Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else interested in a set of billet hubs for the mk1 & 2 cars? We race in Chumpcar/now Champcar, and have seen several other Focus teams break hubs. We missed out on getting some of the Super hubs from Golis Machine, but worked with another supplier that I found on the FJ forum, and we had the shop make 5 sets of hubs back in Spring of 2016. I've steered several teams to Golis over the past year when they made the most recent run of parts. Recently I've been approached by more teams needing these hubs, and am in the process of organizing another group buy to do so. I've discussed this with msperber, who in fact has a set of the hubs from my supplier that he purchased years before the Super hubs were available. He had no idea where they came from, so I solved a mystery for him. Neither manufacturer has had any reports of failures of their hubs.
IF you're interested in a set, please speak up now. These hubs are in fact slightly lower priced than the Super hubs, and actually have more meat in the area that the stock parts fail, another improvement over the original design. To date, my supplier has built 10-12 sets of these hubs with no reported failures. The Focus racer that I learned about these hubs from has a time attack car that runs on 275/35/15 Hoosiers on 10" wide rims and has never had any issues. Emailing pics and info will be easier, so PM me your contact info if interested..

regards,
Mike Coppola
P.S. More info can be found in the FJ forum or the Champcar forum, or feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Price is $600 a pair from my supplier and includes cadmium plating and ARP long studs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I AM able to post pics here (and not on the FJ forum), here are a few pics of the billet hubs I've had made.

Attachments

·
Thats What She Said
10,662 Posts
Would you be willing to offer machining of the ARP studs to add a bull nose?

Also would you be willing to make in the 5 lug bolt pattern or more common 4 lug? There are some machine shops that will drill and fill the holes in. Would be nice to have a native form factor in this option.

Also not to spur any false hope on me joining the buy, I got two sets of the last set of supper Hubs last year so will be set for a long time. But these things should be solid and are a 100% need. I was busting my hubs on my car at the track with a standard DOT 200 UTQG summer performance tire during HPDE events. Let alone when I start doing TT or wheel to wheel and have full racing slicks. These may cost some (I paid $700 a set for my super hubs), but its still cheaper than trying to go over to a Mazda 3 front end, or having to spend $$ on replacing half shafts, fluid, tie rod end, and machine shop pressing and bearings. I spent $300-400 in parts and labor every time one of my hubs broke. This will pay for it self in the long run and also give you insurance to know if you take that turn you wont feel and hear a pop, and have your brake pedal go to the floor and possibly loose a wheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magus2727 - thanks for sharing your experience and insight with the rest of the community. As you said, if you track or race an mk1 or 2 Focus, you WILL eventually break front hubs. It's not a matter of if, but WHEN. I did a lot of research a few years back, and consider myself pretty well educated about this issue. I have a whole folder of pictures on my iPhone of other people's broken hubs that I show other Focus teams all the time. I decided I was going to fix this problem before it happened to us.

Each time I see a new Focus team show up at a track day, or at 1 of our endurance races in Chumpcar/now Champcar, or the World Racing League, the first thing I tell them is that they need these front hubs. I've had people laugh in my face, or tell me the problem is alleviated with proper brake cooling, or that they replace hubs prior to each race as a precaution, or that "at that price, I'll just buy a new one for $50, and keep replacing them."
EVERY ONE of these teams has eventually come back to me and asked me where and how they can obtain some of these hubs! Or worst yet, some of them have abandoned racing their Foci, and moved on to another type of vehicle. They finally realized that the time lost on track, cost of replacement parts/repairs (as documented in the post above) and most of all, the SAFETY factor involved with losing a wheel at high speed - these factors all changed their minds and they purchased either the Super Hubs, or some of these hubs from my supplier.

Neither of the suppliers that have built these billet hubs have had any reports of failures of their parts. Also, neither supplier advertises or markets these hubs, as they are a very low volume item. The only way to obtain them is to have the shop(s) make a minimum batch of 10-12 pieces. Other folks like Msperber, ShelbyGT, etc. kicked off the builds of these hubs years ago. I merely carried the torch and have built relationships with both suppliers to help provide a solution to other Focus racers, just as Mike S, and others did for me.

To answer Magus2727's questions, I have good news for each question.
a) The most recent batch of hubs I bought DID include long ARP bull nose studs. A pic of my last batch is shown below.
b) My supplier WILL make the hubs in ANY bolt pattern you want them made in. At the request of someone on the FJ forum, one pair (so far) in this batch will be made with a 5x114.3mm bolt pattern, with a slightly increased hub face O.D. due to each stud being 3.15mm outboard on the hub face. (114.3-108=6.3 diameter / 3.15mm radius difference)
c) We can also double drill (2) different 4 bolt patterns into the hubs if we delete the scalloping operation that is seen on the pics above. I've researched wheel choices heavily and want a couple sets made in the 4x100mm Miata bolt pattern, as there are many wheel choices that can then be used on the Focus. My next hubs will have the 4x108 and 4x100 patterns so that i can eventually change everything over to the Miata size.
d) Now, for the best news of all - There is NO ADDITIONAL charge to build any of the special requests - hub price is still $600/pair, which includes cadmium plating and ARP long bull nose studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
After seeing the pics here I acquired a set of the scalloped hubs. Amazing quality and we have had them installed on one car which has seen a ton of action. Performance has been as described, perfect! If hubs are needed or even thinking about them these are a terrific product. The addition of the 4x100 pattern makes for an amazing upgrade.

·
Thats What She Said
10,662 Posts
Make the backing thicker to the face so you are getting a "backing plate"? 25mm spacer built in with the long ARP bull nose would be perfect... Or what ever more thickness you need for your wheels you are running. Be able to back drill from the bottom to allow for full thread length still.?

Problem now is I have the super hubs which won't brake so this cool new hub effort I will never see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issues I see (if the builder even agreed) to make a thicker hub face, or 'backing plate', as you called it are:
A) a huge increase in the weight of the hub, something racers detest...
B) the brake rotor would also move outboard, and would not line up with the caliper any more. How would that issue be corrected?

We won't pursue this request/idea for these reasons, as well as the fact that it would be much simpler, lighter and probably less expensive to just use the typical aluminum wheel spacers if needed for certain wheel offsets. While we are being flexible with offering different bolt patterns at no additional fee, we are not looking to change the design in other ways.

·
Thats What She Said
10,662 Posts
Sounds good, moment of weakness. Forgot that wheel spacers go between the rotor and the wheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No worries. I'm just trying to keep it fairly simple for the builder, since I have already asked him for other bolt patterns, etc. But please, if anyone has additional questions or requests, let me know, we will definitely consider them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are at the 10 piece minimum count to kick off this group buy.
If you don't get in now, you won't be able to buy these hubs until enough people step up for another group buy down the road, which may be year(s).
As I said, (and others have attested to) if you track your mk1 or mk2 car, or have grippy street tires - when pushed hard, you WILL eventually break the stock front hubs.
I've had 4 different race teams that turned their nose at these pieces, come back to me later asking if they could obtain some.
Speak now, or be stuck replacing broken hubs, cv axles, brake pads/calipers/rotors, fenders, etc. and losing valuable track time.

I'll be contacting the folks that have spoken up so far, to start collecting funds to get this batch started.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LAST CALL before this group buy gets kicked off next Monday 7/9/18.
We are up to 10 pairs of hubs now. (20 pieces)
As stated in the posts above, we can have these hubs made in 5x114.3 bolt pattern, and will also make a few sets that are double drilled to accept the stock 4x108 pattern AND the 4x100 bolt pattern, to be able to broaden the choice of wheels that can be used.
Special bolt pattern requests will be done WITHOUT any additional charge! Still just $600 a pair.
PM me your email address, so I can send pictures and/or additional info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another batch coming up? Need a set.

Just broke a hub today at Laguna Seca.

It broke the "good way" with wheel staying on and half shaft spinning...

BTW, thanks for everyone's input on issues like these.

·
Thats What She Said
10,662 Posts

Want to make sure, you broke a regular cast hub of OEM of equal quality. Not a super hub or other run of a upgraded high strength hub correct?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, oem original w/122k miles. Not sure how I got 3.5 hrs of total track time out it.

Must have lucked out. Somehow I missed the threads on this weak point of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Hi. As the post above yours said, we placed an order for 12 sets of hubs on July 9th. We're still waiting for those to be finished, hopefully in another week or so. Unfortunately, All 12 of those sets have been prepaid for, so we won't have any extras.

I did get another inquiry just last week. Counting yours, that makes another 2 pair wanted. The supplier's minimum order is 5 pair. I'm going to renew some posts I have out there in different forums, and also explore a few more forums to see if there is any more interest out there.
I usually keep a spare pair (or 2) for my own race car, which are already installed in a spare set of front knuckles, in case a bearing goes bad during a race.

Our intent is to build another car over the winter, so my plan was always to keep 3 pair, one for each car, plus a spare set in case either car has a bearing issue. I've sold both of my spare sets to friends I race with that inquired late about this current batch. So right now all I have is what's on my car. Once this batch comes in, I may possibly sell 1 of my replenished spare sets - that I would need to replace over the winter while we're building car #2.

Hope that all makes sense. In a nutshell, I have to decide whether to sell my spares once I get them back when we receive this batch. The risk is if there is no other interest, I may not be able to get replacements unless I buy an additional 3 sets myself, like I did back in 2016. So, hopefully there are more interested parties out there, and we can get another order going soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The batch of hubs we ordered on July 9th is almost finished. It took a bit longer than anticipated due to the large batch. The previous largest order placed was for 5-6 pairs of front hubs.
We ordered 13 pairs this time around!

I've had a few inquiries about when more might be available. If you are interested in a set of these hubs, either reply here, or PM me.

In the meantime, here are some photos of our latest run of parts.
(6 pair) 4x108 with scallops
(5 pair) 4x108 / 4x100 dual drilled
(2 pair) 5x114.3

(pics coming)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here they are.... Cad plating and press in the bull nose studs and they'll be ready to ship!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
pretty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts