Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an update for the DIY turbo kit , SPA is working with me to make the 2012-2015 Cast Turbo manifold and things are going well . I received first pictures this week , made the small changes I wanted to the CAD file and they now have the new changes , I hope to have the first set of manifolds in 8-10 weeks

For those that havent seen the DIY Turbo kit ( not the full kit )

Many have emailed me asking what this DIY Turbo Kit will do , I have not had a chance to finish the tune and had to get my Wife back to the Dr , this is a short WOT 3rd gear pull to I think it was 4800 low boost vs same exact Focus NA engine with my new intake and my tune on it

It has seen over 205 but dont have that dyno where I am at , so I think thats the first NA Focus Engine to see over 200?????

Tom

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sweet! I love seeing these two pictures. It's just such a clean turbo install!

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
What all is "missing" from the DIY kit that would need to be sourced? I like the option of going with a larger turbo and external wastegate of my choice!

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Focus-Power - DIY Turbo Kit Info

What You Get:

SPA Manifold ( this has not been finished yet but is at SPA and I have put the OK to first CAD )
2.5 Down pipe with V-Band clamp for ease of install
Waste gate down pipe going back into the 2.5 down pipe slip style
Piping from Turbo to Intercooler
Intercooler
Piping from Intercooler to TB
Piping from Turbo to Filter

Price : TBD

Options Will Be:

Comp Turbo with v-band installed ($825.00 When bought with DIY Kit ) This is a very good spooling turbo and will make 350HP at the wheels

==========================================
What You Need To Get:

Turbo
BOV
Waste Gate
Hoses (2) 2 inch , (1) 2 to 2.5 , (2) 2.5 , (2) 2.5 to 3 inch (1) 3 inch
Clamps 16
Bolts,washers,nuts
Oil feed line -3
Oil return line
Vac lines
Filter
Depending on power goals Injectors

All of these parts can be purchased from eBay or any Turbo stores. Shop around to find the best deals.
==========================================

Remote Tuning:
Custom Tune with new XCAL4 shipped 950.00
Custom tune if you have XCAL 550.00

The DIY kit is for the people that want more then a entry level turbo kit and going for bigger HP down the road , this kit can start at 200 hp and go to 350hp with the Comp base turbo option , I see no reason this DIY wouldnt support over 450HP to the wheels with the right turbo

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know yet , I can only go by the hundreds of previous Turbocharged 2000-2011 Foci I have done with power from 200 to 700HP , you have to get use to TQ steer and there will be wheels spin but you right foot and knowing what to do helps a lot lol

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So,how many ponies will the stock engine handle before it goes kaboom? is 400 crankhorse realistic?
We dont know this , till we get a few tuned and up and running we wont know

Zetec was about 250-260 +/-
SVT 280-300 +/-
Duratec 260-270 +/-
MK3 240-?

Time will tell

Tom

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
My 2 cents....Probably 350 reliably and 400 MAX with the risk of kaboom. The focus RS is a good example of pushing a 4 cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G900P using FF Mobile
The RS engine is probably using fortified engine parts... forged piston / conrods.. beefier crankshaft & bearings...etc.[:)]

I wouldn't compare a $18k car to a $40k one !!!

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
The RS engine is probably using fortified engine parts... forged piston / conrods.. beefier crankshaft & bearings...etc.[:)]

^ This, the engines aren't remotely comparable. Even the FoST is having difficulty on stock internals at 400 whp.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

I never compared the two engines. I'm just stating that the RS is a good example of what a well built and tuned engine can output. My trade and my job is focused on a whole different category of engines so I can't say much in the technical specifications of automotive engines but I did read up on high compression and turbocharging and found our engines to be good candidates for some serious power. http://www.xcceleration.com/cr-boost 101.htm

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^ This, the engines aren't remotely comparable. Even the FoST is having difficulty on stock internals at 400 whp.
Although some people are into the high 500's.....just asking for a new engine trying
to push something that crazy.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Although some people are into the high 500's.....just asking for a new engine trying
to push something that crazy.
The ones in the 500's have already let go and were rebuilt stronger. One just hit 545 whp and I think he's stroked to a 2.3l.

Edit: Nope, he's 2.0l with about $20k in mods including a fully-built block and GT3076R and it has run 11.589 @ 126.70 mph. Definitely making strides with the platform.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Give me around 300whp and reliable? Done.
That is yet to be seen, but mathematically-speaking I would have to assume that would probably require new rods to be reliable. The FoST rods tend to let go between 440-470 whp, which is roughly double the stock OEM whp (230-ish). And those are forged rods.

With the Mk3 putting down roughly 150 whp stock, doubling the power output is probably not going to be 'reliable'. The community is not going to know without a few examples getting to that mark first, obviously.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts