FS all he wants, they deserve it for over charging for a shitty turbo and supercharger, plus they mark things up ridiculously

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
arrestmespi said:
he can do better, he doesn't produce turbo kits anymore because he has retired. He has been building and tuning Fords since the 80's, I was reading some old mustangs magazines from the 80;s that he was in. He has fogotten more about focus tuning the focus sport will ever learn. Who do people fly in to tune there fords, Tom or focus sport. Tom is a tuning god, and a turbo god and if he made a duratec turbo it would beat the shit out of FS's He wanted to retire early and since he was so good he did. He can bash FS all he wants, they deserve it for over charging for a shitty turbo and supercharger, plus they mark things up ridiculously
WWOOOOWWW!!![:0] [:0] [:0] [:0] [:0]
Not only is he right bout Toms being able to retire early, which is all personal and irrelevant to the fact that I was one of the lucky people who FLEW the great Tom just so he can tune our baby's, i say we because, i was not the only one that he tuned, we are talking three cars that ran like shit, were tuned and ready in a weekend. he is truly a talented person and shoulb be thanked for all the support and input to the focus community !!!

and to answer your question poster, tha hibbost kit does have more experience with dura's, my mazda friend already is placing his ourder, tey let you customize with upgrades, pretty complete if you ask me....or anyone else.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
All I can say is that I agree with the ridiculously high prices of FS parts, hence the only reason why I own just a strut bar from them.

Just toss a turbokit from the each of ya, then I'll rip it and contribute. But then again I'd even run just about any turbokit at this point since I'm so desperate for one....[hihi]

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi I just joined this site and drive a zetec but my cousin recently got a duratec and wants a supercharger or turbo kit. from what I see the focusport system looks nice but is it ok if you only do stage 1 for a while?

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
SonicBlu04SVT said:

Is it because you can't do any better? You just like to slam Focus Sport from what I've been reading here.
Your kidding right ? So your saying the fs turbo kit is perfect and cannot be inproved apon , It should of been done blowthrough as well as with an external waste gate but these cost more so profit was put before quality on both kits , The Focus cooling system is good engough and will maintain cooling in those temps with far more HP but you have to get the tuning under controle

As for slamming fs , I slam all foolish comments equaly reguardless of Co. It has nothing to do with the Co. it has to do with what they posted

What you have been reading is FACT posted on FJ by fs about the detuning and the race fuel added

Tom

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
SonicBlu04SVT said:

Thanks for YOUR contribution,is that the best YOU can do?...[:(] Did you just turn on the tv and start watching this whole thing....? Do you use the same handle on Fj ?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I really don't give a shit about all the crap flying back and forth, that's competing business. Fine. What I would ask is to PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC! [:(!]

I wanted simply to know about what turbos are offered, what's bolt on and what requires a mechanic, and HOW [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]G HARD IT IS TO DIY?! You can now return to the show at hand.

[thumb]

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
^^^ The FS kit is a pretty easy install and it comes with full instructions. Most people can install stage 1 in about 8-10 hours with little experience. Stage 2 takes an additional 2-3 hours. We have had about 15 various customers do the installs themselves without any real difficulty. As long as you have some good tools and enough experience to do an exhaust and intake install you can do the turbo install.

Thanks,
Vik

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, that was what I was looking for before all the shenanigans.

[thumb]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.