Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing mine today. Haven't kept up with the forums much, anyone else here have one yet? How do you like it?

·
Registered
847 Posts
And you wouldn't find much micro, because it was only finished a couple weeks ago and nobody on FF has talked about installing one on the Duratec yet.

How about we start a discussion on it so it will come up on the search from now on?

I'll start... I installed one and I really am happy with it. The ITG filter is the reason I purchased the FS intake. I think the foam filters are far better than the cloth ones. People will try and tell you the dyno gain isn't as much as the marcy or FC intake, but it's just plain speculation. They all have different dynos and different cars. I can tell you that mine is awesome, and pulls even harder now.

It's pretty much hands down that the FS is the best looking and fitting as well.

To each his own, I would reccomend ANY of the intakes because the stock one is horrid.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Thanks for your input eggyolk, and Kaminari... please post your reaction to it as well! I asked for an intake for Christmas (any one of the 3 mentioned) so hopefully I'll get it! Then it's a matter of finding someplace not frigid to install it before spring. About how long does it take to do, given I'm not an expert but also not a complete idiot.

*Edit: 2 things, the site says ~30 minutes install, is that accurate in your experience?
Secondly- it also says Coming Soon, did the 2 of you call to order?*

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Well, 20 of those minutes will be just getting the OEM part out. Might be a little longer depending on if you are crawling on the ground looking for bolts tucked up in the car.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Took me about 90 minutes because I was stubborn and did not use a jack and my car is a little low. Also I seem to have like 8 of each socket size besides the one I need anytime I want to do something, I really need to organize that drawer. Yea you have to call and order it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Egz said:
Well, 20 of those minutes will be just getting the OEM part out. Might be a little longer depending on if you are crawling on the ground looking for bolts tucked up in the car.
More if all you have are cheap metric tools :p

Tried installing it last night with no luck, we couldn't get the stock intake off with the tools we found in my roommates trunk. So I have half a stock intake still attatched right now and drove it like that to work. BTW I don't recommend ever doing that :p

The overall quality of the parts are top notch. Gotta love the filter too. [thumb]

Stock intake = retarded. I didn't really look into the engine, or at any instructions before getting into it, figured it would be a quick job, couple screws, take off the stock box and then bolt on the new intake ... yeah riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Neat.

I'm fairly interested in getting one of these 'filters' for my PZEV. How much do they cost (I know I could just go to the site but I'd rather have a little more social interaction than not), do they void the manufacturers warranty on anything, and is it in view once installed?

Thanks.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Your ripping out part of the PZEV system. A non-serviable part. Do you think Ford will warranty your car if the intake allowed more particles in your engine, which in turn destroyed your engine..?

Probably not but you could always remove the intake when you need the dealer to service the car to be safe for warranty purposes.

$279 FC price but you probably can get it cheaper.

Focus Central 2.3L Mass Air Flow kit

·
Registered
99 Posts
Right-o, thanks. Probably my 1st upgrade, if I go that route.

Oh yeah, after posting, I realized I've got another quetion. That being: How hard would it be to find replacement cartriges for the new filter thingy? Needle-in-a-haystack hard, or ask-the-guy-behind-the-counter hard?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
microtonal said:
Your ripping out part of the PZEV system. A non-serviable part. Do you think Ford will warranty your car if the intake allowed more particles in your engine, which in turn destroyed your engine..?

Probably not but you could always remove the intake when you need the dealer to service the car to be safe for warranty purposes.

$279 FC price but you probably can get it cheaper.

Focus Central 2.3L Mass Air Flow kit
This thread is for the FOCUS SPORT cool-flo intake. :p

·
Registered
847 Posts
spapadillion said:
Right-o, thanks. Probably my 1st upgrade, if I go that route.

Oh yeah, after posting, I realized I've got another quetion. That being: How hard would it be to find replacement cartriges for the new filter thingy? Needle-in-a-haystack hard, or ask-the-guy-behind-the-counter hard?
IF my some freak accident you lost the CONE portion, FS can help you out. But you DO NOT need to replace it... and I don't know what you mean by cartrige...

FS has some oil you can order with it, but the filter should come pre-oiled, it's just like the cloth filters, the oil simply makes it easier for dust to stick to the filter.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
kaminari_croc said:
This thread is for the FOCUS SPORT cool-flo intake. :p
My fault. They didn't have one on their site and I thought that maybe he was talking about the FC intake.

Oh well....as you were.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh, so you clean it instead of changing it. That'd make sense. Clean and oil. Clean and simple.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok ..... its installed. Yes, you can REALLY feel the difference. The sound is GREAT. So far, driving it one day my satisfaction level is at 100%.

The only problem I had with installation was the midsection clamp/arm/bolt to the frame needed to be moved from its little slot to the upper portion, not letting it close all the way. It took some effort, but we managed to get it clamped on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all! Ive been here before, but lost all my previous account info..Im also on clubfocus and was on focal jet untill they banned me for speaking my mind ;) anywho... I have a 2.3L PZEV 5 spd focus and currently have the Focussport Intake, Focussport Exhaust, and Focussport Chrome Stress Bar installed on my ride..

I must say that the two combined are freakin awesome!!! the tone is perfect very deep. Its nice because you can't hear it untill you romp on the peddle and when you do its the deepest growl ever!! The power is deffintly noticeable as mentioned by someone..

Im currently working with focussport with development for parts for the PZEV..by working with them I mean they borrow my car for prototyping etc etc..they have some very nice things planned [8D] Last time they dyno'd the prototype intake and exhaust combo it pulled a 142WHP and 146 lbs/TQ if I recall. We havent dyno'd the final production pieces that are currently on my car, but Im sure they will pull a little bit more power due air flow restrictions in the prototypes with ugly welds etc etc..anywho you've prolly seen tons of them by now, but here are a few pix I took..never mind the dirty engine. ;)

The intake design is way differnt from others Ive seen on the market and was well worth the wait. [thumb] peaceeee!, Vince

·
Registered
476 Posts
Awesome man. I cant wait for my birthday and tax time to come. Could you possibly post a few pics of the Focus Sport exhaust ? It would be appreciated.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I long for the exhaust, stupid holidays

·
Registered
28 Posts
Disturbed ZX3 said:
Awesome man. I cant wait for my birthday and tax time to come. Could you possibly post a few pics of the Focus Sport exhaust ? It would be appreciated.
I can try my best, but its really hard since my car is low..Im sure I can get some decent ones though :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
damn... i called fs to order the intake, and they close at 1 on fridays, i called at 1:30 [mad]guess ill have to wait till monday, i gotta stop putting things off till the last minute. [:(]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts