Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage between the HB or Sedan (other than cost)? Does one drive better than the other, or are they more or less a matter of preference?

I sort of like the look of the HB, but am not quite sure if I want to pay an extra $800 for it (I've had Sedans in the past).

Does the Sedan hold more cargo than the HB? Is the Sedan any more/less safe than the HB?

(I do like that the HB has a rear wiper, that can come in handy in winter time...)

·
Registered
87 Posts
A few reviews noted that the HB was stiffer on corners than the sedan. Did not test drive a sedan because my decision for a new car was already set on a HB.

For me, my decision was swayed due to better looks and larger cargo space over all makes of cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with willcraft...I also think that the HB has better looks and I chose to HB for the cargo room. However, this will be my first HB vehicle...other than the fact I had an Explorer and currently have an Edge and use to the hatch/tailgate...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that (in general) the Sedans have more cargo room?

One benefit I can see with the HB is that it is easier to get larger boxes into the back, and the package tray that lifts when the tailgate lifts can be removed for more taller items.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I thought that (in general) the Sedans have more cargo room?

One benefit I can see with the HB is that it is easier to get larger boxes into the back, and the package tray that lifts when the tailgate lifts can be removed for more taller items.
The sedans have roughly half the cargo space, according to www.cars.com

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go Hatch, you won't be disappointed. It looks better and the storage is better. The back seats fold completely down!

·
Registered
411 Posts
First week I had my HB I bought a new gas grill in the box. It just fit in the HB but would have never fit in the Sedan. I have also brought home two loads of sod for my yard without any problems.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Definitely hatch. I have a solid waste convenience center about 4 miles down the road, so I cancelled my trash service ($25/month) and take it myself. I fit a 50 gallon can (trash), a 32 gallon can (mixed paper), a 32 gallon bag (cans), and a large bucket of newspapers all in one trip. Not a possibility to do this in the sedan. Plus, it looks cool, too. :)

·
Banned
571 Posts
A study was released last week that surprised me. 41% of 2012 Focus buyers are opting for the hatch. Didn't know the sedan was that popular and I've only seen hatchbacks on the road.

·
Registered
781 Posts
A study was released last week that surprised me. 41% of 2012 Focus buyers are opting for the hatch. Didn't know the sedan was that popular and I've only seen hatchbacks on the road.
it's actually 43%.

Go Hatch, you won't be disappointed. It looks better and the storage is better. The back seats fold completely down!
they only fold flat if you have the 60/40 split seat. if you have the solid rear seat it only folds, but it will not fold flat.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you need trunk space, you need the Hatch.
If you want something that looks like every other small car, get the sedan.

Snatch the Hatch [headbang]

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me the decision came down to looks. I got the hatch. If it had just been the sedan I may have gone with the Cruze. If you're up in the air drive both.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My experience has been the opposite. I have seen more sedans on the road than hatches.

I would of considered a hatch but I didn't like rear tail light design of the hatch. I am getting used to it the more I see them, but still like the sedan design better.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Everyone has different likes and dislikes but there are a lot of hatch lovers on this forum. I'm not one of them. I love the look of the sedan. I don't mind the hatch it's just a personal preference. If I didn't have my truck for hauling large amounts of stuff then I probably would have bought a much larger vehicle like a Honda pilot or something like that. Trunk space is meaningless for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The hatchback has far greater utility, however a lot of Foci are sold for fleet use and they probably opt for the sedan because it is cheaper.

Also, if you were buying one for your kid you might not opt to get them the more expensive one that is big enough for them to "borrow" your flatscreen TV for a weekend of partying at their friend's place.

[:I]

·
Registered
781 Posts
I didn't care for the focus sedan, I was looking at the fusion and had I gone the sedan route that would have been my choice (along with the hybrid). As they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well, I think if it's true that 43% are buying hatches, that's pretty amazing. America has always been into sedans for or bad. In fact there are vehicles that are ONLY produced in sedan form for the U.S. It also seems like most here who like the sedan better always counter with having a larger vehicle already and not needing or caring about cargo space.

However, I'm glad we all have different tastes. It would be really sad if we all drove the exact same car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts