Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention all focus drivers

Im am interested in knowing what kind of MPG increases you have seen after putting on aftermarket exhausts, CAI's, or both

My dad is having a hard time believing you can squeeze another 2, 3, or possible 4 mpg more than stock

A list of the mod you have added and the mpg increase would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
596 Posts
my 07 ST list 22 mpg city, 32 mgp hwy... I get about 34 to 35 mpg hwy w/cruise set at 70 mph. However, in heavy traffic like this past Christmas I did more sitting than driving, but under normal city driving conditions (foot not stuck to the floor), 24 - 25 mpg's. Country driving (non interstate 2 lane winding roads) depends on whether I am having fun or not...having fun = 25 mpg's est. and cruising 30 mpg's est.

MODS SO FAR: KN Typhoon CAI, CFM 67mm TB, balance shaft delete assembly, VF Engineering rear motor mount, F2 v3.0 header w/high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust, FRPP Sport Suspension w/1.5" drop, SCT X3 Power Flash and Dyno tuned.

I'm about to get a couple more mods, but for now this should suffice. Yes you do get more mpg's, especially on the hwy if you drive the speed limit. Better breathing, better exhaust + tune = more power and mpg's.

EDIT: It will take a lot of miles, driving easy and not driving like your in a NASCAR event to ever make up for the gas milage you would gain from modifying your engine. So, IMHO cost factor of modding nullifies a reason to do modifications for MPG's only. If you are going to do mods, do them because you want your car to perform better and for you enjoyment, not just for MPG"s

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
If Wayne was still around, he offered a highway tune with his performance tune. Mine gets appx. 16-18 with the performance tune and 36-38 with the highway tune. Thats "only" cruising down the highway though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you say you got for mpg increases with just the CAI and the exhaust alone?

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
I didn't really notice any difference with my 2009 Focus after installing a Steeda SRI, in fact it probably got worst because I love to hear the sound it makes at the 3000+ RPM range lol!
But I get around 35hwy and drops down to about 25city (heavy foot also) so it's really nice!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mike that's what I need the guys at DynoSpeed Racing here in Memphis to do before I come see you...it's gonna be a long drive and with gas prices rising again a highway "economy tune" would freakin be cool...Did you still run 90's oct with the highway tune?

Just the modifications w/o a good tune will be minimal...tuning after your modifications will be what helps the car get better milage...that is my experience, not a scientific analysis.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My mpg have gone down as I've been modding the car. I'm pretty sure it's because of my driving style though. I get too bored if I try to conserve fuel.

Right now I average 29 mpg. That isn't bad for the way I drive. When my car was stock I usually hit around 33 to 35 mpg. I could probably hit that again if I cared enough to. Maybe when gas goes back up it'll persuade me to start driving easier. It's just too fun not to take advantage of the cheap gas while it lasts. We actually had a station that sold gas for $.98 a gallon for 87 for a few hours. I couldn't use it because of my tune though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My mpg have gone down as I've been modding the car. I'm pretty sure it's because of my driving style though. I get too bored if I try to conserve fuel. Right now I average 29 mpg. That isn't bad for the way I drive. When my car was stock I usually hit around 33 to 35 mpg. I could probably hit that again if I cared enough to. Maybe when gas goes back up it'll persuade me to start driving easier.
Gas is going back up....so you might be persuaded[thumb]

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
with my mod list i get 34 on the highway average

i got 28 hwy stock

but if i get on it, mileage drops..i can only get high teens around the city now because i can't keep my right foot out of it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok. I'm guessing that none of you folks have the pleasure of having to use oxyginated fuel for the winter??? I was getting 28-32 mpg in the summer, and as soon as the weather turned cold and the oxyginated fuel came out for the season, I'm lucky to make 26-28 mpg... I drive the same 600 miles a week. The only change I see is the stinky winter gas. ;-)

·
Registered
172 Posts
If Wayne was still around, he offered a highway tune with his performance tune. Mine gets appx. 16-18 with the performance tune and 36-38 with the highway tune. Thats "only" cruising down the highway though.
How would one go about doing that?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
a cai and exhaust will lower ur mpg, just in that ull be driving it harder...more air flowing thru ur engine means more gas. ur engine is kinda just one big air pump. the mpg will not be jumping 2, 3, 4.

one possible idea is an exhaust and a stealth intake, but i dunno if the 09s can do that. was the best mpg i got.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
dont mod for gasmileage you'll be pissed with the results

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
dont mod for gasmileage you'll be pissed with the results
yup..itll just keep going down as ur car needs more fuel to match ur air...and ull be driving it harder.

im guessing that the OP is young,and wants to have his dad mod the car so he can drive it too lolz

·
Registered
744 Posts
Since Wayne is gone then who cares?

I realize that a tune is "Intellectual Property" but couldn't it also be considered abandoned? If it's abandoned then heck, share the wealth. Was the tune for an Xcal 1 or Xcal 2?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
doesnt he have to around to write it though?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I figured with a tuner, you could have your "highway mode" at the flip of a switch, and then your normal mode when you flip the switch the other way. Doesn't seem like too hard of a concept. I know my friend's ram has a little set-up like that.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
MPG on a Focus.....a subject dear to my heart. The problem you'll have reading about MPG on different cars is that there are so many variables, that very few claims about MPG can be confirmed. And MPG is largely dependent on how one is driving.

So guy "A" says he gets 35MPG with certain mods.....means little. Guy "B" can have the same setup and get 25MPG. May be completely normal.....depends on the amount of highway driving, the outside altitude and temperature, the pressure of the tires, the brand of gas, etc., and most important "the heavy foot".

I went through a lengthy series of tests trying different things without much MPG success......until I installed a Steeda SRI. That raised my MPG +3. Nothing I've done since that initial series of tests has helped a bit.

My conclusion.....If you read about someone getting a higher MPG than you are, don't think you can get the same result with similar modification to your Focus. Probably won't happen.....

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
with boltons and tune i still net the same mpg as i got stock. dont buy boltons thinking youll add mpg, youll be dissapointed imo. like bluefront said, all cars and drivers are different

1 - 20 of 31 Posts