Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That is yet to be seen, but mathematically-speaking I would have to assume that would probably require new rods to be reliable. The FoST rods tend to let go between 440-470 whp, which is roughly double the stock OEM whp (230-ish). And those are forged rods.

With the Mk3 putting down roughly 150 whp stock, doubling the power output is probably not going to be 'reliable'. The community is not going to know without a few examples getting to that mark first, obviously.
That is a huge misconception. Manufacturing processes have improved in the last few years with huge improvements at gravity die casting which regular pistons and internal components are at. High compression engines like the MK3 pistons which are high compression are also forged or die cast using modern methods. A regular die cast piston or rods at high compression would suffer serious cracking at those high internal Temps and pressures. Ford and most companies market "forged" to trick those who don't know about manufacturing methods or processes.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
That is a huge misconception. Manufacturing processes have improved in the last few years with huge improvements at gravity die casting which regular pistons are at. High compression engines like the MK3 pistons which are high compression are also forged. A regular die cast piston at high compression would suffer serious cracking at those high internal Temps and pressures. Ford and most companies market "forged" to trick those who don't know about manufacturing methods or processes.

What I'm saying is not a misconception. I'm not saying anything about how the Mk3 rods are made, I'm saying that if we follow the assumption (which I've admitted is an assumption and that we'll only know with actual testing) that the rods will not withstand doubling the power output that the rods will fail at or around 300 whp.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What I'm saying is not a misconception. I'm not saying anything about how the Mk3 rods are made, I'm saying that if we follow the assumption (which I've admitted is an assumption and that we'll only know with actual testing) that the rods will not withstand doubling the power output that the rods will fail at or around 300 whp.
Good enough, we can guess all we want but only time will tell when Tom is completely done with his testing.

EDIT : we would need to keep low boost levels and climb up from there. What I would do is keep pushing and just when you get that thought of "don't boost anymore" do a DVI of engine components and see if there is any cracking, buckling, or elongation of engine bolts. Last thing we would want is a blown engine and a pissed of customer.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
You buying? ;)

·
FF Affiliate
30,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am still waiting on SPA , they attempted to do a twin scroll and because of the fit the flow was way down and I had them change some things , I hope to have another one by the end of the month

I am also working on a 2.5 short block for the MK3 , 2.5 with turbo should be wild

Tom

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
2.5? Wow, I know some people are working with a 2.3

·
FF Affiliate
30,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Its been put off till May now , First 2 I turned down and asked them to stop trying to be creative and just do the manifold I sent them

Tom

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Its been put off till May now , First 2 I turned down and asked them to stop trying to be creative and just do the manifold I sent them

Tom
What designs/manifolds were they sending you Tom? Rejected because of no gains or functionality?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts

Tom
Ahaha! What kind of shop just builds something different than what you asked them to twice in a row? That usually doesn't fly lol

·
FF Affiliate
30,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
They feel they can use the Manifold I sent them and slightly change the design of it to make it better and I am all for that but after 2 tries and fails its time to make what I sent and and get me some manifolds

Tom

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
InlinePro manifolds for B series Hondas were works of cast stainless art. Each runner was internally molded to direct exhaust pressure to the turbo for faster spool, and I've NEVER heard of one cracking. Had one on my little beastie back in the day!

See if you can find their foundry?

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
There may be an already working relationship.

You usually don't want to burn bridges that you don't need to.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Random, Tom I may end up doing turbo in the future. Honestly want to be supercharged but if I do turbo how hard would it be to design a system like this. Would you help me with it ? I'd like to keep the header the same. If possible.

I'd want to get the kit through you either way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts