Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I currently have a Ford Focus Sel 2017 and I really want to get more power so I was wondering what would be cheaper and what would you guys recommend. I was thinking of getting a turbo on my car since it already has an cai bigger TB and toms tune or trading it in at 27k miles for an St. But I thought about the turbo but I feel like it will be pretty pricey since I’d also would have to pay someone to put it on. Let me know what you guys think .

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Get the car that came with the turbo from the factory. It will be much more sorted and you get the other parts that came with it (suspension, brakes, seats, 6sp etc.) Now is the time to buy, longer you wait the less choices and more miles you will see on the ST's since Ford killed them off.

Your focus is probably worth $10-13k, depending if you sell it privately or trade it in and a similar year used ST is probably around $17-20k depending on options/miles.

·
Registered
915 Posts
No question - ST. It will hold value if you take care of it.

The Franken-SEL with the turbo will drop in value even faster than a regular Focus unless you put it back to stock. I wouldn't even consider buying a used car with an aftermarket turbo. Plus, you're still left with the DCT.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Like said above^^^ Go for the st as you'll get all the chassis/interior upgrades that you'll probably never do......I'd go & test drive one as well as try out the Fist as well, you'd be really surprised.......Let us know what you think. btw I used to race up on 280 when it was built.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey I currently have a Ford Focus Sel 2017 and I really want to get more power so I was wondering what would be cheaper and what would you guys recommend. I was thinking of getting a turbo on my car since it already has an cai bigger TB and toms tune or trading it in at 27k miles for an St. But I thought about the turbo but I feel like it will be pretty pricey since I’d also would have to pay someone to put it on. Let me know what you guys think .
Personally, I say to go for the turbo kit. Whether its toms full kit or your own diy kit, it makes sense from a price stand point if this is a car you want to keep over the years. If you have the money to blow, then trade in and get a ST.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Personally, I say to go for the turbo kit. Whether its toms full kit or your own diy kit, it makes sense from a price stand point if this is a car you want to keep over the years. If you have the money to blow, then trade in and get a ST.
depends on power goals too, what are the kits making for hp/tq now? low 200s?

Pretty easy to bolt on better intercool/downpipe/filter and tune for easy power on the ST; over 250whp and well over 300tq

·
Registered
830 Posts
The ST just looks so much nicer, going down the road. I can spot an ST from a mile away & I always smile when I see one. I’ve never once smiled after seeing an SEL. Do it right the first time & just buy the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Well whats the fun in a car already built for you?
Built for you, wheres your imagination? If you get bored with a stock ST then big turbo, clutch/flywheel, lsd, brakes, suspension, etc...sky's the limit; an ST just a much better starting place. I'm pushing 400whp, much fun...lots of time spent wrenching

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tons of fun in a factory ST. I'd take that any day over an SEL with a turbo. Not even close.
I drove my buddy's st. Its a good car but it doesn't feel very fun. It has a very subtle vibe to it. Im sure when I turbo my titanium it will have more of that raw feeling im looking for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
More fun in a car that runs properly than one that's constantly breaking in order to get to the next trim level's performance.
Plenty of cars can be FI converted and still retain great reliability. Even some of the members on here with toms kits have stated they have been running strong with no issues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Built for you, wheres your imagination? If you get bored with a stock ST then big turbo, clutch/flywheel, lsd, brakes, suspension, etc...sky's the limit; an ST just a much better starting place. I'm pushing 400whp, much fun...lots of time spent wrenching
My imagination is in people building cars that they choose and not let people talk them into selling or trading in their cars. The base model vs ST argument is like the mustang V6 vs V8 argument. yeah the next trim has much more potential, but where is the fun or imagination in doing what everyone else is doing? That's how we have people on here who found out how to do the manual swap, because before they got shot down. The other thing is often times you can get the performance of the next trim up on most cars for less of the cost.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts