Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellow MK3 owners...

I bought the Focus RS airbox and did the install about a week ago after receiving the item... It was on back order and only took two weeks to get here... Not bad! Ordered directly from my Ford dealership but took a print out of the online prices that are out there... The cheapest I have seen so far is $45 bucks or so online... So I took that it and they price matched it... I believe the retail is like $63-65.

I also upgraded the air filter to a K&N... All I can say is the sound is amazing when you open her up and mild when driving normal... Throttle response is significantly better and can feel it smoother throughout the RPM range... Next is to do the snorkel delete to see if that helps give the Hatch a little more pep in its step...

Video:

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey fellow MK3 owners...

I bought the Focus RS airbox and did the install about a week ago after receiving the item... It was on back order and only took two weeks to get here... Not bad! Ordered directly from my Ford dealership but took a print out of the online prices that are out there... The cheapest I have seen so far is $45 bucks or so online... So I took that it and they price matched it... I believe the retail is like $63-65.

I also upgraded the air filter to a K&N... All I can say is the sound is amazing when you open her up and mild when driving normal... Throttle response is significantly better and can feel it smoother throughout the RPM range... Next is to do the snorkel delete to see if that helps give the Hatch a little more pep in its step...

Nice one. Definitely the easiest and best bang for your buck mods. Do you have any other mods planned?

Sent from the future

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and yes I agree one of the cheapest and easy mods to do... I spent $45 on the airbox and 50$ on the K&N High flow... So for less than 100$ you got a nice mod... Next mods are suspension... Need to get rid of the wheel gap... And look into a short throw option for my shifter

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've already got one of these in the way! Another cheap mod you should look into is the focus electric rear motor mount it makes a huge difference. For a short throw shifter I have the Ford Racing one that I'm really happy with. The other options are the steeda and rebel devil ones if you want even shorter. I'd recommend getting solid shifter base bushings at the same time too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Has anyone dynod this set up versus a standard cold air intake? Probably negligible difference in power but curious to see if the tq curve comes on sooner between the RS versus others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone dynod this set up versus a standard cold air intake? Probably negligible difference in power but curious to see if the tq curve comes on sooner between the RS versus others.

I personally haven't and don't know if others who have done the RS box has... As for the butt dyno, I can feel a difference. I guess thats all that matters to me... Plus I have noticed with now driving "normally" I have gained about 2.5 MPG average better than stock box and filter...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I personally haven't and don't know if others who have done the RS box has... As for the butt dyno, I can feel a difference. I guess thats all that matters to me... Plus I have noticed with now driving "normally" I have gained about 2.5 MPG average better than stock box and filter...
I currently have a fswerks cai on my ride and the noise is fantastic. It definitely feels like the car has more power. I also have their stealth exhaust and the car sounds good. I'm curious what the gains are vs all the other intakes

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got the RS air box and in my opinion it sounds quiet and almost sounds stock, but maybe it's just me.
I think it sounds much better lidless

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I can't see this making any difference in power vs stock airbox/snorkel delete. It looks nice though.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
I got the RS air box and in my opinion it sounds quiet and almost sounds stock, but maybe it's just me.
I think it sounds much better lidless
I have no idea how loud the RS air box cover is but the Steeda CAI I have (open type) is loud!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've ordered the RS box 3 times, and every time it's been cancelled due to insufficient stock. Which dealership did you order from?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I can't see this making any difference in power vs stock airbox/snorkel delete. It looks nice though.
I think the RS box allows a little more air intake plus eliminates the resonator found on the stock box, perhaps it will be more noticeable with hard wot acceleration while at higher speeds vs fixed on a dyno (although there is an article that says the open top on the RS box was put there for better dyno #'s with hood open). I use an open end Mountune filter & have a open end Green filter I plan to try down the road. It definitely has a nice grunt sound to it and of course I also did the snorkel delete. It definitely looks good.. [thumb]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm right there with you. Before I got my intake, I just did a filter drop-in with the airbox lid off. I feel that the power definitely comes from the filter more than the box.

But hey, definitely looks cool. \o

1 - 20 of 282 Posts