Focus Fanatics Forum banner

761 - 780 of 811 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice to see updates. This is an amazing project that you have taken on. Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
Mounted up machined water pipe. I needed to raise it a bit to fit correctly but now it is in there secure and it still fits under the slam panel.

Measured and ordered all oil cooler lines last week which are now here along with the boost pipes that I will be cutting up and welding.

Turbo water cooler lines are going to be mounted to the spacer before the Tstat and the machined water pipe. I have done some research now on thermal siphoning (up to 20* for this to work) but this will still greatly depend on how this manifold was made as I cannot change the angle now.

Big update soon!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Oil coolers routed:

Onto the Turbo Piping and Custom Oil Catch can this weekend.

·
FUBARCUS
7,764 Posts
Best build in a long time. I love the attention to detail and how cleanly thought out everything is!

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
It's been a while since I've been here Thielt.

'Good to see you figured out the resistors. I see you have 2 oil coolers. Is one in-line with the turbo?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
I wish I had more time to work on this right now but I am working on it every chance I get.

Cold side Tubing is mocked up and welded. Welding is a little rough but we will be smoothing it out for a better finish. Also we were using a tig tip that was not ideal for our situation. It was working perfect on flat aluminum but was chunking up on the piping so we spoke with someone at airgas and I must have bought the wrong tungsten at some point.

Found a Place to mount the solenoid, glad I waited because I was going to mount it on the frame rail but it was getting very frustrating to make it work.

I needed to fab up some brackets to hold the carbon for the dash which holds two gauges and the on/off switch. It needed to be very strong because of the weight of the switch so I came up with something that can be screwed into the standard location to hold the dash together and then you are still able to bolt to the rivnuts on the bracket. I think the pictures will explain it better but it was very time consuming but I couldn't think of any other option.

I will try and get some more pictures up after the race weekend as I did a few other things.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #771
when do you think youll be online and running?
I don't know, Its a shame I just have too much on my plate right now. Aiming for Tudor weekend at Road America. Its just been non stop with work, racing, and the new house.

·
What do i put here?
8,344 Posts
idk how many times ive said it dude, but this is one of the few reasons i still come here on ff.. just to see if you've updated your thread lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #774
Turbo Piping for the most part is complete. It was my brothers first time tig welding aluminum pipe so we have a few welds to clean up but the fitment is great. I still don't care for the route of the piping on the hot side but there is absolutely no other way to do it unless I weld an elbow to the actual compressor which I may do if it becomes and issue. I will post some more picks when I have everything ready for the reinstall.

I made new lines for the turbo water feed because the nickle plated ones that were included did not have enough movement in the connections. I think because of the turbo heat they may have started to seize up?

Here you can kind of see where I ported into the RS Spacer.

I will post some more pics next week as we build the oil breather tank.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #776
Had to roll two beads in my turbo piping and I don't want to sound cheap but I didn't want to spend $300 on a tool right now to do this. That and I couldn't confirm that the one I want can do anything but one size so I took to the internet for options and came across an altered crimping pliers to do the job. I had to take my time but I think it turned out pretty good. Here is a picture of a bead and the tool I made up.

The piping is now all finished up so I will take another picture once it is installed.

Next up the oil breather tank. The template.

Cut out.

Partially welded.

It was at this point that I realized it is too tall for where I want to place it so the easiest way to shorten it was to change the filter element. I am now going to use a K&N racing carburetor assembly and mount it directly to the top face. Dimensions for this are 4.5" X 7" with a 2 " height. This should save enough room.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
Any baffling in the oil breather? Great build dude!

Sent from my iPhone using my stinky little fingers
Yes there is some baffling in the oil breather, I will try and remember to take some pictures of it before I seal it up. There really isn't a widely used "correct" so I made up my own.

Crimp tool did the trick, bet it took a while to do it that cleanly.
Yeah I just made sure to take my time but I was glad I only needed to make two of them.

·
What do i put here?
8,344 Posts
i havent been on this site in quite sometime... then i get a notification in my email about your thread.. and im back lol

761 - 780 of 811 Posts