Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Not everyone is happy about low gas prices I see.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Question. What is the reason for people not to buy a small car if the gas price are low ? I mean, they will go up eventually, and if you buy small now, you save money, no ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ha ha, and Venezuelan, and Saudi Arabian, and Iranian......
Well, Saudi Arabia is a big reason that it is low. OPEC chose not to cut production: link.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Question. What is the reason for people not to buy a small car if the gas price are low ? I mean, they will go up eventually, and if you buy small now, you save money, no ?
I have seen this cycle many times. Gas prices erode and everybody runs out and buys a sport-ute or large car. Supply issues surface, gas prices rise, everybody trades in on an economy car.

The one enduring fact is that dino oil is a finite resource.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And yet they keep finding more and more of it....

Well, Saudi Arabia is a big reason that it is low. OPEC chose not to cut production: link.
Yes. Or did the U.S. conspire with Saudi Arabia to crater the Russian and Iranian economies.... [scratch] [dunno]

Most folks don't look that far ahead in life....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have seen this cycle many times. Gas prices erode and everybody runs out and buys a sport-ute or large car. Supply issues surface, gas prices rise, everybody trades in on an economy car.

Exactly! Ironically low prices will cause us to exhaust the supply sooner which is bad for everyone in the long run.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Exactly! Ironically low prices will cause us to exhaust the supply sooner which is bad for everyone in the long run.
Great, so we could all trade-in our Ford for a Tesla [hihi]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cheaper is temporary, supply depends on price.

Expensive makes it worth it to explore/produce pricier oil, everyone cashes in on that and you've got more than needed. Price drops & it isn't worth looking for any, a shortage eventually results.

With very little "stored", any slight excess or shortage of supply can change prices quickly. Changes in actual production/refining capacity can take years, so price swings are common. Current market price/barrel doesn't reflect actual price of most used, since most purchases aren't on the "spot" market. Price swings would be even worse if most wasn't sold under long term contracts.

Wouldn't bet on "cheaper' lasting long, some of the "excess" is only projected & that projection can change fast as planned production is shelved.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It is all a game. The companies caught short will be bought up by the big guys... And magically oil prices will go back up. (I think this is 100% why Saudi Arabia did not cut production)
I bought my ST before the prices fell. But am happy I can drive it a lot for less. At least for a few months..

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
It is all a game. The companies caught short will be bought up by the big guys... And magically oil prices will go back up. (I think this is 100% why Saudi Arabia did not cut production)
I bought my ST before the prices fell. But am happy I can drive it a lot for less. At least for a few months..
The ST is that much a gas guzzler? Like my past V6 4.0L Ranger??

Why so many people complains about the ST fuel consumption?

Heck when I bought my Ranger I knew it's gonna cost me more on the gas vs my 1.8L Golf '96

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The ST is that much a gas guzzler? Like my past V6 4.0L Ranger??

Why so many people complains about the ST fuel consumption?

Heck when I bought my Ranger I knew it's gonna cost me more on the gas vs my 1.8L Golf '96
No it's not too bad unless you spend all day flooring it in low gears and going heavy into the boost. If you drive normally you can get somewhat near the rated mileage.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm glad I traded in my diesel for the Focus. Diesel is still $1 more than regular gas here and I was averaging 36-37 MPG in the TDI. Nice I can fill up for $20. I can't remember the last time I filled up that cheap. Maybe 10 years ago when I had my 2005 Focus...

I don't understand the idea of rushing to buy a ginormous vehicle with these low gas prices, I guess a lot of people don't have long-term vision...[slap]

Just wait until prices go back up again...[nutkick]

·
Registered
125 Posts
This pisses me off since I'm waiting on my car to be built (it hasn't even been issued a VIN). If you're going to shutter the factory, you should prioritize special orders first. There's no reason to stop building/shipping cars that people will take delivery on the moment they arrive at a dealership.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
This pisses me off since I'm waiting on my car to be built (it hasn't even been issued a VIN). If you're going to shutter the factory, you should prioritize special orders first. There's no reason to stop building/shipping cars that people will take delivery on the moment they arrive at a dealership.
One point the story may have missed is the changeover from 2014 to 2015also takes time.
So perhaps the factory took the usual two weeks off for the Holidays, and also added inthe actual changeover?
The storyteller may not know about that.. (Neither do I, but my bet is on the 2015 changeover as the 'real' reason)

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One point the story may have missed is the changeover from 2014 to 2015also takes time.
So perhaps the factory took the usual two weeks off for the Holidays, and also added inthe actual changeover?
The storyteller may not know about that.. (Neither do I, but my bet is on the 2015 changeover as the 'real' reason)
The changeover happens before new cars are produced and we all know the '15s have started arriving on dealer lots. The Detroit News puts most of the blame on slow C- Max sales.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The retooling was done early last month. The first production cars started showing up late last week.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Great, so we could all trade-in our Ford for a Tesla [hihi]
The minute I can buy the $30,000 Tesla coming out in 2017 (hopefully), my Focus will be up for sale immediately.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts