Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whassup guys (and girls). I just joined these forums yesterday with the goal of getting an SVT Focus but now after researching the ZX3 and SVT through the posts on this site, I'm probably going for the ZX3. I'm gonna be doing a lot of upgrades right outta the box and wanted some opinions from people who have modded their focus.

First off, Im getting the obvious intake/exhaust (probably from focussport.com). What upgrades should I get following those? Header? Chip? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Looks are secondary to me. I want speed and handling first.

What is autox?

Anyone have installed the Quaife ATB? Is it a good investment?

Im no newbie to the sport compact scene. All my friends are Honda freaks and have been around modded cars for almost 6 years now. Just never really got into domestic sport compacts until recently. Wanted to be different from all the civics, integras, etc.

Thanx for your replies in advance.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Well if you want speed get tom's turbo kit. Best bang for the buck IMO. The chip is worthless if you have a 5 speed so don't worry about that till much later. You could gut the hatch and get lighter and bigger wheels.

Autox is auto cross. Not extrememly popular over here in the states but is more widely accepted in Europe.

Not many people here have a quaife. They are very expensivem but the really help provide traction to both front tires instead of peeling out tihe one tire. This mod would be later on in the process as well because it is almostworthless without the mods too push it first.

hope that helps

·
Registered
89 Posts
who knows how much weight approx. u could drop by gutting the hatch?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, im definately getting the ZX3 hatchy (probably a 2003 since they are trying to clear them out for the 2004). What consists of doing "auto cross"? I would like to have the best handling (my favorite feature) possible for the focus. Any suggestions on brands? I've just pretty much looked at focussport.com because they seem to have a really detailed site and know their sh!t.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 2003 that is what i have :) An idea of autocrossing reminds of dirt track racing except there is a lot more skills involved and alot more turns that go RIGHT and left. In professional auto you would have a co driver telling you where to turn. To get a good idea check out Colin McCrae racing 3.0 for PS2 and X-box.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
heh there are much more qualified guys on here than me but i would say if you are interested in handling get some Ford Racing Coilovers and Eibach sway bars.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
as far as gutting, you can lose 120 by taking out the rear seats, and seat belts, about 20-30 from
the sound deadner, (took me about a week to get it all out, pm me if you are going to do this and i will help you with it) and about 20-25 pounds with the carpet, headliner, and molding from the inside and outside. this includes the stock sideskirts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have gutted the seats and spare and jack, my car with 3/4 tank of gas, and me in it was 2660 lbs. I weigh in at 195lbs.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
priority mods are... exhaust, flex, cat, header, intake mani (not so priority), throttle body, intake system, pulley kit..then cam gears and cams... new head, then i would dyno tune.. then after all that go turbo or sc... if you plan on getting turbo or sc... you need at least 2.5 inch exhaust tubing. that is my plan minus the turbo... i think ill go jrsc much later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet... thanx for that post zarelli6. One more question. I live in Florida, we have no emissions testing. Can I just go for RACE header, flex pipe, and exhaust and screw the cat? Will it sound annoyingly loud and will the lack of a cat void my warranty?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i doubt it would void the warranty but i dont think if the ford dealer is down there lookin at the lack of cat they would be tooo extremely happy. but otherwise if you have no emissions test then go for it... im actually going to get the race header and then take it off and put stock back on when i get it tested... yes i know seems like alot of work.. but hey thats what i wanna do.. good luck with all that.. yes it will be loud.. but hey youll be able to smoke all those civics that are louder than you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybey there is something I am missing. Why would you buy the standard ZX3 if you have the option of getting the SVT? It sounds like you have the cash. I can't understand buying the ZX3 throwing cash in to mod it right out of the box, and having a car that is slower and doesn't handle as well as the SVT-F, and probably cost the same if not more after your mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Um...Why do you guys think a car is an investment? It's a money pit! That's all it is. We mod it and **** with it. Sooner or later we trade it in and there goes all that wasted money. I'm not saying I don't do it. We all do it. [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|]

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you have never Autox before then start lightly. Quaif is nice and hardly noticed. But if you get it and let poeple know and they find out you have it. They may force to you a higher class that you wont be ready for yet. Just to start in Autox you can take your stock car and start. Do this for the first few time you do an event. Just to learn how to drive. I have heard many poeple tell me they know how to drive a car. I just reply on a road course you dont. Learn your car first and how it handles. Then start modding according to what is going to help you decrease your lap times. In Autox power and speed can actually hurt you. So Focus on handling. Keep in mind if you lower your car you may have to move up in classes. But by the time you do that you should know your car fairly well and should be able to handle it.

In my Isuzu Impulse the only things I did was put in stiffer springs, tower bars, and a Quaife LSD. Then I worked on invisible stuff to the internals of the car. I did REALLY well. The LSD helped SOOOO much. If you have the money get one. Esspecially if you are going to be serious about Autox and interested in moving up in ranks to the road courses with other vehicles on the track.

If you have the money I would go with the SVT but that is MHO. Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
see thats where im torn. I do have the money for SVT, but I want to mod the car and with the SVT having such a high compression, it seems like it wouldnt be the suitable candidate for modding. I can get an 03' ZX3 fully loaded out the door for about 8k, thats really really low payments, plus ill have a grand or two left over to start modding it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts