Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Possible for carmax to check it out for you? Ppl looking or wanting a RS know about the h/g issue, so I'd think ppl selling RS's would show weather it was done or not.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
RUN RUN RUN away from anything with Ford on the nameplate. You'll be glad you did.
Why? You be one of those ppl that have issues w/ a dct shifted foci? Then you think that your dct shifted foci also brings down the whole Ford line.....wow. Ford makes some great vehicles as well as some poorly designed/thought out ones....BTW, I'm not pro Ford, when it comes to a dct equipped foci/fiesta or a fwd/awd w/ a 3.5.....I doubt you have any idea 'bout the RS's....So there's a recall on the r/s head gasket, Ford is dealing w/ it. The OP was just asking about others input/ thoughts on it.....The different manufactures make some great vehicles, just really depends on what classification your looking for. Thats where research & analyzing comes in.....Like in the case for a dct shifted foci/fiesta, yea it sporty & handles great, but Ford poorly executed the trans. Yea I get the dct for mileage vs a regular trans. Then ppl would be yelling about the mileage. Same as a 3.5 in a fwd/awd, great motor & awesome w/ twin turbo's, but in a fwd, Ford threw the w/p internal, driven by the timing chain so it fits in a fwd/awd platform w/o modifying the engine such as GM did w/ the LS4 for a fwd platform.....

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
My imagination is in people building cars that they choose and not let people talk them into selling or trading in their cars. The base model vs ST argument is like the mustang V6 vs V8 argument. yeah the next trim has much more potential, but where is the fun or imagination in doing what everyone else is doing? That's how we have people on here who found out how to do the manual swap, because before they got shot down. The other thing is often times you can get the performance of the next trim up on most cars for less of the cost.
Forget for a moment that the SEL will have no resale value after you spend big $ converting it. The first thing that you should do when converting to turbocharging is lower the compression ratio of the engine. If you don't, you have to run lower boost on the relatively high compression GDI engine and then what's the point?

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
My imagination is in people building cars that they choose and not let people talk them into selling or trading in their cars. The base model vs ST argument is like the mustang V6 vs V8 argument. yeah the next trim has much more potential, but where is the fun or imagination in doing what everyone else is doing? That's how we have people on here who found out how to do the manual swap, because before they got shot down. The other thing is often times you can get the performance of the next trim up on most cars for less of the cost.
The ST is still just the middle tier in the Focus line up, there is the RS that is the V8 in the comparison. Which, sans AWD limitations, my ST should do everything else better than the RS. So i agree with your statement of the lower trim getting more performance than the next up trim. Used RS, around $28k vs same year/mile ST at $16k...Could do some serious upgrades and still come under price. Looks like similar miles/year SE would be around $11-12k. So that would leave $4-5k worth of mods to spend on the SE to get it up to ST performance.

I'm all for people doing crazy fun things with their car, I love the ST conversions. I would love to see a head to head of a stock ST vs a turbo'd SES in a quarter mile and on an autocross. Like what they did back in the day at FocusFest with a stock ST (05-07) vs stock SVT.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
And...that's dumb. The DCT was a shitshow, but they have and will continue to have good products.
Agree and will add that my 5 speed MTX-75 MK3 was one of the most fun cars I have owned. My current ride is a Gen 6 Camaro that has a perfect 50/50 front to rear weight balance so on paper it should handle better than the Focus. But I actually preferred my MK3 as a small car just handles better. The Camaro feels big and bulbous by comparison. I have always liked small cars.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Agree and will add that my 5 speed MTX-75 MK3 was one of the most fun cars I have owned.
My 5spd MK3 has been a great car for the money (bought used). It's reliable as hell, inexpensive to own/maintain and it's a blast to drive for what it is.

Ford has a lot of good vehicles that don't have the dreaded DCT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why? You be one of those ppl that have issues w/ a dct shifted foci? Then you think that your dct shifted foci also brings down the whole Ford line.....wow. Ford makes some great vehicles as well as some poorly designed/thought out ones....BTW, I'm not pro Ford, when it comes to a dct equipped foci/fiesta or a fwd/awd w/ a 3.5.....I doubt you have any idea 'bout the RS's....So there's a recall on the r/s head gasket, Ford is dealing w/ it. The OP was just asking about others input/ thoughts on it.....The different manufactures make some great vehicles, just really depends on what classification your looking for. Thats where research & analyzing comes in.....Like in the case for a dct shifted foci/fiesta, yea it sporty & handles great, but Ford poorly executed the trans. Yea I get the dct for mileage vs a regular trans. Then ppl would be yelling about the mileage. Same as a 3.5 in a fwd/awd, great motor & awesome w/ twin turbo's, but in a fwd, Ford threw the w/p internal, driven by the timing chain so it fits in a fwd/awd platform w/o modifying the engine such as GM did w/ the LS4 for a fwd platform.....
The DCT and Ford's response brought down my opinion of Ford irregardless of any other product they built. Why in hell would I spend thousands of dollars to give a car company like this a second chance to screw me?

·
Registered
949 Posts
The DCT and Ford's response brought down my opinion of Ford irregardless of any other product they built. Why in hell would I spend thousands of dollars to give a car company like this a second chance to screw me?
Good luck finding another car company that hasn't screwed owners over at some point in their history.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Guess you didn't get my point.....Tell me one vehicle manufacturer that has a great product line? Just cause you went w/ a dct focus, doesn't mean a f150 is no good. IDK what research you did before you bought your dct equipped focus, but there are better choices out there. I don't get why some ppl don't do any research in the category/type of vehicle they're looking at........

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Guess you didn't get my point.....Tell me one vehicle manufacturer that has a great product line? Just cause you went w/ a dct focus, doesn't mean a f150 is no good.
I agree with you Felix, if a person refused to buy from a company that had sold a defective product, you probably would never buy a new car because most car manufacturers have had missteps.

Ford utilized the DCT transmission in the Focus to eek out every mpg they could to lower their CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy)

If they had only installed a planetary automatic in the MK3...one can only dream.

That being said, it is hard for me to blame guys for buying a DCT Focus when Ford was allegedly withholding information about known problems while they continued to sell them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You folks don't get it. It takes a special person to say 'You effed me once, okay I'll give you the chance to do it again. If a company treats me like shite then I'll be darned if I ever purchase another product from them irregardless of the quality/performance of the second product because no product is guarenteed to be perfect, but you can have good customer service. Ford does not. It's all about what they do after the sale.

If customer service isn't important to you then buy all the Ford cars you can stand.

Look here at this very long thread at the shite people have endured because of Ford. This was premeditated.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/455833-14m01-ford-dual-clutch-warranty-extension-details-new-tsb-clutch-parts-222.html#post11411317

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I'd be curios to hear what vehicle you'll get next.....Lets see if they're whole product line is bulletproof.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
[rofl] I hear Fiat makes a better car than Ford.
Anybody who actually believes that would have to nuckin futs. Fiat pulled out of the US back in 1983 due to their poor quality rep. I was surprised when they made a comeback attempt in 2011 and I was skeptical about their quality. Sure enough, their sales have been dismal and they may be pulling out of the North American market again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anybody who actually believes that would have to nuckin futs. Fiat pulled out of the US back in 1983 due to their poor quality rep. I was surprised when they made a comeback attempt in 2011 and I was skeptical about their quality. Sure enough, their sales have been dismal and they may be pulling out of the North American market again.
Man you need to get laid. [facepalm]

21 - 40 of 62 Posts