Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the highway with a Hyundai Tiburon and he decided to race me. He couldn't pull ahead when we were around 95-100 mph. I actually kept up with him. I am surprised because my SPI focus is only a single cam and the Tiburon is DOHC. I think those cars boast 150 hp and our's boast 110hp. I dunno . Can anybody help me ? I will post more of my encounters with other vehicles later.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The V-6 has 170 H.P. and the base model has 134 H.P. Do you know if it was the GT?, and by the way, this should be in the "Racing and Autocross" forum, not in the "North East" forum

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
I thought you were asking what a SPI could kill, and I was gonna say, maybe a lawnmower. Depending on the year of the tiburon depends on the ability. My GF has a 99 Tiburon FX (the GT version basically) and it has a very similar engine to the Zetec (DOHC 16V) and it puts down on paper 140HP at the crank and 140ft-lbs torque at the crank, so figure it is almost the same as a Zetec focus. Since a zetec only puts about 110-115 down at the wheels, I'd be guessing that you'd be lucky to be around 100whp with the SPI. If his car is an auto it could be a matter of gearing also, I know that hyundais have notoriously terrible top end gearing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...I believe it was the 2000 model. My girlfriend has the same kind. I have driven her car before and I just thought that this kid's car was kind of weak and maybe with my MagnaFlow exhaust,K&N air filter, and bosch platinum spark plugs maybe brought the race closer than it would have been. Its obvious it would but I didn't think that much.

On the other hand.. I don't like is cars trying to race me that I know I wouldn't race because I know it wouldn't be competition. Like a turbocharged 16V Talon. Or a Mustang. They should pick on someone there own engine size...like i do. Does this happen to any of you???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts