Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from V8s I know how attractive a big bore can be in torque. I was wondering if anyone has gone the route of FPs 2.4 Big bore short block, or if anyone knows if itd be worth the premium (torque numbers would be nice, as compared to stock) over the plain .20 bore 2.3. As far as I can tell not alot of people get this done. I'm trying to go for decent N/A numbers with good reliability.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
might want to ask and check out the focus-power section...

but Tom, whom owns focuspower is retiring soon, so you'll want to pick it up really soon. and focuspower stuff is really good. and Tom is really good.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Its great to see threads that ARENT about intakes and catbacks. I dont know of anyone on here who has one done, post any info tom tells you here though [thumb]

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I heard about Tom retiring thats why I'm trying to decide whether or not while I still can. Since marcy no longer makes em. My main concerns were the gains/durability (since I'm pretty sure 2.5 would be pushing it), compared to just a port and polish of the head. But theres no replacement to displacement.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its great to see threads that ARENT about intakes and catbacks. I dont know of anyone on here who has one done, post any info tom tells you here though [thumb]
yeah intakes/catbacks seem to be more of a personal choice so it's beyond me why its so difficult, but everyones gotta cut their teeth on something. My first was a 67 289 Mustang, so I'm new to all this emissions stuff.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I thought he sold the last of those... they were a custom crank AFAIK

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Nad, the 2.4 is built off the D20 block, but the 2.5 or 2.6 is built off the D23 block which is 11mm taller. If you know large bores are good, then you know what taller decks do for ya too. If you're going to spend the money for custom cranks, rods, and pistons- go the distance man ! Mmmmm torque.

A turbo 2.5 would be a freaking monster with even 6 psi.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
^^that'd be like a volvo!

only without the extra cylinder!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nad, the 2.4 is built off the D20 block, but the 2.5 or 2.6 is built off the D23 block which is 11mm taller. If you know large bores are good, then you know what taller decks do for ya too. If you're going to spend the money for custom cranks, rods, and pistons- go the distance man ! Mmmmm torque.

A turbo 2.5 would be a freaking monster with even 6 psi.
hmmmmm, a turbo 2.5, yeah i kinda like my neck in one piece.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i read in a magazine the other day, i believe it was motor trend.. but if you wait a couple of years, and save up some money, Ford is planning on boring and stroking the d23 to make it a d25, and throw it in the escape to make it 200hp, it'll still be a 4cyl and should bolt right into the focus.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
^ I believe that's in the current Escape and Mariner- 09 model year. Yeah, and I'd check that out, but knowing how Ford puts their engines together- it's likely to be another block. It will probably be slightly wider, and slightly taller than the D23. I'm not saying it won't fit, just that it wouldn't surprise me if it was a different block.

Dig this- but only 171 hp.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/escape/features/specs/

For curiousity's sake I'm going to check out the specs on the Focus Duratec. The roller- finger follower lifters seem like an odd description of what I'd expect under the valve cover of a Duratec. Has anyone popped the top off an 08-09?

Something is amiss there. Either that's a SOHC engine, or something else is screwed up. I checked the Fusion's site, and it said "Direct acting mechanical bucket" for the valvetrain. The Escape's engine is listed as a Duratec, but I'm not seeing anything else that shows it's from the same engine family as we're used to. It could be a typo though.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may just settle for boring my current block .20 over when I build up the bottom end, that and a ported head would do nicely. Or go crazy with a 2.6 Stroker w/ true quad exhaust, but then again everyone has to have a limit.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So what are the crank options for the 2.3? Also what ranger crank will fit our block?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not sure about the years of the ranger crank, but I know focussport sells them and 150 seems to be the going rate everywhere. Which isn't bad for taking off about 5 lbs rotating weight, since the ranger doesnt have a balance shaft.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Tom is retiring but the shop that does motors will still be in production and motors will still be built

·
Registered
15 Posts
i guess if you wanted all motor boaring would be the best bet. or if you had some mad cash to give away with boost and boar... mmm.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mild boost would net me some decent numbers, but I'd have a hard time justifying the 4k on something if I don't take full advantage of it. Boring to me is a pretty standard treatment on a decent engine rebuild, and as long as its kept in check be fairly decent in price (of course not too low, you get what you pay for). Personally I'd rather get a supercharger than a turbo, but since that's impossible right now, I'll stick with good old fashion Naturally Aspirated. I'll never net 350hp, but I cant imagine ever really using that extra 150hp on my daily driver, aside from the odd challenge. Thats what my mustang is for.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts