Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys

My 2002 zx5 2.0 is leaking oil from under the most housing. I know the pcv tubing is under there. The steel or copper pip which has the two rubbe pipes on either end. I cable tied the two ends of the rubber elbow at the front of the engine which connects to the pcv valve but still leaking.

Ths back of the steel/copper pipe is not leaking as can see that, but you cant see under the thermo housing without taking it off.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Seepage from the PCV hoses where they connect to that pipe wouldn't be unusual as they age & become loose. Only real concern is to replace the hoses before they either get soft & collapse intermittently or develop cracks/holes. Either problem will affect the engine operation.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The hose should pull off without huge amounts of effort...no clamps, just fits tight enough to seal. One end is under the thermostat housing, the other winds around to behind the intake manifold.
If you're seeing leaks, odds are the hose has become porous with age. Time to replace it--if oil can seep out, then air can seep in, which will cause performance issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even if I cable tied the elbow it still is leaking. Could the elbow just be completely gone and is there anywhere else under there it could leak.

It seems as though its coming from the front elbow which connects to the pcv valve. The back is ok, there is no oil around that pipe.

I put cable ties on the elbow on both sides but it still is leaking. feeling the cable it don't look like it is completely worn or anything but the oild is just around that fron top elbow under the thermostat housing even though I have cable tied it ticht. not sure where its coming from.

Is there anywhere else it could leak from under the thermo housing?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That hose OFTEN cracks & causes trouble at the elbows, removal would be the only way to see it well.

Could be time for a new one before the air leaks cause an operating problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the hose was leaking why would there be oil under the housing. Also iv cable tied the hose so its tight but maybe its completly screwed and still leaking from there even tho its been tied. The copper pipe for the pcv is usually covered as well.

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
Take the hint, change the elbow. You're having trouble even posting anything approaching sense. Like this..........

'If the hose was leaking why would there be oil under the housing.'

Making us seriously question your, well, you know.

The pipe is clearly steel, no copper there.

The cable tie idea, I have to say it, is quite...........well............you get the idea. Or maybe you don't as you still seem to question whether or not it works with clear evidence it doesn't. WHY?

CHANGE THE ELBOW and be done with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
AMC no need to be rude. Only way to learn is ask questions. If thats a problem dont comment when I ask something. Sure your not exactly perfect at everything. Maybe some of us just have a harder time understanding things because we are new to certain things. Small things which seem like stupidity to you may be difficult for others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts