Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi well im trading in my rice cannon for a more discrete Focus Sport Setup. I ordered an uncoated sport exhaust because the stealth wasnt in yet. But since my cosworth headers are loud as hell im going to ordere the stealth muffler. does any one know how hard it is to install? i'd rather try it myself then send it back to the shop if its fairly easy. i searched the gallery but couldnt find what the stealth exhaust looked like does anyone have a picture?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just gotta cut the stock exhaust off (the only way to get it off) with a reciprocating saw

And then the FocusSport exhaust will literally bolt right up to the flexpipe....clamp together the middle pipe....and then bolt up the rear part of the exhaust. And everything will slide into the factory hangers as well (a little WD40 makes that easier)

Just need some jackstands and a floor jack and you can do it in your driveway.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
snobrdrdans_sedan said:
Just gotta cut the stock exhaust off (the only way to get it off) with a reciprocating saw

And then the FocusSport exhaust will literally bolt right up to the flexpipe....clamp together the middle pipe....and then bolt up the rear part of the exhaust. And everything will slide into the factory hangers as well (a little WD40 makes that easier)

Just need some jackstands and a floor jack and you can do it in your driveway.
doesnt sound too hard but i hope it comes with directions that tell you where to saw lol. yeah i was looking at the picture on their site but i thought that was the regular sport exhaust not the stealth. i just dont want it to be all bulky looking.

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
I know most good systems come with minor intallation instructions. Some have pics, some don't.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
ST, I see what you're saying. The Stealth looks exactly the same as the Sport, the Stealth just has an extra resonator inside to make it quieter.

I think it becomes clear when you look under the car, where to cut. Focuses have their exhaust piping put on before the rear axle, so the axle traps it in the undercarriage, unless you cut it in 2 pieces. Some people choose to cut on the area where the piping is straight, so if you had to put the stock back on, it's easier to put the pieces back together.

Oh and I've heard that if you go to AutoZone, they have an "exhaust cutter" that can be rented (refunded deposit) so you don't have to labor away with a hacksaw, or use up Sawz-all blades... or if you don't own either!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lil PZEV said:
ST, I see what you're saying. The Stealth looks exactly the same as the Sport, the Stealth just has an extra resonator inside to make it quieter.

Actually no

The Sport system has a small resonator in the front & then a muffler in the rear:

The Stealth system has another muffler (instead of the resonator) and that's what makes it so quiet. It's a 2 muffler system:

And as far as cutting the exhaust...
Preferably somewhere straight so you can clamp it together again if you go back to stock.

Some do it right after the muffler, which I did, but when I put the stock exhaust back on (a month ago) it sucked trying to clamp it back on, since the exhaust curves up after the muffler.

So my recommendation is...you might wanna cut it on the straight tubing part that is right above the axle.

It's marked in the pic below:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks for all the help im getting the sport exhaust on tuesday then just waiting for the stealth to come in and im gonna try to get it installed myself

·
Registered
337 Posts
That's what I think I'm gonna do....

Buy a used Sport exhaust and then also buy a new Stealth muffler and try it out both ways and see which sound I like. That way I can see which one sounds better and not be stuck with one choice.
I can buy the Sport system used & then a new stealth muffler (just swap the front pipe section) for about the same price as a new Stealth system anyways

·
Registered
489 Posts
Only tough part about switching the Exhaust is cutting out the stock exhaust and getting the exhaust out of the rubber hangers..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts