Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,

I was looking to buy a rear door(!) rack (3 bikes) for my Ford Focus MK3 Estate (2012), Titanium+. I found out that this is a serious issue. I saw a post about bike carriers for Focus, but it does not discuss rear door carriers for the Estate model, that's why I opened this separate thread.

Please note, I'm talking about rear door (trunk) rack. For some reasons, I don't want to install neither roof carrier nor tow-bar one.

I checked all possible rack makers (Saris, Thule, Mont Blanc, Yakima) and found out that NONE of their products support this vehicle. The most probable reason for this is the plastic bottom part of the trunk lid and plastic rear bumper. The plastic lid does not allow to hook the carrier from the bottom, and the plastic bumper is simply not hard enough to carry all the weight of the rack with bikes.

I consulted with some people and they say that Thule 9002 rack actually can be used, but it requires tying the bottom straps to the hooks inside the trunk (there are two on sides in the trunk). This workaround does not sound reliable and does not resolve the weight problem (on the plastic bumper).

Any ideas, or better, any proven workarounds?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Please, don't recommend roof/towbar racks. This solution is easy :), but does not suit me personally.

Warm regards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Damn.... a wagon! Despite all the "One Global Ford" spiel, we STILL don't get all the goodies they do across the pond! [rant]

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have the Thule 9001XT Love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marine, yours is not wagon... So 9001XT fits well...

Any recommendations from European members with Wagon?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wagon luv... I wish we had that in the US. I would have gotten one. I miss being a member of the Wagon Mafia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts