Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

This will no doubt be frowned upon by 99% of the drivers in the world... But please be respectful.

I came across this beautiful car by SS Tuning and love the way the STI spoiler looks on the back. I've been looking for a spoiler to add to my 2013 S Focus (I know, the lowest of the low), and the finish on this car just looks perfect to me. I found it on Ebay and wanted to get some opinions from experienced and talented people on this site.

Here's the car by SS Tuning:
SS-Tuning Ford Focus St Sedan | SS-Tuning Ford Focus St Sedan | Online store SS tuning car accessories

The spoiler I found on Ebay:
St Style Rear Trunk Spoiler Wing ABS Plastic Fits 08 14 Subaru WRX STI 4DR | eBay
and
St Style Rear Trunk Spoiler ABS Plastic Primed Fits 15 17 Subaru WRX STI 4DR | eBay

I don't plan on speeding, getting pulled over isn't fun- but as an artist and engineer I enjoy the way certain cars look and I can't help but find spoilers like this very pleasing to look at. Anyways, I emailed the ebay seller about the fit and here's his reply:
The edge to edge measurement from the mounting base of this spoiler will be around 47-1/2 inches. We may only guarantee the fitment of this spoiler for a 15-17 Subaru WRX STI 4-Door Sedan. We are not sure if this spoiler may compatible for your Ford Focus Sedan. Please do note that even the overall length of the mounting from this spoiler may seem fit, but this spoiler is NOT mounting on the perfect flat surface. The 15-17 Subaru trunk curvature is most likely differ than your Ford Focus.

Please do read and understand our return policy that if you purchased this spoiler to try it on your Ford Focus, but end up need to return due to not able to work out, there will be 20% restocking fees and you will also responsible for the return shipping to get a refund.

Does anyone think I could find a bodyshop that would make this work? Is it a simple fix; grind and measure until the spoiler sits flush on the flat sedan trunk lid? Any thoughtful advice is much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
From prev. threads when the SS Tuning car first showed up all we know for sure is that they use the WRX STI rear spoiler for their Sedan kit.

Comparing measurements and looking at comparative curvatures of an actual Subaru sedan would be the best way to guess if any modifications were made to the spoiler base.

Doubt any modifications were major (if any), the point was getting something in production to use that they liked instead of spending to build something similar.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
SS Tuning is a Ukranian company selling body kits/parts along with other performance items.

The Focus sedan project lists a number of items from their catalog used, but the spoiler is not included in current catalog offerings.

Can always ask about parts for the project as the catalog mentions, if they list the items they sell and tell you to source your own STI spoiler it's a partial answer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Disclaimer this post has no helpful information in it. That being said, I don't hate it but it's not my cup of tea. This is probably because I'm not into sedans tho lol. I wish you luck, and keep us posted. I'm curious.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From prev. threads when the SS Tuning car first showed up all we know for sure is that they use the WRX STI rear spoiler for their Sedan kit.

Comparing measurements and looking at comparative curvatures of an actual Subaru sedan would be the best way to guess if any modifications were made to the spoiler base.

Doubt any modifications were major (if any), the point was getting something in production to use that they liked instead of spending to build something similar.

Yeah! Good news, I heard back from the man himself and he told me this:

"We digitized it and made molds, changed the width of the spoiler and changed the "legs" on which it mounts. So it looks similar but its completely reworked... We will be making another updated version and it will be available for sale."

Now this to me throws a wrench in my plans: Its completely custom work! This means that the body shop I've been in communications with is gonna have to do custom work to at least grind the legs and fill it with epoxy or something. That will probably be a couple hundred dollars over budget- likewise, ordering from the UK will probably be too much too.

At this point, does anyone have suggestions for websites/local stores and similar looking spoilers? What websites are trustworthy and which products should I be worried about quality? I'm looking for something very similar to this design that can be body color painted. If there isn't anything there I'm just gonna go with my original plan and get a carbon fiber looking spoiler...

And I don't want anything that looks "2000's-2005's" the style has to be angular-ish. The 2005 Subaru spoiler for example, just doesn't flow well with the new Focus angles. Thanks for any suggestions in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Definitely not liking this look as it's way too ricer for me.

I am interested in the ST sedan though. Looks dope!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Yeah! Good news, I heard back from the man himself and he told me this:

"We digitized it and made molds, changed the width of the spoiler and changed the "legs" on which it mounts. So it looks similar but its completely reworked... We will be making another updated version and it will be available for sale."
Automotive plagiarism?

I think it looks OK, but only because it has that bigger than stock rear valance, exhaust tips, and the 19" wheels and other body panels to balance it out. (Would look silly on my stock SE.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Automotive plagiarism?

I think it looks OK, but only because it has that bigger than stock rear valance, exhaust tips, and the 19" wheels and other body panels to balance it out. (Would look silly on my stock SE.)

I'm still waiting for this to come out, I really want to buy it and make my car look like a childhood Hotwheels toy haha. I've been looking into buying the STI spoiler stock from Ebay ($100 unpainted) and just trying to fit it myself. It's pretty daunting to think about getting it and finding it wont line up at all...

·
Registered
117 Posts
IMO, if you were to do something like this, I'd go for an Evo spoiler over an STI. They're still decent, but not quite as tall.

However, and this is more a problem with the design of the car itself, the Focus isn't really super aggressive looking to match a spoiler like that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
IMO, if you were to do something like this, I'd go for an Evo spoiler over an STI. They're still decent, but not quite as tall.

However, and this is more a problem with the design of the car itself, the Focus isn't really super aggressive looking to match a spoiler like that.
Have you seen the 2015 Se sport? This would fit perfectly. Maybe not as tall but I believe it looks nice.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Hey folks,

This will no doubt be frowned upon by 99% of the drivers in the world... But please be respectful.
Sure, this STI like spoiler has many use like:

Ironing board

Or a table ;)

Many STI guys goes spoilerless because it's a car thief magnet... (hey...look at me... I have a STI...heck you can see that spoiler miles away)

Just saying...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Evo spoiler is one I also looked at! I'm gonna agree it's awesome, but not as wild and something about the sharp angles of the WRX STI spoiler really grabbed my attention. I draw a lot of cars and the way I feel about the Focus and the STI spoiler is like, "Huh, that's exactly how I would have designed it."

Glad to have your opinion and tip though! I think the Focus is pretty sporty looking, moreso than the other rounded looking cars that came out the same year like the Mazda 3 and Jetta. I've always been into hard lines and angles as opposed to smooth ones. (Evo spoiler is rounded out and flat at the top so I don't think it would flow well with the Focus).

Is there anything else I could do, like put on one of those generic black carbon fiber spoilers? But paint it white? I really want it to body match the paint of the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you seen the 2015 Se sport? This would fit perfectly. Maybe not as tall but I believe it looks nice.

Sent from my 2PS64 using FF Mobile

Sorry, what spoiler are you talking about? The Focus SE sport from a 2015? Aren't those the tiny lip spoilers? I'm trying to get a different look than those.

Sure, this STI like spoiler has many use like:

Ironing board

Or a table ;)

Many STI guys goes spoilerless because it's a car thief magnet... (hey...look at me... I have a STI...heck you can see that spoiler miles away)

Just saying...
I never really considered that, I've only been worrying about how many "informed" people may laugh at my car when they realize what mashup is going on. That's a good point. I try my best to avoid leaving my car in sketchy parts of town

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sorry, what spoiler are you talking about? The Focus SE sport from a 2015? Aren't those the tiny lip spoilers? I'm trying to get a different look than those.

I never really considered that, I've only been worrying about how many "informed" people may laugh at my car when they realize what mashup is going on. That's a good point. I try my best to avoid leaving my car in sketchy parts of town
Yeah, they actually have a Spoiler (small) . Not the tiny lip Spoiler. The front looks pretty aggressive and a nice medium sized Spoiler would finish off the look :)

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts